Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 519762 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3150 on: May 29, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
Sometimes I've had baking soda be more effective than barkeeper's friend for some things. I'm not really sure what it is about it, but I often end up using both (generally alternating) for really stubborn things burnt on to my pans. They are very different chemicals, in any case, and baking soda is cheap, so it's probably worth trying out the baking soda just to see if it does anything before you give up on it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3151 on: May 29, 2014, 11:54:15 AM »
I think heating it back up on low to soften the plastic, using a plastic scraper to lift it off and then washing while it is still warm to the touch with BKF or baking soda or Vim might be the best option.

But will you have to have something on that burner in order to have it heat up?  That might make it a bit trickier.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #3152 on: May 29, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »
I think heating it back up on low to soften the plastic, using a plastic scraper to lift it off and then washing while it is still warm to the touch with BKF or baking soda or Vim might be the best option.

But will you have to have something on that burner in order to have it heat up?  That might make it a bit trickier.

Nah, this stovetop is halogen rather than induction.  It heats up, regardless.  I did try putting it on the lowest setting, with little result.  I'm going to get some new blades for the razer scraper, and maybe try a higher setting.  Heck, by this time, the crud might be so charred that it will work fine. 

I've looking at stoves for a couple of years as it already has a motherboard problem.  Unfortunately, I not only have expensive tastes, but nothing I've seen says "Buy me!"

greencat

« Reply #3153 on: May 29, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »

Nah, this stovetop is halogen rather than induction.  It heats up, regardless.  I did try putting it on the lowest setting, with little result.  I'm going to get some new blades for the razer scraper, and maybe try a higher setting.  Heck, by this time, the crud might be so charred that it will work fine. 

I've looking at stoves for a couple of years as it already has a motherboard problem.  Unfortunately, I not only have expensive tastes, but nothing I've seen says "Buy me!"

I really strongly recommend using ice on the plastic - it will harden it and make it much easier to remove, instead of heating it which just makes it goopy.  I had a similar incident...

JoW

« Reply #3154 on: May 31, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
Another idea - dry ice.  -109F.  It will make the plastic brittle so you can chip it off. 

mmswm

« Reply #3155 on: May 31, 2014, 05:47:41 PM »
When grating cheese on your brand new, very sharp grater, keep your fingers away.  You're not supposed to grate the cook.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3156 on: May 31, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
When grating cheese on your brand new, very sharp grater, keep your fingers away.  You're not supposed to grate the cook.

Mmmmm Flesh Boyardee.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

bloo

« Reply #3157 on: May 31, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »
I still have a permanent retainer fixed on the back of my lower front teeth. To floss I either put regular floss in a floss threader or purchase floss that has an extremely stiff end so I can thread it through the metalwork.

If you find yourself in that position while flossing, don't ignore the container of hot, melted wax on the wax-melter your DD* left in front of you on the bathroom counter. Position it far away from you lest you unknowingly dip your floss in the wax and then thread it right through your teeth!

It happened yesterday and I think I finally got the last of the wax out of my metalwork today.

*"Why didn't you put it away when you were finished?" - Me
"Because I thought someone else might want to use it." - DD

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3158 on: May 31, 2014, 10:06:45 PM »
In March, my DS worked at a Powwow and Native American festival for a weekend and when we went to pick him up, there were several things he needed to get cleaned up and tore down before we could go. One of these was a clay table, where visitors could make clay sculptures to take home of air dry clay.

We helped him clean up. I didn't realize until I got home that my newest pair of Tevas had clay on them. They had also picked up grass and seeds. I put them in the garage after rinsing them. Thursday night, I wanted to clean them so I could wear them Friday. I got most of the clay off, and put them in the washer with a cheap blanket throw.

Did I mention the sandals have velcro? I spent 30 minutes picking fluff from the blanket out of the Tevas before I could lay them to dry. I'll wash them with a sheet next time.

magicdomino

« Reply #3159 on: June 01, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
Update on the stove:

I think melting and charring altered the chemistry of the synthetic fabric.  Heat and cold have had no effect.  Perhaps if I had used the ice pack before scraping off much of the top, it would have held together enough to come up in chunks.  Most effective thing so far is a sharp blade in the scraper and either WD-40 or Goo Gone.  Goo Gone seems to be slightly more effective, but I think it functions mostly as a lubricant so that the razor blade doesn't scratch the glass.  By scraping a bit every time I'm in the kitchen waiting for something, the char is almost gone.

While I was at Home Depot buying a fresh pack of razor blades, I looked at stoves.  They did have some at decent prices, and Maytag was giving an extra discount on appliances over $500.  However, I'm not comfortable about having Home Depot install the new stove.  There were some odd adjustments made when the current stove was installed, and I don't want someone who is going to walk in, fool around a bit, announce that he can't possibly install the new one, and leave. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3160 on: June 01, 2014, 07:51:10 PM »

Mmmmm Flesh Boyardee.

*snickers*

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3161 on: June 01, 2014, 08:01:39 PM »
In March, my DS worked at a Powwow and Native American festival for a weekend and when we went to pick him up, there were several things he needed to get cleaned up and tore down before we could go. One of these was a clay table, where visitors could make clay sculptures to take home of air dry clay.

We helped him clean up. I didn't realize until I got home that my newest pair of Tevas had clay on them. They had also picked up grass and seeds. I put them in the garage after rinsing them. Thursday night, I wanted to clean them so I could wear them Friday. I got most of the clay off, and put them in the washer with a cheap blanket throw.

Did I mention the sandals have velcro? I spent 30 minutes picking fluff from the blanket out of the Tevas before I could lay them to dry. I'll wash them with a sheet next time.

Did you press the Velcro parts together? That always works for me - I've never had them come undone.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3162 on: June 02, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »
Yes I did, but the end of one strap got pulled loose and there were bits of blue fluff on all the edges of the straps. I'm calling it a life lesson.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #3163 on: June 02, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
When using a crowbar to remove portions of subfloor, and your balance is not that great, do not stand up so you can really lean down on the crowbar to get enough leverage to pry up several tiles at once. If you don't actually fall over, you will very nearly do so. And if you do fall over, don't fall backwards into the hole in the wall where the plumbing was just replaced.

Only thing wounded was my dignity, and in retrospect, it was pretty darned funny!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #3164 on: June 12, 2014, 11:50:47 PM »
Neighbour across the street some years back was occasionally interesting.

One day he came home in a shiny new, blinged out four wheel drive.  Two weeks later he came home, this time the 4X4 looked like it had had a serious altercation with something harder that it was.

So the neighbour decided he was going to fix it himself.

The weekend saw N out in the driveway, under the 4X4, welding merrily away.  In shorty shorts, no shirt, no hand, face or eye protection.  Welding above his head, while lying on his back.  I don't know much about welding, but I do know that this is Not a Good Idea TM.

Pretty soon the inevitable happened - a spark or something hit him in the face.  I'm not sure if it got into his eye or was just close to it.  Next thing N is jumping around, grabbing at his face and cussing a blue streak that could be heard around the whole estate.  He rushed inside, and didn't emerge for quite a while.

Our hero eventually graduated to Superhero.  When he did finally emerge from the house, he had a wet tea towel pressed against his face.  He then went back to welding.  On his back, no protection, welding above his head..............  still holding the tea towel to his face.