Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 493528 times)

Pinky830

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2009, 08:24:34 PM »
Ok, who remembers the exerciser thingie you put over the door knob?  You would work your arms and legs with a pully system thing that attached to a door knob.

Have I mentioned it attached to the door knob?

Ya.. here I was, about 12 years old merrily working away with the thing, zip zip zip zip ...  it's attached to the door knob.  My sister comes in the door.... CRACK!   splat-- the edge of the door went right into my skull.

So.. don't use the door knob exerciser thingies unless the door opens the OTHER way, away from you. 

My grandmother had one of those. I guess I should be thankful it was attached to the attic stair door.  :)

OK, here's a story. This one dates from about 1950. When my dad was a kid, one afternoon he had been riding his horse, and he rode up to the house and tied the horse to the back stairs.

The stairs were wooden and attached to the back of the house with a couple of bolts. My grandfather was sitting on the stairs reading the paper. My aunt came out the back door and slammed the door.

Anyone who knows horses want to guess what happened next?

Yep, the horse spooked and pulled back as hard as he could. Pulled the entire stairs right off the house, pitching Papa and Aunt Bonnie onto the ground. Much screaming and chaos ensued.

My brother and I grew up on that story and the mental image cracked us up, over and over.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2009, 09:13:51 PM »
I was in to super natural stuff for awhile and made this natural remedy that if it didn't kill you would cure you.  (Raw onion, garlic, horseradish, ginger and the hottest peppers you can get your hands on.)

I don't care for spicy food so I had never worked with peppers before.  The hottest I could find were Habanero chili peppers which are 100,000+.  I cut them up and threw them in what I needed and inadvertently touched my face and eye.  I have rosacea on my face and in my eye so I don't know if it is a normal reaction, but I thought that my face was going to melt off.  It owied bad.

Moral: ALWAYS wear gloves when working with peppers and don't touch anything.  (The oil can transfer too.)

CG

« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2009, 09:21:53 PM »
I was in to super natural stuff for awhile and made this natural remedy that if it didn't kill you would cure you.  (Raw onion, garlic, horseradish, ginger and the hottest peppers you can get your hands on.)

I don't care for spicy food so I had never worked with peppers before.  The hottest I could find were Habanero chili peppers which are 100,000+.  I cut them up and threw them in what I needed and inadvertently touched my face and eye.  I have rosacea on my face and in my eye so I don't know if it is a normal reaction, but I thought that my face was going to melt off.  It owied bad.

Moral: ALWAYS wear gloves when working with peppers and don't touch anything.  (The oil can transfer too.)

Standard practice for habanero peppers is to wear gloves and wash your hands and everything that touched them immediately with soap and soap and hot water and more soap (to make sure you remove all the oils). It's not just you, I promise.

caslyn

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2009, 03:00:43 PM »
I grab fresh-from-the-oven dishes and pans with my bare hands almost daily.  I don't know why.  It hurts a lot.

See I do this to ensure that the laws of the universe still apply. If it ever doesn't hurt, I know I need to call very important people and let them know that the end of the universe is possibly imminent.  ;D

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2009, 04:17:30 PM »
I grab fresh-from-the-oven dishes and pans with my bare hands almost daily.  I don't know why.  It hurts a lot.

See I do this to ensure that the laws of the universe still apply. If it ever doesn't hurt, I know I need to call very important people and let them know that the end of the universe is possibly imminent.  ;D

I only do it with my Dutch oven...I'm used to using it on the stovetop and whenever I put it in the oven I'll just grab the handles like a ninny because I'm used to them being cool....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

snowfire

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2009, 03:09:04 AM »
An ex-roomie once heard that if you are getting a cold, eat a bunch of hot peppers and they will "burn" the cold out of you.  Nope...didn't burn the cold out of her, but the screams and moans coming from the bathroom told what it did burn out of her.  :o

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2009, 02:03:54 PM »
Ohhhh! I have lots of these! Forgive any repeats, I didn't get to read the whole thread.

For men: after slicing Jalapenos, do not wash your hnds with just water and then go to the restroom. Use soap!

For both: same as above, but don't rub your eyes!

When operating a meat slicer, don't pick a stray bit of sliced turkey off the blade while it is still running. I still have that scar

Also when operating a slicer, do noy hold  a cucumber in your bare hand and slice while not looking at your hand. The bit I sliced off my thumb grew back, but not the fingerprint.

Here's mine from today:
If enjoying your salad in the car during lunch, make sure the window is closed from the direction the wind is blowing. Nothing like a grit/dead leaf salad!

CG

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2009, 08:08:14 PM »
Take your own advice. When you tell someone that the cookie sheet is hot...believe yourself!

Ah well. I think half my scars come from baking...

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »
So today I had to go in the garage to find something.

As I dug around in a bin of assorted stuff, I found...

...a kitchen pot full of chicken/beef/turkey (???) stock that had been put out to cool.

Apparently, this had happened some weeks ago.

It was fuzzy. :P

Umm.
Yeah.
Don't do that!

RedRuby

« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2009, 05:16:54 PM »
I'm notoriously bad at taking care of plants.

A friend gave me a lovely potted plant at my housewarming party several years ago. I was determined to take good care of it.

For the first couple of weeks I did, then it got unbearably hot. I had to close all the window shades to keep the sun out. It occurred to me that this would mean the plant wouldn't get enough light so I put the plant on the fire escape for a few hours to get some sun.

Well, a couple of weeks later I realized I'd left the plant out there the entire time! It was brown & crispy.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »
When starting the gas fireplace, do not place your face close to the opening.  Also, light the lighter and then turn up the gas.  Turning on the gas and then lighting the lighter just lets the gas build up so you get a fireball and singed eyebrows.

Don't walk near the stairs in the dark when you have dark colored cats.  By the time you see the white paws, it's too late.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

AFwife_3boys

« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »
Ok - this is something my mother did.

Apparently she was worried that she wasn't getting enough fiber so she bought some of those fiber crackers you can buy in the pharmacy section of the store. So she gets to work and starts snacking on crackers - however she DID NOT read the label to verify how many it is safe to eat in one day. Nope, she just ate the WHOLE DARN PACKAGE in ONE sitting - so within an hour.

Yeah - her coworkers will never let her live down the day she ate a WHOLE package of fiber crackers at her desk and spent the rest of the morning running to the bathroom.

Her fiber is fine now - she thinks!

LMBO!

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:51 PM »
And heaven help her if it isn't!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2009, 11:42:24 PM »
Yeah - her coworkers will never let her live down the day she ate a WHOLE package of fiber crackers at her desk and spent the rest of the morning running to the bathroom.

I made a very similar mistake after having the baby.  Things were *ahem* going badly, I got some wheat bran, one thing led to another...
 :-X

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2009, 02:46:14 PM »
I think I've mentioned this in another thread, but if you are playing tag, don't make a brick wall your "home free."

Emergency trips to the dentist are not fun.