Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 479897 times)

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2535 on: October 22, 2012, 06:35:55 PM »
When you sharpened the knife very well the last time you used it, remember that the next time you use it or you will end up slicing your left index finger through sheer carelessness.

I have a 3/4 inch scar on the join between my thumb and the palm of my hand. It represents a quarter-sized piece of flesh that was removed by my BF's newly-sharpened belt knife.

After that, I declared a new house rule, that anytime a knife was sharpened, that news was to be communicated clearly to everyone in the house. Even if you though they knew...

All knives, scissors and cats are sharp unless proven otherwise.
Yeah.  I was always taught that a properly sharp knife reduces injury.  It cuts more easily, so you don't have the problem of putting too much pressure on it. THAT can cause cuts, when the item being cut slips out from under the knife.

Depends on what you are used to. I cut most things at home with plastic knives because I'd have no fingers left otherwise. They are hard to cut with, but they don't slip around much. Oddly enough, I have still cut my fingers with them on occasion (slicing too close to my hand - I'm not a good judge of distance :P) but since they are so dull they don't cut very deep.

Two words: Kevlar Glove. Great for use with knives! Seen Alton Brown use one several times.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2536 on: October 22, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »
I met my sister's step father-in-law (a dear man) when I pulled up to the wedding site and he came out looking for a first aid kit.

His step-son is former army and an engineer - anyone using his pocket knife should be prepared for it to be sharp - as in "we might need to do an emergency tracheotomy or something".

He'd started to cut ribbon and his own knife was dull....so he borrowed his step son's.  Which was not dull.....and he was bleeding a bit from the cut on his finger.

Luckily, I had a relatively new first aid kit (new antibiotic cream and fully stocked on gauze, tape, and the like) in the car and patched him up quickly so everyone could get back to getting ready for the wedding later that day instead of running to the closest pharmacy or something...

He's a retired Paleontologist, likes puns, and gets along famously with his step-daughter-in-law (Lil Sis) and even her mother & sister!

We've discussed the proper additions for texture in chocolate desserts made in molds made by him and a retired chef from copralite fossils.  Snarky & Evil adore him and think that it is great to have him in the extended family.  But then they LIKE coming up with recipes - remember all the variations of the Bunny FooFoo they've already come up with and named? 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

mmswm

« Reply #2537 on: October 22, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
When cooking fried potatoes, don't forget about the oil that's heating up on the stove so that it gets WAY too hot.  If you do happen to let the oil get to hot, make sure the potatoes are very dry.  If you put wet potatoes in way to hot oil, it splatters, burning your fingers through to the bone, and your cat looks at you like he's sorry he ever chose you as a human, since you're obviously not smart enough to take care of him.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowfire

« Reply #2538 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »
All knives, scissors and cats are sharp unless proven otherwise.

Durn tootin they are.  Next time the muzzle goes on the cat the minute we get to the groomer.  I have a bite on my thumb and am having to take a snootfull of antibiotics after he latched on.  >:( :o >:(

Snooks

« Reply #2539 on: October 23, 2012, 10:27:17 AM »
DH says he feels the need to follow me to the kitchen now having recently witnessed me using and washing knives, he also questions my food hygiene rules.  I say I still have all my fingers and it's been a long time since I gave myself food poisoning so he's just being a worry wart.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2540 on: October 23, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
DH says he feels the need to follow me to the kitchen now having recently witnessed me using and washing knives, he also questions my food hygiene rules.  I say I still have all my fingers and it's been a long time since I gave myself food poisoning so he's just being a worry wart.
I was washing dishes once when my in-laws were visiting, and DH was trying to help by clearing the table.  Trouble was, he dropped a sharp knife down in the soapy dishwater.  I told him to fish it out and never do that again, because having a sharp knife where you can't see it is a dingdangity good way to get a bad cut.  MIL (as usual*) pitched a cat-haired fit.  "And just how do you clean a knife if you don't put it in the sink?"  I said "You hold it safely by the handle and dip it down into the water."  She made a cat-butt face since she couldn't refute me on that, but she shut up about it.

*Any statement I made MIL was likely to challenge or take offense at, even so innocuous a statement as "What a nice day it is today."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2541 on: October 23, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
I was washing dishes once when my in-laws were visiting, and DH was trying to help by clearing the table.  Trouble was, he dropped a sharp knife down in the soapy dishwater.  I told him to fish it out and never do that again, because having a sharp knife where you can't see it is a dingdangity good way to get a bad cut.  MIL (as usual*) pitched a cat-haired fit.  "And just how do you clean a knife if you don't put it in the sink?"  I said "You hold it safely by the handle and dip it down into the water."  She made a cat-butt face since she couldn't refute me on that, but she shut up about it.

*Any statement I made MIL was likely to challenge or take offense at, even so innocuous a statement as "What a nice day it is today."

