Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 492691 times)

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2009, 03:51:08 PM »
This is not so much a don't as I would do it again, but a warning that i wish my vet had given me. . . maybe it will help you all.

I have three cats.  Two mellow and tolerant little anomalies that do not mind traveling (and don't complain that much about baths either!)  and number three is a little more temperamental.  Typically this is the cat that does not shut up for entire car rides.

So since i am a weirdo and like to travel with cats and asked my vet his thoughts on sedating cats and if he would ever prescribe a sedative.  He had no problem with sedating a cat for travel and said just use Benadryl (he recommended a dose. . . said twice that would not hurt the cat at all i gave 1/2 his dose. . . so yes i was careful - and the vet did ok it and even recommended it)

Well he did not happen to mention a certain side effect. . . on that luckily i did encounter online so i was prepared. . . had i not read up on it. . .  well travel plans would have been canceled so two crying idiots could rush kitty to the vet

Anyway we gave him the dose. And the cat proceeded to grow a 3-4 inch long Santa Clause beard of drool/foam.  I had read that they can foam at the month due to their perception of it being bitter - but this was insane!  it was an instant Santa Beard, he would then shake it off and grow another within moments. . . he likely grew 4 before it stopped.  My guy and i cracked up and really kicked ourself for not getting a picture of this cat sitting perfectly sill and upright glaring at us with a beard.  He did not seem in distress at all. . . . just sat there with a beard.

So if you ever give your kitty Benadryl. . .  fair warning.

FWIW. . .  it worked wonderfully.  Within a few minutes kitty was sleeping peacefully, but still wakeable.  He fought a little at being leashed and being put in the carrier, but far less than usual.  He meowed like 10 times in a 1 hour long drive - took a nice long nap at out destination, and was perfectly happy to snuggle me in bed that night - last time i traveled with him he would not come out of the bed. . . this time he was friendly - even with strangers which is rare for him. . . i think he managed to sleep through most of the stress of the car ride and then just did not care as much about his destination. We did not do it on the way back for a comparison. . .  yowled the whole way home.  The other cats were good too, but they kinda always are.

Ohh and just because you have had five or six cats that were too dumb to know there was a bird in their house. . . . don't think all cats will continue the tradition. And don't assume that a cat will realize eating a bird bigger than it is likely not going to work so well.

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »
I am possitive this is a repeat, but I feel it is one that cannot be stated enough.
Do not, no matter how hungry you are, how good it looks, how great is smells, eat a pizza immediately after taking it out of the oven.
Let it sit for at least a few minutes.
Pizzamouth is a horrible thing.

My guy told me a weird one in connection with that. 

Apparently his mother and her sister thought that it was, un-ladylike or unattractive or something to pant with hot food (i.e. too hot pizza) So they would purposefully eat too hot pizza and press it into the roof of their mouths to burn themselves as practice for a dating.

I really do not get that one.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »
I am possitive this is a repeat, but I feel it is one that cannot be stated enough.
Do not, no matter how hungry you are, how good it looks, how great is smells, eat a pizza immediately after taking it out of the oven.

Apparently his mother and her sister thought that it was, un-ladylike or unattractive or something to pant with hot food (i.e. too hot pizza) So they would purposefully eat too hot pizza and press it into the roof of their mouths to burn themselves as practice for a d@ting.

Why not just wait for your food to cool before eating it?!  ???

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »

Apparently his mother and her sister thought that it was, un-ladylike or unattractive or something to pant with hot food (i.e. too hot pizza) So they would purposefully eat too hot pizza and press it into the roof of their mouths to burn themselves as practice for a d@ting.

Why not just wait for your food to cool before eating it?!  ???

No idea.  For them it was some kind of endurance training or something. . . and the apparently laugh about it to this day as a found memory.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
No matter how inviting it looks, do not open the jar of ground cayenne pepper and sniff it.

Trust a girl on this.

It was FAR worse than the whole frying-bacon-topless thing.
Words mean things.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »
When I was four or five, I learned the hard way that if you're going to get cookie dough off the beaters with your finger, you should make sure mom turns off the mixer first!

It was a little underpowered handmixer, so my finger was fine, but ya, don't do that...
Finger? You wuss! Try using your tongue like a real man.

In that same vein, no matter how appetizing it looks, do not lick the side of the stainless-steel fridge. Jamie and Adam are right.
Words mean things.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »
No matter how inviting it looks, do not open the jar of ground cayenne pepper and sniff it.

On that note, when emptying a jar of pepper, do not blow on the inside to get all the pepper out.  Especially if your eyes are open.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

dawbs

« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2009, 09:21:28 PM »
Oh, Purplemuse's brick wall =/= home base reminded me of another one...

Chairs that swivel are NOT to be used as step stools.
EVER.
That was a long ER trip.
And everyone in the family got to explain, repeatedly that no, no one hit us (although it sure as shooting looked like someone had taken a right hand swing--sis fell face down onto a bedpost) that it was an accident...that actually occurred while cleaning up toys.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
I learned this one today:

Don't wear pretty polka dot underwear with bright purple trim under light tan dress pants.

snowfire

« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2009, 02:13:17 AM »
If you drop the soldering iron, just wave goodbye.  DO NOTtry to grab it. You will grab the wrong end.

Paper Roses

« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2009, 02:22:23 AM »

Egads!  How did they practice for marriage - jump into a vat full of acid?
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2009, 02:48:42 AM »

On that note, when emptying a jar of pepper, do not blow on the inside to get all the pepper out.  Especially if your eyes are open.
On a related note, don't spill pepper on the electric hob while it's switched on. It will burn onto the hob, it fill fill the air with black smoke which burns your throat and eyes, and the smoke won't clear for hours.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2009, 02:50:38 PM »
If you drop the soldering iron, just wave goodbye.  DO NOTtry to grab it. You will grab the wrong end.

On the same note, when you knock a potted cactus off the counter, let it fall.

Do not give into the reflex to catch it on the way down!

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »

On the same note, when you knock a potted cactus off the counter, let it fall.

Do not give into the reflex to catch it on the way down!

This goes for knives, too.  Just back up as fast as you can.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2009, 04:26:28 PM »
 I have a tiny bathroom, it only has a toilet and a shower stall.  It doesn't even have any outlets.  I also have a two shower  heads, one fixed and one hand held.  When I take my shower I turn on the morning news on the radio in the kitchen and place it on the floor by the door of the bathroom. 

Last night when the kid took his shower he left the water on the shower head and left the it hanging instead of put back in its holder. 

So I did my normal routine and place the radio on the floor, reached in and turned on the water and I was wet, the floor was wet, everything was wet.  It  just went everywhere and I couldn't figure out which to turn off first. Do I try to turn off the water while sharing it with a plugged in radio or do I move the plugged in radio while standing in water?

I really have no idea how I wasn't electrocuted.