Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 535988 times)

agentsmith

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2310 on: July 24, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
Deep frying Camembert in a pan on the stove while topless. 
It didn't splatter much at all.  Microscopic, really.  But, it still hurt.

My DH used to be the head of security for a very exclusive country club and community. One day, they get a call that one of the ladies had a fire break out on the stove, while wearing a nylon peignoir set. It melted to her skin.

I only cook in natural fibers ever since he told me that story.

One day I forgot I was going to be using a cutting torch in shop and wore a skirt and hose to school.   It was... unpleasant.

Dr. F.

« Reply #2311 on: July 24, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »

My DH used to be the head of security for a very exclusive country club and community. One day, they get a call that one of the ladies had a fire break out on the stove, while wearing a nylon peignoir set. It melted to her skin.

One day I forgot I was going to be using a cutting torch in shop and wore a skirt and hose to school.   It was... unpleasant.

This is why one should always wear natural fibers when flying a helicopter.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #2312 on: July 24, 2012, 07:52:57 PM »

And why I will only use natural fabrics when making SCA garb. Campfires spit...

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2313 on: July 24, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »

And why I will only use natural fabrics when making SCA garb. Campfires spit...
Campfires, nothing!  Mistress Jaelle of Armida had a gas oven explode in one camp kitchen!  The only individual who was affected had his cotton tunic become ashes on his back.  He was lucky, only a few first-degree burns.

After that Jae refused to let helpers work with her if they weren't wearing natural fibers.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #2314 on: July 24, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »

I've never been in a helicopter, but can't think of a reason why you should wear natural fibers.  Is there sparks or high heat?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2315 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:38 PM »
EmmaJ, I believe it is in case of an accident/fire while in the helicopter. Nylon and rayon will melt into skin. Nomex is made specifically to self-extinguish, it chars instead of melting.

We camp and use both open fires and camp stoves for cooking, I have learned the hard way to only wear natural fibers, and layers so they can be easily removed when sparks fly!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2316 on: July 24, 2012, 11:53:46 PM »
I was going up to the board to copy the class work off onto my paper, then going back to my desk to work it (and I sat on either the front row or the second row - it's been a few decades since 5th grade).  The teacher and principal were members of the same church and Mom taught in the high school (different principal).  It got mentioned to the preacher (Dad) and Mom both very quickly.........

Looking back - white cat's eye glasses weren't the best choice for my coloring & face - but I loved those glasses because I could SEE!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #2317 on: July 25, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »
I was going up to the board to copy the class work off onto my paper, then going back to my desk to work it (and I sat on either the front row or the second row - it's been a few decades since 5th grade).  The teacher and principal were members of the same church and Mom taught in the high school (different principal).  It got mentioned to the preacher (Dad) and Mom both very quickly.........

I was the same age, but I got lazy and took a different approach. You see, I sat next to my bestie that year, and she wore glasses. I got tired of getting up to read the spelling words off the board, so I asked to borrow her specs. It worked! It took our teacher a week or two to work out why I was always wearing BFF's glasses during spelling.

I was so disappointed when I couldn't get ones like hers. Hers were blue with speckles. Mine were boring old brown.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2318 on: July 25, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
My mother tried for several years to convince her mother that she needed glasses.  Granny kept saying "You don't need glasses.  You're just jealous that Shirley has them." (Shirley being Mom's best friend.)  I think the school nurse finally got involved.

I've always wondered why Granny thought that glasses would be a cause for jealousy...  ???
into books first.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2319 on: July 25, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
It's hot outside, you just got back from home, sweaty, and you know you're all alone so it's fine to take off your shirt to cool down a bit. But do remember to close the blinds because your kitchen does have an almost direct view into your neighbours pathway ( no one saw me but better safe than embarrassed.)

You're in a hotel room and there's not enough room in the bathroom to disrobe without fearing of dropping something in the toilet.  It's just your mom, so you take off your clothes in the main room.  Do remember that your mother opened the blind earlier (luckily only into a mostly empty parking lot.)

It took Dark Mother saying, "Do you really want to stand there?"  I laughed and ducked into the bathroom as quick as I could, saying, "No, no I don't!"
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2320 on: July 25, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
I had the most horrid "old lady" glasses in elementary school. No kids glasses available in my provincial area, and these were brushed gold with sophisticated styling. I was twelve and did not care about how sophisticated they were. I treated them like gold, since I liked being able to see farther than an arms length.

Last year, my twelve year old came to the surface and I bought 4 pairs of glasses. Soft blue, a pair with pink and purple, another black and white, and solid black. Then I had to get bifocals, and I took the plunge with the custom lenses, so I only have one pair. Purple Oscar De La Renta frames with crystals on the stems.

Elisabunny

« Reply #2321 on: July 26, 2012, 09:04:05 PM »
If you must cut your finger, I suggest you avoid doing so with a serrated knife.  It will hurt considerably more than with a regular knife.  And yes, I have in fact had the opportunity to compare the two directly in the last two weeks. ::)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2322 on: July 26, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »
My mother tried for several years to convince her mother that she needed glasses.  Granny kept saying "You don't need glasses.  You're just jealous that Shirley has them." (Shirley being Mom's best friend.)  I think the school nurse finally got involved.

I've always wondered why Granny thought that glasses would be a cause for jealousy...  ???
They were new and different. A few years back we had a group of kids, deliberately fail the hearing screening. They were caught, because they wouldn't be able to hear normal conversation if they really scored that badly. There was a very sweet, popular kid in their grade with profound hearing loss - they wanted to have hearing aids like him.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2323 on: July 26, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »

They were new and different. A few years back we had a group of kids, deliberately fail the hearing screening. They were caught, because they wouldn't be able to hear normal conversation if they really scored that badly. There was a very sweet, popular kid in their grade with profound hearing loss - they wanted to have hearing aids like him.
Were these younger kids?  They must have been, to not understand WHY the deaf boy needed them.  I believe that Mom was in high school, well aware of what glasses did and that she DID need them.

But then, my experience of getting glasses at 7 was not pleasant, nor a call for jealousy among my classmates.  I was already weird because I knew how to read almost anything, and they were still struggling with C A T cat; being the first one in the class to get glasses sealed my geekiness.
into books first.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2324 on: July 26, 2012, 10:57:55 PM »

Were these younger kids?  They must have been, to not understand WHY the deaf boy needed them.  I believe that Mom was in high school, well aware of what glasses did and that she DID need them.

But then, my experience of getting glasses at 7 was not pleasant, nor a call for jealousy among my classmates.  I was already weird because I knew how to read almost anything, and they were still struggling with C A T cat; being the first one in the class to get glasses sealed my geekiness.

They were 2nd or 3rd grade at the time, so lots of kid logic.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future