I put the sharp knives soaking in left edge of the dishwater with handles toward me. No one touches my dishwater. Lucas used to have a fit about it, but I reminded him that I am the only one washing dishes and have never gotten cut. He's given up.

I  would be angry if anyone else put anything in the sink, though.

Also, I keep my knives razor sharp, always use a cutting board, and it's years between accidents. My stepmother used to cut things on her thumb, and even when the knives weren't that sharp was constantly getting cut. Same behavior, same outcome. Duh. I didn't eat her salads until I checked the condition of her thumbs - yuck.

I recently bought a ceramic knife made by Quisinart. I returned it because it wasn't sharp enough.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2542 on: October 23, 2012, 01:25:14 PM »

I put the sharp knives soaking in left edge of the dishwater with handles toward me. No one touches my dishwater. Lucas used to have a fit about it, but I reminded him that I am the only one washing dishes and have never gotten cut. He's given up.

Also, I keep my knives razor sharp, always use a cutting board, and it's years between accidents. My stepmother used to cut things on her thumb, and even when the knives weren't that sharp was constantly getting cut. Same behavior, same outcome. Duh. I didn't eat her salads until I checked the condition of her thumbs - yuck.

I recently bought a ceramic knife made by Quisinart. I returned it because it wasn't sharp enough.

Just last night I was cutting meatballs using my hand as the cutting surface.  However, my defense is I have no counters to put anything ON.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2543 on: October 23, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »
Just last night I was cutting meatballs using my hand as the cutting surface.  However, my defense is I have no counters to put anything ON.

Where did you get the knife? Weren't the meatballs stored in something, even a plastic bag, to put between the meatball and your hand? (We camp a lot and eat leftover carryout, so I am pretty good at figuring these things out.) Of course a disposable plastic knive probably won't hurt you.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2544 on: October 23, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »

Look for a BIG cutting board, one big enough to fit over your sink.  Voila, instant countertop!
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2545 on: October 23, 2012, 02:23:19 PM »

Where did you get the knife? Weren't the meatballs stored in something, even a plastic bag, to put between the meatball and your hand? (We camp a lot and eat leftover carryout, so I am pretty good at figuring these things out.) Of course a disposable plastic knive probably won't hurt you.

Knife block.  Which I keep in the pantry, due to space issues.  My kitchen consists of literally a stove, sink, and pantry.  No counters, no cupboards (unless you count the space under the sink where the cleaning chemicals live).  But I'll have to look into Elfmama's idea.  I like that... with this house, I've had to do a LOT of repurposing!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2546 on: October 23, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »

Knife block.  Which I keep in the pantry, due to space issues.  My kitchen consists of literally a stove, sink, and pantry.  No counters, no cupboards (unless you count the space under the sink where the cleaning chemicals live).  But I'll have to look into Elfmama's idea.  I like that... with this house, I've had to do a LOT of repurposing!

Sounds like my tiny motorhome! I found a plastic cutting board just the size of the stove (14 X 16 inches) and a little one just the size of the sink - depending on what I'm doing, it's instant counter space, or one goes on a seat cushion for catching dishes. Small drawer (14 X 11 X 3) for the knife, cutlery, canopener, scissors, corkscrew, reall cuttingboard 6 X 4, napkins, straws. Won't tell you what I store in the microwave.

Pyrex measuring cups are my friend - heat the chili, eat the chili. Major things I serve are leftovers and fresh salads.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2547 on: October 26, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »
Run a load of wash through the machine with a chapstick in the pocket and then dry the load.  I think this is the fifth time I have done this, and you think I would learn to check my pockets before starting a load, but apparently not.  In my defense I was in a rush to get out the door to run errands Sat morning, because I had a friend coming over for lunch at noon.

I've done this a few times as well.  Fortunately, every time I did it the chapstick fell out of the pocket in the washer and we always wash in cold water only, so I still had a useable chapstick and no clothes were ruined.  This also got me some sarcasm from Mr. Sirius, who was doing the laundry that time, because I've reminded him more than once about checking his own pockets.  And, since I'm doing laundry, I'm going to go check my pockets right now, so you did me a favor.

Why do you need to put chapstick in your pocket when their is one in your purse, your drawer at work, in the car and on your nightstand??? ;D

Because I'm not always close to those items.  I do the same thing with tissues, but after a couple of washer/dryer incidents with tissues I'm careful about taking things out of my pockets when I change to my pajamas. 

mmswm

« Reply #2548 on: October 26, 2012, 05:24:23 PM »
This one from my 13 year old son:

When you've just had surgery on your arm, and it still hurts, and you're loopy on pain drugs, don't try to play with the newborn puppies.  You might accidentally come way to close to stepping on one, which will freak out the mother, who will head butt you in the arm you've just had surgery on.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Snooks

« Reply #2549 on: November 02, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »
Stand outside in the freezing cold trying to encourage the cat to come in, only to find he's asleep on the bed upstairs.