News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 04:32:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 1006404 times)

Dr. F.

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3525 on: June 04, 2017, 02:57:27 PM »
Note: If you're going to put rice in your salt shaker to try to keep the salt from clumping, make sure that the rice grains are *larger* than the holes in the shaker. Otherwise, the rice will come out also, you won't notice and you will nearly crack a tooth by accidentally biting down on a rice grain.

Not that I would do something that foolish, of course.

3angels

« Reply #3526 on: June 11, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
Warning labels on prescription meds are there for a reason and it's really not a good idea to forget them.

Started a new medicine on Friday with a warning to avoid prolonged sun exposure. Guess who was a genius that finally got motivated to tackle a 4 hour gardening project on a hot, sunny day without sunscreen?  That would be me. The one that is already extremely sensitive to sunburns.

On the upside, my face didn't get burned. Otherwise it would be swollen to the point that I look like a cat and i would have to hide in my house for the next week.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #3527 on: June 11, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »
Just remembered one from last fall.

When you are receiving discharge education after surgery, don't dismiss the bit about stool softeners when taking opioid pain medications. Especially don't do this if you are a nurse, and have done this education yourself many times.
If you a) ignore the discharge education, and b) forget your own training, about stool softeners, don't be surprised if you find yourself in a position to learn if you are flexible enough to perform manual disimpaction on yourself.   

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3528 on: June 11, 2017, 06:11:28 PM »
Just remembered one from last fall.

When you are receiving discharge education after surgery, don't dismiss the bit about stool softeners when taking opioid pain medications. Especially don't do this if you are a nurse, and have done this education yourself many times.
If you a) ignore the discharge education, and b) forget your own training, about stool softeners, don't be surprised if you find yourself in a position to learn if you are flexible enough to perform manual disimpaction on yourself.   

Years ago, I had gotten really sick, but before my body let me know it was sick, I got all kinds of fun side effects. One of them was severe constipation. It was so bad, my go to fix, coffee with cream in it didn't work, and that is a pipe cleaner for me. I just could not go. So I stood in the shower, with the water as hot as I could stand it, to soften my behind. I then smeared vaseline around the exit. This helped the constipation medication move things along easier.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3529 on: June 18, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »
It is wonderful when you get a chance to enjoy a beautiful summer day taking in a rare opportunity to attend a sporting event.
It's even more special when you get to take the two family members who are celebrating this weekend and the day proves to be a double header.

Sadly, all good things must come to an end and as you wait for the crowd to clear, the driver can start to dig out the car keys.

Only...hmm...they seem to be missing.
Did they fall under the bleachers?
Nope.

Are they in the backpack?
Nope.

Should we check lost and found?
Well, let's check the car first. They are probably {sigh} locked in the car. Good thing I have auto service!

Well, it seems we have one of those good news-bad news things happening.
Or, in this case, good news, bad news, sweet monkey fritters Batman! things...

The driver found the keys and they were NOT locked in the car.

This is because my car has a safety feature where you can't lock yourself out if the keys are...in the ignition.
Keys in the ignition? That was the bad news part.

The sweet monkey fritters part?
That was him leaving the car running. In the venue parking lot. For 6 hours.

Yeah.
Don't do that...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:10:03 AM by White Dragon »
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3530 on: June 18, 2017, 10:43:47 AM »
We came out of a restaurant to get in to our "new to us" vehicle last year, VorGuy could not find the keys, so I pulled out mine to unlock the vehicle...which turned out not to have been locked...he'd left it running, too.

Fortunately, as a hybrid engine - it used very little gas in that hour we were eating and it is a quiet engine, so it might not have been noticed...

But I have been asking him to "show me the keys" as we are walking inside when he is driving "my car" for the last few months!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

EmmaJ.

« Reply #3531 on: June 18, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »
PSA - my friend's elderly parents pulled the car into the garage, closed the garage door and went to bed, not realizing the car was still running.  In the middle of the night, their cat woke them with high-pitched screams.  They realized their house was filled with fumes and everyone made it safely outside.  Hero cat!!

Please, everyone who owns a hybrid - be extra vigilent about turning off the car.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3532 on: June 18, 2017, 03:55:32 PM »
PSA - my friend's elderly parents pulled the car into the garage, closed the garage door and went to bed, not realizing the car was still running.  In the middle of the night, their cat woke them with high-pitched screams.  They realized their house was filled with fumes and everyone made it safely outside.  Hero cat!!

Please, everyone who owns a hybrid - be extra vigilent about turning off the car.

Carport, not garage - and I been known to ask him for his keys so that I can hang them up on the key rack (he leaves them sitting around in odd places and will grab my keys instead - we sold a car in 2015 with one set of keys as the other set had been mislaid for months - that second set turned up in the pockets of a pair of shorts that he found in his suitcase the next time we were packing to go on a trip - six months after selling the vehicle). 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3533 on: June 18, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
Yesterday, I bought some vegetable plants and a large tub for them to live in, since my yard is not ready to have plantings.

As I was putting the plants in the tub, I had the tub sitting on top of three 5-gallon buckets of rain water. As I picked up the tub to carry it across, I forgot about the buckets.

I tripped over the buckets, and scraped my shin from ankle to knee, severely bruising my ankle and twisting it, and also throwing my hip out (worse than usual). I'll be in long pants all week.  ::)
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #3534 on: June 18, 2017, 06:13:58 PM »

Good kitty!

This sort of thing is why I'm so glad my car beeps sternly at me if I open the driver's door with the lights still on or the key in the ignition.  :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

turtleIScream

« Reply #3535 on: September 12, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »
Suppose yourself in this scenario:

You've got fasting blood work scheduled first thing in the morning
Your daughter announces the night before that she's sleeping in (HS classes not meeting) so she can't drive her brother to school
Your husband agrees to drive the boy
Come morning, husband is rushing out the door, "but I've got early meetings!" leaving you to handle transport (daughter is still sound asleep and not available)
You're now hungry, cranky, and 45 minutes late for your lab appointment

Do not, under any circumstances, decide to stop at Hallmark to buy your husband's birthday card. They don't sell cards that say what you really want to tell him.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3536 on: September 12, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
Suppose yourself in this scenario:

You've got fasting blood work scheduled first thing in the morning
Your daughter announces the night before that she's sleeping in (HS classes not meeting) so she can't drive her brother to school
Your husband agrees to drive the boy
Come morning, husband is rushing out the door, "but I've got early meetings!" leaving you to handle transport (daughter is still sound asleep and not available)
You're now hungry, cranky, and 45 minutes late for your lab appointment

Do not, under any circumstances, decide to stop at Hallmark to buy your husband's birthday card. They don't sell cards that say what you really want to tell him.

You can always buy a blank one and add your own message of "love"

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3537 on: September 15, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »
When planning for a power outage, don't leave all your perishable items in your office refrigerator.

It stinks. So bad!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

mmswm

« Reply #3538 on: October 10, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »
Don't assume your parrot's $120/mo liquid medicine bottle is tightly shut before turning it upside down to draw the syringe.

Pardon me while I go cry now.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

GreenHall

« Reply #3539 on: October 11, 2017, 08:47:46 AM »
When planning for a power outage, don't leave all your perishable items in your office refrigerator.

It stinks. So bad!
I missed this at the time.  We left Thursday with no expectation of time off (I actually forgot my purse).  Then we got Fri/Mon off and then a week.  We did not lose power, but when I came to retrieve my purse, I did remove all dairy and other perishables.