Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 531112 times)

mmswm

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2565 on: November 26, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
A Thanksgiving one for DH:

When your wife has been prepping and cooking a big Thanksgiving dinner for most of the day, do not make your very first dinner-related compliment a rave about the Pillsbury crescent rolls.   ::)   :)

I mean, I love them too.  In fact, they are my family tradition that I introduced him to, but they are the only thing that took less than an hour to prepare and literally the only thing not made entirely from scratch!

This year my boys and I had Thanksgiving dinner with the friend who has been housing us for the last two months.  My friend makes wonderful crescent rolls from scratch.  Sometime after we finished dinner, my 13 year old informed me that while the rolls were good, they just weren't the same as the "ones from the can".  At least he had the grace to say that to me in private, instead of to my friend.  I would have died of embarrassment.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2566 on: November 26, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
This also kind of made my brain hurt.

My cousin posted today two lessons learned.  The second one irrelevant, but the first one? Yeah, the first one was: Don't give a live chicken pox vaccine to a kid with an already compromised immune system. Well, I thought that was kind of obvious.

How did he learn that?? Hopefully not the hard way!

Oh, no.  How bad was it?

Yes, she learned it the hard way, though luckily it was just a mild case.  I want to know what doctor thought that would be a good idea...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Reader

« Reply #2567 on: December 05, 2012, 03:17:01 PM »
In an effort to stay warm while touching up my roots I opted not to change into my hair dying shirt which has short sleeves.  Of course I ended up getting dark auburn colored dye on one of my work shirts last night.  :-[ I was thinking I wouldn't considering I've consistently touched up my roots without so much of a drip for the past months.  Even though I found the shirt on sale at my local Salvation Army for 69 cents, it was a exact replacement for the one I have had for 10 years before I wore it out completely that I was very sad to demote it to the cat box.

(My cat has a fetish for freshly laundered cloths in the basket.  So I decided I would maker her very own basket.  When I couldn't find a basket big enough I used a box instead.  With that and one other small step no more cat hair on my fresh laundry)

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #2568 on: December 07, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »
When you realize that the veggie platter, and especially the spinach dip, at the potluck on Saturday are neither hot nor cold, but room temperature, do not help yourself several times. Even if they are the only things you can eat. Because today, 6 days later, you will still be woozy and have a sensitive stomach.   :-\  :P  ???  ::)
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #2569 on: December 09, 2012, 12:53:05 PM »
When one has an extremely sensitive shellfish allergy, one should not eat something unless they are sure there is nothing of the sort in a dish at a potluck. Thankfully, my reaction is not anaphalaxis, but the headache, bloating, and nausea are horrid enough, that I should know better. Oh yeah, and day 3 of diarrhea is not fun either.

It wasn't food poisoning because I was the only one who got sick, and it wasn't a stomach virus because I didn't feel sick sick, and I was reacting the same way I react when I do eat shellfish, which I haven't done in years. Oh, and I am also becoming intolerant to fish as well. Herring does the same thing to me as shellfish.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2570 on: December 09, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »
When one has an extremely sensitive shellfish allergy, one should not eat something unless they are sure there i
When one has an extremely sensitive shellfish allergy, one should not eat something unless they are sure there is nothing of the sort in a dish at a potluck. Thankfully, my reaction is not anaphalaxis, but the headache, bloating, and nausea are horrid enough, that I should know better. Oh yeah, and day 3 of diarrhea is not fun either.

It wasn't food poisoning because I was the only one who got sick, and it wasn't a stomach virus because I didn't feel sick sick, and I was reacting the same way I react when I do eat shellfish, which I haven't done in years. Oh, and I am also becoming intolerant to fish as well. Herring does the same thing to me as shellfish.
I would rather have anaphalaxis with that it is 3 shots, 72 hours of steriods and it is over. With "milder reactions" I have what you describe + skin reactions that can last up to 6 months or so. More if the skin reaction get infected.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

suzieQ

« Reply #2571 on: December 09, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
When taking fiber pills, do NOT take two at once. They can (and did) get stuck in my throat. Not that feeling you get after you swallow a pill, but truly stuck. My throat made weird noises as I swallowed glasses of water, trying to get the pills down. Finally found out yogurt would do the trick - one spoon of yogurt and the pills went down.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2572 on: December 09, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
When taking fiber pills, do NOT take two at once. They can (and did) get stuck in my throat. Not that feeling you get after you swallow a pill, but truly stuck. My throat made weird noises as I swallowed glasses of water, trying to get the pills down. Finally found out yogurt would do the trick - one spoon of yogurt and the pills went down.

