Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 477798 times)

snowfire

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2520 on: October 18, 2012, 12:37:46 AM »
I did something similar when I was making chili.  I normally sprinkle a little bit of ginger in as I think it helps reduce the gas producing power of the beans.  The lid fell off the ginger container and dumped probably about 1/4 cup into around 6 quarts of chili.

Even the dog wouldn't eat it. 

Bluenomi

« Reply #2521 on: October 18, 2012, 01:57:53 AM »
Not really a "don't do that," but it's on topic  :)  We've got an oven mitt that stunk.  You could hold a hot pan for about a second and a half before "that's warm" turned to "owowOWOW!"  Yesterday's realization: it's right-handed!  If you use it with your left hand, there's no effective padding between your hand and the pan.  If you use it right-handed, the volume of the padding is the same, but it's actually an insulator instead of a conductor.  What idiot designed an oven mitt that looks like it can be used either way and then only put insulation one side, I don't know, but it's a lot more effective now!

I have a mit a bit like that. It's got a print on one side that melts on contact with hot things from the oven. It's desgined for right handers but I'm a lefty so if I use it, I mlet it. So I don't.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #2522 on: October 20, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
I did something similar when I was making chili.  I normally sprinkle a little bit of ginger in as I think it helps reduce the gas producing power of the beans.  The lid fell off the ginger container and dumped probably about 1/4 cup into around 6 quarts of chili.

Even the dog wouldn't eat it.

On the flip side, one year we were having our annual Christmas meat-pie making gathering (my mother, all her sisters, my grandmother and a great-aunt) at my mother's house.  We make massive batches of  meat pies (Tourtiere) around Christmas-time and there's always hilarious disputes over seasoning and stuff, because we all do it a little differently.  My aunt Adele said something like, "Well I season mine like THIS!" and went to briskly shake some thyme into her pot of meat.  Instead, she fumbled and dropped the entire jar into the pot.  It took a few minutes of fumbling with a large spoon to scoop the jar out; the rest of us were laughing too hard to be of much help.  She eventually got the jar out but there was no removing the thyme that had spilled into the meat.

And you know?  Her pies that year were the best of everyone's.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2523 on: October 21, 2012, 12:02:08 AM »
I also had a chili whoops.  I went to pour some cumin in and the sprinkle lid popped off sending about cup of cumin in.  There was no way to fish it out, so I stirred it in and added more beans and tomatoes.

Best.chili.ever.  my DH mixed some with sour cream and created the most disgusting looking, but extremely tasty tortilla chip dip.

I now always make what my DH dubbed "The oops Chili"
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

mmswm

« Reply #2524 on: October 21, 2012, 12:18:55 AM »
I had a cheesecake "whoops".  I was cranking out cheesecakes for the holidays and I was really tired.  Instead of evaporated milk, I dumped sweetened condensed milk into the batter.  To give you an idea of how tired I was, I didn't even notice it until after I had the cheesecake in the oven and I was cleaning up the counters to get ready for the next one. If you know the difference between the two, you also know I basically had to be brain dead to not realize something was wrong.

Anyway, long story short: Best. Cheesecake. Ever. I've officially changed my recipe, though made some other modifications to balance out the additional sugar.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2525 on: October 21, 2012, 12:37:37 AM »
More recipe oopses... and this is me telling on Mom, but there's no way she'll ever find out now.

Mom worked in a retirement home (which became a nursing home, then a managed care home...), and she was the head cook there.  One year, when making the stuffing, she accidentally put far too much sage in.  Now, she was allowed to being leftovers home, and she did.  It was, without a doubt,t he best stuffing I ever had.  I now include extra sage in all my stuffing.

greencat

« Reply #2526 on: October 21, 2012, 05:41:05 AM »
Sage, thyme, basil, and rosemary are all spices that I can't seem to add enough of to my food.

This week's episode of "don't do that" at my house:
When you know that there was a broken fluorescent bulb in your utility room, don't walk out there barefoot.  You did not get all the glass in that quick sweep, and you will step on a huge piece of broken glass and jam it into your heel - ten minutes before you need to leave for work, where you will be standing and walking all day.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #2527 on: October 21, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »
My head was killing me and I attempted to swallow 2 ibuprofen tablets with a large swig from an ice-filled glass of coke. Apparently I managed to leave one of the pills behind in the glass, which I figured out when I returned to drink it 10 minutes later and found it full of little white flakes of dissolved ibuprofen. It didn't look pretty, but the taste was unaffected and it worked wonders for my head ache!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

dawbs

« Reply #2528 on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:18 PM »
just don't make the 'whoops, dropped the spice jar' mistake with Cream of Tartar.

Those cookikes made you make 'pucker face'.  Ugh.  The dog wouldn't eat them.

Snooks

« Reply #2529 on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:17 AM »
If you've been boiling stock for two hours on the hob, don't touch the metal stand that the pot has been sitting on, it will be hot and the cat will stare at you as you're jumping around the kitchen trying to get ice out of the freezer.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2530 on: October 22, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »
When you sharpened the knife very well the last time you used it, remember that the next time you use it or you will end up slicing your left index finger through sheer carelessness.

Then remember that you have a cut on your finger and don't cut the strawberries using the same finger under the berries because you will cut the same spot again.

It's hard to type with my left index finger wrapped; I keep hitting 2 keys.  :-[
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #2531 on: October 22, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
When you sharpened the knife very well the last time you used it, remember that the next time you use it or you will end up slicing your left index finger through sheer carelessness.

I have a 3/4 inch scar on the join between my thumb and the palm of my hand. It represents a quarter-sized piece of flesh that was removed by my BF's newly-sharpened belt knife.

After that, I declared a new house rule, that anytime a knife was sharpened, that news was to be communicated clearly to everyone in the house. Even if you though they knew...

greencat

« Reply #2532 on: October 22, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »

I have a 3/4 inch scar on the join between my thumb and the palm of my hand. It represents a quarter-sized piece of flesh that was removed by my BF's newly-sharpened belt knife.

After that, I declared a new house rule, that anytime a knife was sharpened, that news was to be communicated clearly to everyone in the house. Even if you though they knew...

All knives, scissors and cats are sharp unless proven otherwise.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2533 on: October 22, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »

Yeah.  I was always taught that a properly sharp knife reduces injury.  It cuts more easily, so you don't have the problem of putting too much pressure on it. THAT can cause cuts, when the item being cut slips out from under the knife.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2534 on: October 22, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »

Yeah.  I was always taught that a properly sharp knife reduces injury.  It cuts more easily, so you don't have the problem of putting too much pressure on it. THAT can cause cuts, when the item being cut slips out from under the knife.

Depends on what you are used to. I cut most things at home with plastic knives because I'd have no fingers left otherwise. They are hard to cut with, but they don't slip around much. Oddly enough, I have still cut my fingers with them on occasion (slicing too close to my hand - I'm not a good judge of distance :P) but since they are so dull they don't cut very deep.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.