Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 479807 times)

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2008, 11:49:37 AM »
How about this:  dishwashER liquid is not the same as dishwashING liquid.  One goes in the sink, and one goes in the dishwasher.  And there's a reson for that, too.

Bubbles everywhere!  Pity I had to miss them...

My DH did this the one time we used the dishwasher.  We had a lot of dishes that night, so DH decided to run the dishwasher.  About 5 minutes after it started, it dawned on me (no pun intended)-- we don't have dishwasher liquid-- what did DH use?

So I went into the kitchen to be confronted by what looked like a rabid dishwasher.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2008, 12:07:57 PM »
How about this:  dishwashER liquid is not the same as dishwashING liquid.  One goes in the sink, and one goes in the dishwasher.  And there's a reson for that, too.

Bubbles everywhere!  Pity I had to miss them...

My DH did this the one time we used the dishwasher.  We had a lot of dishes that night, so DH decided to run the dishwasher.  About 5 minutes after it started, it dawned on me (no pun intended)-- we don't have dishwasher liquid-- what did DH use?

So I went into the kitchen to be confronted by what looked like a rabid dishwasher.

My dad did this once and to this day, I swear he did it on purpose so he would never have to do that chore again.  Too bad it didn't work... >:D

basphillips

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2008, 12:25:13 PM »
When my sister was a young teen she had long straight hair. She learned the hard way that you must keep your hair out of the way when you are using a stand mixer to mix cake batter. Her hair was completely wound up in the beaters. Fortunately she had enough sense to turn off the mixer so she wasn't scalped, just stuck.

mandycorn

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
When I was four or five, I learned the hard way that if you're going to get cookie dough off the beaters with your finger, you should make sure mom turns off the mixer first!

It was a little underpowered handmixer, so my finger was fine, but ya, don't do that...
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Pinky830

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
Here's one that's a little more arcane, but I tell it a lot at work. I use a medication called metronidazole for a variety of intestinal ailments. It works great for a lot of things, but it is EXTREMELY bitter tasting. The way I discovered that dates back to vet school when I was medicating a horse. I was supposed to crush a bunch of these tablets and pour them into a big syringe, add corn syrup to mask the taste and give it by mouth to the horse.

So I got syrup on my finger. So I did what anyone does when they get syrup on their finger, and licked it off.

BLEAAHHH! I still had some metronidazole powder on my fingers. I ran to the nearest floor drain and spit violently in a very unladylike manner.

Sixteen years later, I still tell every client, "After you give this stuff, do yourself a favor and wash your hands after you handle the tablets."

basphillips

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2008, 04:09:53 PM »
My DH is an accident waiting to happen,so he has lots of these stories. When he was a child he learned ya don't stick your finger in your mom's  meat grinder-yea, that finger is a little shorter than it should be.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »
Here's one that's a little more arcane, but I tell it a lot at work. I use a medication called metronidazole for a variety of intestinal ailments. It works great for a lot of things, but it is EXTREMELY bitter tasting. The way I discovered that dates back to vet school when I was medicating a horse. I was supposed to crush a bunch of these tablets and pour them into a big syringe, add corn syrup to mask the taste and give it by mouth to the horse.

So I got syrup on my finger. So I did what anyone does when they get syrup on their finger, and licked it off.

BLEAAHHH! I still had some metronidazole powder on my fingers. I ran to the nearest floor drain and spit violently in a very unladylike manner.

Sixteen years later, I still tell every client, "After you give this stuff, do yourself a favor and wash your hands after you handle the tablets."

Speaking of metronidazole.....most people only drink alcohol while taking it ONE time.
We had a customer end up in the ER convinced he was dying he got so sick doing that!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Reika

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2008, 07:47:54 PM »
Mom was telling me a story about the time she gave her nephew a couple of bites of mince pie... Not the one with meat, but the one full of good tasting, rich fruit... He was 1, maybe 2, he had a small scoop of ice cream and wanted some of mom's pie. Not thinking anything about it, since he was on solids at that point, she let him have a little bit of her pie. Shortly after his mom got out of work, picked him up and took him home.

About 20 minutes later mom gets a call, just enough time for her sister to get home and put stuff away. This was the following convo:

"What the f*** did you feed my kid?!"
"Um, a couple of bites of mince pie."
"You are NOT allowed to give him of that ever again!"
"Er, why?"
"You haven't seen what's coming out of his diaper!"

My grandmother overheard their chat, and was apparently almost in hysterics from laughing so hard. Mom managed not to laugh until she was off the phone. And no, she never did give him mince again.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »
When I was two, I got ahold of some Beernuts.
A LOT of Beernuts.
My mother said it was the most horrible diaper she had ever seen in her life.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

shuniah

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2008, 01:49:33 AM »
Don't get me started on the day my husband thought that because baby can have mushy food, that a few spoonfuls of Thai soup was ok (not I was not around during this incident).

I think my plants DIED when I took that diaper off...

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2008, 07:50:33 AM »
When I was four or five, I learned the hard way that if you're going to get cookie dough off the beaters with your finger, you should make sure mom turns off the mixer first!

It was a little underpowered handmixer, so my finger was fine, but ya, don't do that...

That reminds me of a birthday card I gave my mother one year:

Good mothers let their kids lick the beaters.

Great mothers turn the mixer off first.

Pinky830

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2008, 04:54:43 PM »
My DH is an accident waiting to happen,so he has lots of these stories. When he was a child he learned ya don't stick your finger in your mom's  meat grinder-yea, that finger is a little shorter than it should be.

One summer when I was home from school, my dad was cutting grass one morning and stopped the mower to get as stick or something off the blade. That's stopped, not turned it off. Reached underneath to grab at the blade. Which was still spinning.

He ran toward the house yelling to my mom, "Don't panic, but throw me a towel!"

They both raced off the the ER (Mom asked Dad what happened, he said he didn't want to talk about it), and I got up some time later to find an empty house and blood all over the porch.

Yeesh. He ended up being fine; skin grafts are a marvelous thing. He never did stop feeling stupid about it, though.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »
I grab fresh-from-the-oven dishes and pans with my bare hands almost daily.  I don't know why.  It hurts a lot.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »
I was cooking some hamburger for tacos the other night on my gas stove.  I sort of made a small mess while stirring and knocked some meat over the side of the pan.

I *almost* reached into the burner pan to pick up the meat that was really close to the flame.  Almost.   The fact that the burger piece was merrily burning away stopped me from touching it with my bare fingers.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »
I grab fresh-from-the-oven dishes and pans with my bare hands almost daily.  I don't know why.  It hurts a lot.

I blame micowave ovens for this one.  You get used to being able to reach in and grab......
Reality is for people who lack Imagination