Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 531054 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3195 on: July 27, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »
After a number of incidents where I discovered that my dressy shirts were made of too-thin fabrics, I now make sure I wear a patterned bra when I got to try on clothing.  It's like the designers don't have anyone check to see if their clothes are see-through...

When I was in high school, I had to get several dressy white shirts for band performances. Most of the shirts I tried on were basically sheer, so that a white bra was totally visible through the fabric.  My own mother tried to convince me that it was okay for me to wear it that way. And no, she didn't mean I should be wearing a camisole under the shirt and have that visible (which is a relatively acceptable style).  I very quickly taught myself about wearing a tan bra under white shirts.  I still don't know what she was thinking.

my own "don't do that":  don't assume that a "rounded teaspoon" of instant coffee is the same as the amount you can heap onto a regular spoon.  Apparently for months now I had been having at least twice as much caffeine as I thought I was, which I found out when I switched to regular brewed coffee for a week and found myself getting wicked withdrawal headaches every day that week.  Turns out I can't tell the difference when I have more caffeine, only when I have less...  Ouch.

I'm so pale that, for me, a pink bra is the least visible under light coloured shirts.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3196 on: July 27, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »
Very pale beige for me.

Don't leave your Rx sunglasses at a wedding venue 9 hours away from where you live. I'll start phone tag tomorrow. I cried when I realized they were gone. I can't afford to replace them at the moment.

parrot_girl

« Reply #3197 on: July 30, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »
So you're going to your outdoor group training, and the park is pitch-black except for the pavilion in the middle where your group has set up. You're running a bit late, and in a hurry to get over to the pavilion and join in. Do you:
1. take 30 seconds more and follow the dim path through the low chain fence (posts then one line of chain link holding posts together, about 1.5 feet off the ground)
or
2. run merrily at the fence and try to jump over, because you're getting fit! and it's a low fence! and it'll warm you up!

So, I chose option 2. BAD move. One foot caught on the chain, the other foot slid on the gravel below, the first foot jerked violently off the chain and my momentum carried me over, meaning that my entire weight landed on the back of my leg, on the chain.
If I can work out how, I'll post the photo of the bruises!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:04:29 AM by parrot_girl »

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #3198 on: July 30, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
Ouch, parrot_girl! I bet that felt quite unpleasant!

When moving computers around in an area with limited space, do not watch what you're doing. Focus intently on unplugging multiple cords and moving the (blinkin' heavy) old computer off the bottom of the table where it lives because of short cords. Proceed to pull on a cord just a little bit too hard, so it comes out much more forcefully than expected. As a result, slam the side of your hand quite hard into the metal bar not three inches away from where you were just pulling that cord out.

Yeah. I did that about a week and a half ago. I don't think that bone in the side of my hand should move when I poke it.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3199 on: July 30, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
I encourage you to visit a clinic and have that checked. If it heals incorrectly, it could bother you forever.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #3200 on: July 30, 2014, 03:57:48 PM »
I'll be going to acute care within the next couple hours, actually, because I can't get in to see a doctor till I get it X-rayed. :P
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3201 on: July 30, 2014, 07:24:12 PM »
Do not, I repeat, do not, a mere 6 days before your wedding, while at the recorder's office, where they house 10lb 3 inch thick books with metal bindings, pinch a finger between said bindings.  Then do not proceed to then pinch a finger on the other hand beneath the book and the metal shelving on which it sits.  You will wind up with both fingers throbbing and thus be unable to press down on and/or grasp things with said fingers...while you still have jewelry and other crafty things to make for said wedding.  Luckily, the nails are both still in tact, but man do they hurt.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3202 on: July 30, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »
Quick healing MM!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3203 on: July 30, 2014, 07:40:27 PM »
Quick healing MM!

Thank you!

Unfortunatley, my job involves a lot of typing, so that isn't making things easier, either.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3204 on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:11 PM »
Don't walk around the house wearing your reading glasses...you won't see the floor or the furniture very well....

Or at least I didn't.

On the bright side, I could read the numbers on my sewing machine needles!
I don't have bifocals, so my choice is reading glasses or distance glasses.  Normally reading glasses win, since it's much more important to me to be able to read or do other close work than it is to see my feet clearly. 

I had taken off the bifocals to read the numbers on the danged sewing machine needles - I didn't think walking four feet from one chair to another was going to be that dangerous...

Now I know...no glasses is safer than reading glasses.  Not that I've seen my feet lately unless I'm looking in the mirror or bending over...they are just a little too far away from my face...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

GreenHall

« Reply #3205 on: August 27, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
1) Don't put the box of syrup on an upper shelf
2) If you ignore step 1, don't try to get the lawn equipment from behind the box.

16 oz of cane syrup (2 of 3 bottles in the box) is a LOT of sticky mess.

If you ignore steps 2 and 3 above, after getting the glass and the worst of the syrup off the (thankfully cement garage) floor, wet a rag rug (Wal-mart $5) and put it over the mess - it does good at absorbing/cleaning the remaining residue.

THis would be less problematic if it was not the SECOND time i've managed to drop boxes of syrup on the floor  :-[

LadyStormwing

« Reply #3206 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »
I haven't read all of these, but I've just spent a solid half hour laughing. Thanks for that.

I went as a spider one year for Halloween. The "web" was a huge felt circle with a web painted on that I wore like a 360* cape. I took all my hair and wore it into a bun on the very top of my head, put pipe cleaners in for legs, attached two "googly" eyes with Karo syrup, and, since my hair is pretty light blonde, sprayed the whole thing with black hairspray. Just the type you find that time of year in drugstores. Looked great until I tried to wash it.

Blonde hair + black hairspray = no. I had gray hair for several weeks. I'm not talking the lovely shade of silver that my grandmother sports. More like chimney sweep gray. I've never attempted hair color again.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3207 on: August 27, 2014, 10:17:33 PM »
I tried to make popsicles from orange soda.  Take my advice:  Don't.  Not only did it make a big mess when it froze, it tasted like normal ice cubes. 

mmswm

« Reply #3208 on: August 27, 2014, 10:24:13 PM »
Another lesson from my middle son.  If you remember, he's the one that taught us that it's not a good idea to ride a bicycle down a steep hill when your leg is in a cast. That cast was off a mere three weeks for our next lesson.

If you go to an event where there's a bounce house, wrestling in said bounce house is not a good idea.  If you do decide to do so, don't be surprised when your other leg gets broken and you get a new cast.

On that note, I really should be able to send my kids to the library without fear of injury.  This took place at a teen lock-in event at the central library downtown.  It was actually a neat event.  They brought in the kids after closing and had all kinds of activities.  Unfortunately, my middle son being who he is, managed to break himself again.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3209 on: August 28, 2014, 08:39:17 AM »
If you put a couple of cans of diet coke in the freezer to cool them down a bit to make a drink, don't then only use one can and leave the other can in the freezer.

Dad made the drinks and told me he'd only used one can.  Never thought to ask if he'd taken the other can out of the freezer.  Said can exploded just after I'd dropped off to sleep, scaring the bejeepers out of me.  Not that I knew that's what it was at the time.  It was the first night staying in his new apartment.

I found the problem the next morning when I went to put something in the freezer.  Very fortunate that the only other things in there were some ice cube trays.  Blew the end right off the can and the coke was frozen around the outside edge, with the inner core being what exploded.  Kind of cool, really, but not something I need to experience again.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario