Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 479954 times)

Trisha

• Super Hero!
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 06:38:11 PM »
Well, my mom did this one about 20 years ago, it was so bad, she still tells the story.

We make suckers, well, she's passed the torch, and I do... anyway. Her first batch ever was Cinnamon. I bet this smells great, she said to herself. She added in the flavor, and took a DEEP wiff of the cloud over the pan. BAD IDEA. She just about dropped it, she ended up throwing it into the sink because she hurt herself so bad. It's not just cinnamon that does it, but it was extra bad being a hot flavor. Burned her nose, into her throat, and I would imagine her lungs to. It wasn't a heat burn, but rather a fume burn if that makes sense.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 06:51:33 PM »
My dad once bought a HUGE pumpkin at the Farmer's Market. Think a 40 pounder.

Anyway, my mom kept saying she was going to use it to make pumpkin filling with and never got around to it. (this was in 1984, before the pie-pumpkins were bred)

My dad decides that HE is going to do it. So he spends the morning cutting up the pumpkin and baking it. He had to borrow a cookbook from the neighbor lady to see how long to bake it. THEN comes the part where he has to puree the pumpkin.

We didn't have a blender or a food processor, so what does my dad use? A hand mixer. Pumpkin EVERYWHERE! On the ceiling, floor, counter, stove, cabnets....

Dad made some pies as well and even spilled some filling in the oven.

He worked second shift and we only owned one car at the time, so when my mom came home from work, Dad walked out the door and says "There's pie in the oven, see you tonight!"

Mom then had to spend the entire afternoon cleaning the kitchen. I think we ended up eating out that night.

This is what has been referred to in my family as THe Pumpkin Massacre!

Oh and about the hair dye? Don't attempt it yourself if you have long hair! I did and missed some spots. With dark red hair dye!

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Elle

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
I had a bunch of dried blood in my hair after my car accident. With my sister's help I showered. I remember lookin at the swirling water and thinking "Huh, it looks like I'm rinsing red dye from my hair."

Just thought I'd throw the reverse in there  ;D

nonesuch4

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »
We are renovating a house.  At times, there is a lot of cardboard around. (I'm not a great housekeeper.) One of those days, I decided to use a utility knife to cut up the cardboard to fit into the recycle container.

I rationalized that the best angle to attack a large piece was to stand, with legs spread, on the cardboard, and cut toward me.  I wouldn't hurt anything underneath the cardboard, because we had just plywood on the floor.  I wouldn't hurt myself, because I knew how to safely cut something with a utility knife.

What I hadn't taken into account was the fact that once the cardboard was in two pieces, my legs would slide into a split.  I'm a little old for that kind of action.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 12:40:24 PM »
Don't eat half a bag of carrot batons thinking you're snacking healthily, after not eating a vegetable of any kind for what seems like months.

Really, don't do it.

Work up to it.  ;D

RedRuby

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »
Hahaha! The cardboard and the carrot stories have me laughing so hard! Thanks for the warning!

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 12:57:46 PM »
Hahaha! The cardboard and the carrot stories have me laughing so hard! Thanks for the warning!

I should tell you then that this also applies to dried apricots, which I did about a year ago.

You'd think I'd have learned from that, but no.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »
If you're starving and run into the store for a bite to eat, do not, under any circumstances, think you're eating healthy by grabbing a bag of dried fruit and proceeding to eat most of it.

Unless, of course, you stop in the 'paper goods' aisle first.

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 01:50:33 PM »
Do not eat a ridiculous quantity of dehydrated fruit, like apples, and then drink a large quantity of liquid. The apple will rehydrate in your tummy, the feeling of fullness becomes painful, and then you deal with the after effects of eating a ridiculous quantity of apple.

Especially do not do this if you are on a camping trip, and only have an outhouse.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 01:58:03 PM »
I learn so much here.  Don't stand on cardboard and cut it.  Don't blow crushed red pepper from a blender.  Don't eat lots of dried frut at once.

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 02:31:04 PM »
If you're starving and run into the store for a bite to eat, do not, under any circumstances, think you're eating healthy by grabbing a bag of dried fruit and proceeding to eat most of it.

Unless, of course, you stop in the 'paper goods' aisle first.

Yep. That's exactly what I did with the dried apricots. At work. I didn't stay for the afternoon.

*headdesk*

KimberlyM

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 03:14:38 PM »
I learned this morning that chasing a carton of Chocolate Milk with a carton of Orange Juice is a bad bad bad plan!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 04:04:55 PM »
You mean I am not the only one who did the apricot trick?  They tasted so good (like candy!), but I thought I was going to die.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

KCee

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »
Do not eat a ridiculous quantity of dehydrated fruit, like apples, and then drink a large quantity of liquid. The apple will rehydrate in your tummy, the feeling of fullness becomes painful, and then you deal with the after effects of eating a ridiculous quantity of apple.

Especially do not do this if you are on a camping trip, and only have an outhouse.

This is a good thing to know.  I love dried fruit and I'm sure I would have done this sometime.  Thanks! :-)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 11:43:02 AM »
When I was about 14 I helped my best friend paint her bedroom a brilliant fuchia color.  I was covered, clothing and body, in this red paint.  I walked the two blocks home and when my mother saw me she flipped out because, "What if someone saw you walking home like that and thought you'd been in an accident?!!!?!"
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.