Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 521100 times)

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »
Good Idea: Using a hot pad to remove things from the oven.
Bad Idea: Using a *wet* hot pad to remove things from the oven.

Good Idea: Using cayenne pepper and fresh peppers in a pot of chili.
Bad Idea: Using fresh habenero peppers in chili, whole, letting them boil for eight hours, then feeding a whole one to your dear bf after telling him it's a jalepeno.

Pinky830

« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2009, 05:20:29 PM »
No matter how cool that digital sewing machine is, it is not an autonomous life form. Don't start a buttonhole and then leave it unattended.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2009, 06:21:44 PM »
No matter how cool that digital sewing machine is, it is not an autonomous life form. Don't start a buttonhole and then leave it unattended.

Same thing for the embroidery machine.  DH had been told not to interrupt me while I embroidered just over fifty polo shirts for his class (field trip - he wanted them easily identifiable and finds that kids do behave better when dressed well).  He called me away to ask me something that could have waited (and I asked him to wait until the end of that color of thread).

He was handed the seam ripper and the shirt to clean up the error while I went on with the other 49 or so shirts.

The kids loved the shirts and I got to do another fifty or so - now ALL the students in his department have embroidered polo shirts for casual field trips to museums & similar events, t-shirts for events where they need to work/sweat (load & unload food pantry donations as an example), and uniforms for drill meets & to wear for inspections. 

And DH continues to get handed any shirts that need stitches ripped out if he interrupted me at the machine.  >:D

He doesn't interrupt me much any more  ;D - he has learned that the "red, white, & blue rule" (red fire or bloody injury, white bone showing in wound, or blue at lips or limb showing no circulation) is a much better rule of thumb than wandering over to ask me about dinner, where something is, or have I done laundry yet.

He now knows that I will be doing laundry every six or eight shirts to get the chalk marks off - he can just add whatever-it-is that he needs in that load to the pile.  The new rule is HE is in charge of grilling or getting take out when I am embroidering for him (that was the original rule) - but having to rip out stitches on three shirts taught him that it was a GOOD rule to follow to the letter.  Saves a world of frog stitchign (rip-it, rip-it - ribbet, ribbet)    ::) >:D   

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2009, 06:27:33 PM »
I don't recommend duct tape for taping off areas that you don't want paint to get on - the adhesive is too strong.

I've also read that you CAN make a pretty good substitute for those self stick bra cups to wear under clothes that bras don't work under - but taking it off is murder on your skin - at best it leaves the area rather raw and at worst it could scar.  So it sounds like one of those ideas where someone tried this already and really didn't like the way things turned out.....

Speaking as someone who has tried a few things....

Clear packing tape makes a good self-stick bra, but it won't hold forever. It is, however vastly preferable to the real self-stick bras, which are unbelievably painful to remove. You won't likely lose any skin, but that is all I can say for them.

(And now I'm dying to try out a duct tape bra...)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »
Duct tape over a t-shirt (longer length with a turtle neck or mock turtle neck recommended) can be used to make a dress maker's form that is your exact duplicate.  You have to be cut out of the form after the taping is done - so don't wear a favorite t-shirt OR a favorite bra - scissors can slip.

You will also need some kind of stand, lots of stuffing, and the instructions are on the Threads magazine site (you can find a link from the publisher's site - www.taunton.com). 

You need at least one person helping and two goes faster.  Don't drink a lot before starting, either.    I suppose that you could try making a "custom bra pattern" with the t-shirt and very careful placement of the duct tape strips - but there have to be easier things to get off your skin than duct tape on bare skin.

Bet not many of you knew that duct tape was THAT useful in the sewing room!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2009, 07:11:16 PM »
I sooo want a "duct tape double"  I NEED to find time with a girlfriend to "tape me up"
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2009, 09:29:21 AM »
I've also read that you CAN make a pretty good substitute for those self stick bra cups to wear under clothes that bras don't work under - but taking it off is murder on your skin - at best it leaves the area rather raw and at worst it could scar.  So it sounds like one of those ideas where someone tried this already and really didn't like the way things turned out.....

That reminds me of something I learned the hard way my first year at Festival: don't use gaff tape to enhance your snoobage. That stuff HURTS coming off.
Words mean things.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »
Words mean things.

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
(And now I'm dying to try out a duct tape bra...)

So, like this?

http://pics.killfile.org/events/MardiGras-2003.03.04/img_1167.jpg

Wow!

I was thinking more of the stick-on type, but now I'm tempted to go for a full strapless number.

Suze

• Super Hero!
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2009, 04:22:04 PM »
Find an old t-shirt -

Make your "bra" on top of that.  Then cut off the t-shirt and trim away what doesn't look like a bra. 

One duct tape bra - with a soft cotton lining

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
That is a neat idea!

Hmmm, you can get lots of different colours of duct tape. I could get quite festive with this....

Suze

• Super Hero!
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »
you can make corsets this way as well...  If you put a heavy layer in the front or back (whichever you're going to cut) you can put lacings in it

the ones I have seen are not meant to be a "permant" part of the wardrobe though.

They get beastly hot for one.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2009, 09:26:39 PM »
If you find yourself eggless when you want to cook:

(1)  If you're making salad dressing, you can use mayonnaise.
(2)  If you're making a cake, mayonnaise is nasty.  Don't ask me how I know this.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2009, 10:12:09 PM »
Ohhhh! I have lots of these! Forgive any repeats, I didn't get to read the whole thread.

For men: after slicing Jalapenos, do not wash your hnds with just water and then go to the restroom. Use soap!

For both: same as above, but don't rub your eyes!

A friend of mine made a dish with some very hot peppers.  After dinner (and washing his hands at least a dozen times) he went upstairs to... play scrabble with his gf.  Next thing he knew she was in the bathtub screaming obscenities at him.  He now recommends wearing gloves when working with hot peppers.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2009, 10:13:17 PM »
I don't recommend duct tape for taping off areas that you don't want paint to get on - the adhesive is too strong.

all you have to do is put the tape on your pants leg or shirt or something and pick up a batch of fuzz.  (the cats do NOT work for this KIDDING- however if you rub the cat on your shirt and then use the tape to pull all the LOOSE hair off....)

you take a lot of stickyness off of the tape, and it can be used for "soft taping"

Suze - not a duct tape freek - noooooo

According to one of my old dance teachers you make a duct tape bra by first wrapping yourself with the tape sticky side out, then using another layer sticky side in.