Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 506892 times)

RedRuby

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »
I recently used one of those big, sunken bathtubs at a hotel. Conveniently, they added a hand-held shower head next to the tub so you could wash your hair in the tub & rinse out the tub if you leave a ring of bubble bath.

I wasn't paying attention to which direction the shower head was aiming when I was fiddling with all the switches (it took me a while to figure out how to get it on). I happened to turn it on while aiming it directly at my face. I was so startled & amused that I moved my head out of the way (after getting hit in the face with a blast of warm water) and drenched the ceiling right above me. In my fit of laughter I threw both arms up & out (still holding the shower head) and managed to drench the entire ceiling. This all took place in a matter of seconds.

Pinky830

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2009, 05:07:18 PM »
If the roast recipe has you sear it in the pan before putting it in the oven, and the instructions begin with "Turn the vent fan on..." believe it.

lilfox

« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
If the roast recipe has you sear it in the pan before putting it in the oven, and the instructions begin with "Turn the vent fan on..." believe it.

Further, if the roast recipe says after searing, to add the marinade, cover, and place in the oven, do not forget the part about covering.  Marinade burnt to a roasting pan was not an appetizing smell, and dried-out beef does not make the best dinner.   :P

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2009, 02:54:46 PM »
Anyway we gave him the dose. And the cat proceeded to grow a 3-4 inch long Santa Clause beard of drool/foam.  I had read that they can foam at the month due to their perception of it being bitter - but this was insane!  it was an instant Santa Beard, he would then shake it off and grow another within moments. . . he likely grew 4 before it stopped.  My guy and i cracked up and really kicked ourself for not getting a picture of this cat sitting perfectly sill and upright glaring at us with a beard.  He did not seem in distress at all. . . . just sat there with a beard.

Squeaks, I am dying of laughter this very moment.
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »
No matter how inviting it looks, do not open the jar of ground cayenne pepper and sniff it.

On that note, when emptying a jar of pepper, do not blow on the inside to get all the pepper out.  Especially if your eyes are open.
On a related note, don't spill pepper on the electric hob while it's switched on. It will burn onto the hob, it fill fill the air with black smoke which burns your throat and eyes, and the smoke won't clear for hours.

And yeah, we had to ban cayenne pepper from our apartment after a room mate used it for cooking, got some on the burner, and we literally had to evacuate the apartment, entering only with our breaths held to open all the windows.  That was the most horrible, biting air, almost like acid.  You seriously could not breath in even a little before your throat was bitten by cayenne and you started coughing your lungs out.
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

Pinky830

« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »
Anyway we gave him the dose. And the cat proceeded to grow a 3-4 inch long Santa Clause beard of drool/foam.  I had read that they can foam at the month due to their perception of it being bitter - but this was insane!  it was an instant Santa Beard, he would then shake it off and grow another within moments. . . he likely grew 4 before it stopped.  My guy and i cracked up and really kicked ourself for not getting a picture of this cat sitting perfectly sill and upright glaring at us with a beard.  He did not seem in distress at all. . . . just sat there with a beard.

Yeah...that will happen with any medication they don't like the taste of. Especially liquids. Feeling a little guilty here even though I'm not your vet, wondering if I forgot to warn anybody about that...   :-[

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2009, 04:57:44 PM »
I recently used one of those big, sunken bathtubs at a hotel. Conveniently, they added a hand-held shower head next to the tub so you could wash your hair in the tub & rinse out the tub if you leave a ring of bubble bath.

I wasn't paying attention to which direction the shower head was aiming when I was fiddling with all the switches (it took me a while to figure out how to get it on). I happened to turn it on while aiming it directly at my face. I was so startled & amused that I moved my head out of the way (after getting hit in the face with a blast of warm water) and drenched the ceiling right above me. In my fit of laughter I threw both arms up & out (still holding the shower head) and managed to drench the entire ceiling. This all took place in a matter of seconds.

We've had a really rough couple of days with the baby, and this post made my husband and me laugh so hard last night.  I was almost crying.  So thanks.  It made me feel a whole lot better.  :)

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

RedRuby

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »

We've had a really rough couple of days with the baby, and this post made my husband and me laugh so hard last night.  I was almost crying.  So thanks.  It made me feel a whole lot better.  :)

I'm glad my husband wasn't the only one who got to laugh at it!

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »

I really would not. . .  if it is that common I am sure to you it is expected and common knowledge. . . you are only human.  But yes in the future please try to warn us with less knowledge than you.

And I am sure many others would go online as well as ask vets.  Online can give you other ideas and stories that are of great use.

Yeah...that will happen with any medication they don't like the taste of. Especially liquids. Feeling a little guilty here even though I'm not your vet, wondering if I forgot to warn anybody about that...   :-[

snowfire

« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2009, 01:05:57 AM »
Don't reach up over the boiling pot on the stove to put stuff in the cabinet above the stove.  Steam burns are not pleasant.  :o    Three inch burn on my stomach.  Sigh.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2009, 03:06:49 PM »
I recently purchased a cashmere-blend hoodie that's labeled "machine washable".

As it turns out, some things are only "machine washable" if you're not counting the integrity of whatever you wash with it. My black velvet skirt came out looking like it had some sort of fluffy purple disease. ::) Good thing duct tape makes a good lint remover - is there anything duct tape CAN'T do?

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
Don't know -If there is I haven't found it yet
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »
I don't recommend duct tape for taping off areas that you don't want paint to get on - the adhesive is too strong.

I've also read that you CAN make a pretty good substitute for those self stick bra cups to wear under clothes that bras don't work under - but taking it off is murder on your skin - at best it leaves the area rather raw and at worst it could scar.  So it sounds like one of those ideas where someone tried this already and really didn't like the way things turned out.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »
I don't recommend duct tape for taping off areas that you don't want paint to get on - the adhesive is too strong.

I've also read that you CAN make a pretty good substitute for those self stick bra cups to wear under clothes that bras don't work under - but taking it off is murder on your skin - at best it leaves the area rather raw and at worst it could scar.  So it sounds like one of those ideas where someone tried this already and really didn't like the way things turned out.....

all you have to do is put the tape on your pants leg or shirt or something and pick up a batch of fuzz.  (the cats do NOT work for this KIDDING- however if you rub the cat on your shirt and then use the tape to pull all the LOOSE hair off....)

you take a lot of stickyness off of the tape, and it can be used for "soft taping"

Suze - not a duct tape freek - noooooo
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

dawbs

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »

since this is the thread for dire warnings...
double sided (clear!!) tape is splendid for certain dress up occasions.  It can hold a pesky strapless gown in place, work in place of a strapless bra, and mend tears.  all at once.
If you normally use nice clear toupee tape type substances and, the night of a formal dance, your seam rips and you're stuck, do NOT take up your roomie's BFF's suggestion of clear carpet tape.  

I was the girl w/ the carpet tape and I should have thought it through better because at 2 am, trying to get the stuff off the girl's skin w/o killing her or dousing her w/ chemicals was most unpleasant.  But, in a "CRUD MONKEYS!, we're idiots' sort of way, dang funny. :-)