Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 480304 times)

Pinky830

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #645 on: May 23, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »

If you are trying to plug a giant plug into a big metal main frame don't use the prongs of the plug to guide your hand in.

I mean, if you're into electric shock - Do It! It will rock you harder than touching an electric horse fence that you can hear. I've messed with electrical horse fences. I've picked up electrical wire that was sitting in a puddle.

Don't touch the prongs of the thing you are plugging in.

I did that once. I think it was with the vacuum cleaner. I remember thinking it's no wonder they used to use electric shocks in psych experiments...that was a lesson I will never forget.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #646 on: May 24, 2010, 01:40:49 AM »
My sides hurt, and my cheeks too :D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #647 on: May 24, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »

If you know you have bad teeth, for heaven's sake don't use them to open a blister pack! I am sitting here looking like a pirate with half my front tooth gone. Let me tell ya, it does not tickle. Dentist appointment is set for 4 tomorrow; it's the earliest they can get me in.

DF's brother once broke his tooth while he was trying to open a ketchup packet that way.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #648 on: May 28, 2010, 02:33:14 PM »
Okay, not painful, but it did make me chuckle.

I am (nominally) a supervisor to a couple of coworkers.

One of them came in today and asked if she could fax a document.
Since this is an acceptable practice (within reason), I said sure.

I was on lunch and she didn't want to bother me and have me do it, so she just confirmed the procedure.
"I just put it in and type the phone number, right?"

"Yep. And for this machine, load the document face down."

A minute later she comes back and says "I didn't want to bother you, but I don't think I'm doing it right."

So I go and follow her over to the machine.

I look at what she is attempting to do.
"Well darlin', " I say with a grin, "that's because this is a photocopier."

We had a good laugh about it and she said "Well, that's a funny story for you to tell!"

Photocopier =\= fax machine... ;D

Amava

« Reply #649 on: May 28, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »
If hypothetically you have invited your boyfriend and his daughter over for dinner, and if hypothetically you are in the kitchen chopping vegetables, and if hypothetically the child snatches a carrot you require and runs into the other room to hide behind her father, and if hypothetically you intend to give chase...

Put down the knife first. That way you can avoid a misunderstanding.

HAHAHAHAHAHA that is fantastic!!  ;D

I slammed a door into my own forehead the other day. I have no clue why and how that happens, but it does. Lack of coordination? I often walk into the doorframe, too. Usually with my shoulder. The more tired (sleep-deprived) I am, the more it's likely to happen, so I do think it's something to do with concentration.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #650 on: May 28, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »
When you're trying to be all cool and professional and coordinated in your skirted business suit by sitting down in the car's seat facing toward the sidewalk and then turning to face forward once you're seated, it really ruins the effect to misjudge how far forward you are and smash your head into the door frame on the way down.

Also, it *hurts*!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #651 on: May 28, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
Okay, not painful, but it did make me chuckle.

I am (nominally) a supervisor to a couple of coworkers.

One of them came in today and asked if she could fax a document.
Since this is an acceptable practice (within reason), I said sure.

I was on lunch and she didn't want to bother me and have me do it, so she just confirmed the procedure.
"I just put it in and type the phone number, right?"

"Yep. And for this machine, load the document face down."

A minute later she comes back and says "I didn't want to bother you, but I don't think I'm doing it right."

So I go and follow her over to the machine.

I look at what she is attempting to do.
"Well darlin', " I say with a grin, "that's because this is a photocopier."

We had a good laugh about it and she said "Well, that's a funny story for you to tell!"

Photocopier =\= fax machine... ;D

That's not as obvious as it sounds - I've seen plenty of faxes that are copiers/printers/faxes/scanners all rolled into one :-)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #652 on: May 29, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »
If you have had the garden rake out and you just set it in the shed temporarily rather than hanging it where it belongs, don't place it with the tines facing outwards.

I did.  Stepped on the tines, got the handle right between the eyes.  I had a goose egg on my forehead for a week!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #653 on: May 29, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »
If you have had the garden rake out and you just set it in the shed temporarily rather than hanging it where it belongs, don't place it with the tines facing outwards.

I did.  Stepped on the tines, got the handle right between the eyes.  I had a goose egg on my forehead for a week!

I thought that only happened in cartoons!

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #654 on: May 29, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »

Outdoor Girl, you're not actually Sideshow Bob, are you?  ;D
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #655 on: May 29, 2010, 03:44:59 PM »

I did it with a broom once...

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #656 on: May 29, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »
When you are throwing a javeline, throw it straight.

Having one of those things whack you round the head not only hurts but makes people laugh at you for years on end.

Amava

« Reply #657 on: May 29, 2010, 04:19:14 PM »

I did it with a broom once...

Oh speaking of brooms. If you are a teacher and two kids are fighting over a broom (yes, they think it's a privilege and an honour to be allowed to sweep the floor), stop them verbally, from a safe distance.
And if you tell them to "Let go of the broom!" don't do it while you are actually already pulling the broom. Cause their immediate obedience to your words, combined with the force you are using on the broom, will logically result in the broom smacking you in the forehead.  ::)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #658 on: May 29, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »
In my case, I think it is genetic.  When I was telling my brother about my little mishap, he started laughing.  Not only did the handle hit him between the eyes, it knocked him on his keester.  And he couldn't even blame his kids; the big dummy had left the rake lying in the lawn tines up, all by himself.

Too bad we don't have the episodes on video - we could have won $10,000 on AFV.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kitty-cat

« Reply #659 on: May 29, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »
Allrighty, ya would think I would know this one by know.

When cooking, the pots tend to be hot. I now have a very nice, shiny burn spot on my ring finger of my right hand. I'm right handed.... Thankfully it didn't swell (yet anyways) because it has become instinct to run cold water as soon as I feel burning on my hands.

I was making green beans for dinner, and hit the bottom of the pan with my finger when draining them. And yet I was able to put them back in the pan and put the butter on them before hollering for mom... (at parent's house before my trip).

This is not my first stove related burn either- I was either 2 or 3, mom/Nana had made something on the stove, and I wanted to play with the pretty red coil. According to my mom, my hand had to be pried open from a fist to have my meds put on it.

I am always burning myself when baking because I touch the sides of the oven. I have a really nice, egg shaped scar on my left thumb from hot glue from a  hot glue gun that was on high. I did a number on the top of my left ear with a curling iron that took about half the school year to heal.I couldn't stop "playing" with it I'm starting to think that I shouldn't be allowed to use anything over a temprature of 75*F.

NE Florida