My face when I think of that --->  O.O

greencat

« Reply #2573 on: December 09, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »
Speaking of fiber...

Pay attention when you're at the grocery store, and make sure that you don't grab the "with added fiber" brand of fruit preserves just because it seems to be the only kind of the particular flavor you want that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 

When you do get home with it and notice that the packaging says "with added fiber," don't proceed to eat a ton of it on toast and then prepare the recipe that you bought it for and eat that dish too...you WILL deeply regret it in an hour or so when your stomach cramps worse than having the stomach flu.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2574 on: December 10, 2012, 05:00:01 AM »
Wow! How much fiber was there in it?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2575 on: December 10, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
Speaking of fiber...

Pay attention when you're at the grocery store, and make sure that you don't grab the "with added fiber" brand of fruit preserves just because it seems to be the only kind of the particular flavor you want that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 

When you do get home with it and notice that the packaging says "with added fiber," don't proceed to eat a ton of it on toast and then prepare the recipe that you bought it for and eat that dish too...you WILL deeply regret it in an hour or so when your stomach cramps worse than having the stomach flu.

That is the only type of fruit spread available at our warehouse store. Yuck!

greencat

« Reply #2576 on: December 10, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
Wow! How much fiber was there in it?

More than my digestive system was able to tolerate...

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2577 on: December 29, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »
Dear coworkers...uh...yeah...don't do that.

When you are at the company holiday party, by all means enjoy, imbibe and avail yourself of the free taxi ride home.

However, you may wish to avoid...

1) Trying to toss Aaron into the pool. You will fail.  ::)

2) Reid - it was perhaps not a good idea for you to decide that if Aaron didn't want to swim, you did. Altough it was possibly a good thing that you took off most of your clothes before swimming. Oh, and the whole company now knows that you prefer boxers to briefs.  :P

3) Karl, do not then jump - fully clothed, into said pool. It is good that you left your phone on the table. Too bad the same cannot  be said for your wallet. You will spend the rest of the evening blaming Reid for the fact that you are now very cold and wet. Your coworkers will be...less than sympathetic.  ::)

4) Reid, now that you have cut your finger trying to get out of the pool, you will find that Aaron has hidden your clothes. (You maybe shouldn't have tried to push him into the pool. Just sayin'.)  >:D

5) Reid, you are now wet, cold, bleeding and mostly naked. This causes Karl to over-react and call the EMS. Fortunately, Aaron won't let you go to the ER in your condition and will produce your clothing.   ::)

6) Reid, just because there is a 6 hour wait at the ER for you to get stitches, it is not a good idea for you to take your intoxicated, damp self and decide to walk back to town. This will cause the hospital staff to call the police to find you.  :o

7) After the police question the party guests, they will call your parents to see if they know your whereabouts. Trust me Reid, you may be an adult who is living independantly and holding down a good job, but you really, really, really don't want the police calling your mother. She knows you, and trust me, she's not worried, she's mad!  >:( >:(

8) Finally Reid, perhaps you would have been better served staying out of the pool and/or at the ER rather than finding out from the post your mother put on your FB wall that you need to call the police. Now! :P

Oy! It was an...interesting...gathering!

greencat

« Reply #2578 on: December 29, 2012, 08:51:51 PM »
Funny, but I'm pretty sure I went to that party...only it was about 5 years ago, and the assorted drunk guests were all my college buddies, not my coworkers...more or less the same plot though!

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #2579 on: December 29, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
Funny, but I'm pretty sure I went to that party...only it was about 5 years ago, and the assorted drunk guests were all my college buddies, not my coworkers...more or less the same plot though!

You were at that party too?!?  >:D