Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 519788 times)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2625 on: March 20, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
Do not ever say anything that even remotely suggests a possibility (no matter how distant) of your child getting a hamster. If you do, said child will spend the next hour looking at hamster cages, toys, equipment, etc when you really just wanted to run in and get some dog food.

When your husband comes home from work, your child will then run up to him and excitedly declare that Mommy is getting him a hamster when he turns 5. (Oh, and don't try to put off the hamster excitement by saying maybe for your birthday if you're really responsible and do tuvwxyz, etc.--listing all the necessary requirements for responsible pet ownership will not make an impression. Even if you start making stuff up, the child will remain undeterred.) DH will be very upset and you will end up fighting over a hamster that you don't even want while your son dances in the background chanting that he will clean the poop every day, even if he has to touch it and get hamster pee/poop all over himself. (attempting to gross out a 4yo boy with the nitty gritty details of hamster care is futile.)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2626 on: March 20, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
We have had a hamster for 1 1/2 years. My son does take care of her, but he was 13 when he got her.

exitzero

« Reply #2627 on: March 20, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »
Do not ever say anything that even remotely suggests a possibility (no matter how distant) of your child getting a hamster. If you do, said child will spend the next hour looking at hamster cages, toys, equipment, etc when you really just wanted to run in and get some dog food.

When your husband comes home from work, your child will then run up to him and excitedly declare that Mommy is getting him a hamster when he turns 5. (Oh, and don't try to put off the hamster excitement by saying maybe for your birthday if you're really responsible and do tuvwxyz, etc.--listing all the necessary requirements for responsible pet ownership will not make an impression. Even if you start making stuff up, the child will remain undeterred.) DH will be very upset and you will end up fighting over a hamster that you don't even want while your son dances in the background chanting that he will clean the poop every day, even if he has to touch it and get hamster pee/poop all over himself. (attempting to gross out a 4yo boy with the nitty gritty details of hamster care is futile.)

Hamsters aren't the best pets for kids...they're nocturnal and not overly affectionate.

Rats, on the other hand...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2628 on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »
^ I was going to make the same suggestion!

So many people have an aversion to rats, though.  It's too bad; they really can be affectionate.  Hamsters can be nasty little creatures.  They bite!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2629 on: March 20, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »

So many people have an aversion to rats, though.  It's too bad; they really can be affectionate.  Hamsters can be nasty little creatures.  They bite!
I had a pet rat named Peter when I was a 'tween. He was a good pet, came when he was called and very snuggle-y. Rats are also nocturnal and I learned to sleep through the sound of the wheel turning. Peter would bite if I had peanut butter on my finger or even if my finger smelled like peanut butter.  He didn't bite with the intention of inflicting damage, but to eat the tasty PB finger. It only happened to me once, then I learned, "Uh ... yeah, don't do that." :-\

I think people (in general) have a hard time cuddling up to rats because of their naked tails.  At least that's what I heard from people when I tried to introduce them to Peter. "Ewwww! How can you stand to touch that tail? Yuck!" Then again, Peter was pretty good sized for a pet rat. He weighed over a pound; His body was one foot long and his tail was almost another foot long. He was an albino Norwegian rat. I've heard that feral Norwegian rats that live in dumps will take on a cat mano a mano and a pack of them will take down a Rottweiler.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

exitzero

« Reply #2630 on: March 20, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
Rats aren't strictly nocturnal. They tend to be awake in the morning and in the evening. But they are very smart and will quickly learn to be awake when the pepple are awake because that's when the food comes!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #2631 on: March 20, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
rats look too much like mice, and Aunty feeds mice to her snake. We can't even look at the mice at the zoo for too long before circle-of-life discussions begin.

DS is 4.5 and not getting a pet of his own anytime soon. Though he is pretty responsible with the family dog. He's in charge of feeding/watering, and about half the time he does it without being reminded. I still know that about 85% of the work would fall to me, and I'm not up for it
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #2632 on: April 14, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »
After my college roommate snuck two hamsters into our dorm room I learned the mantra that, "Hamsters live to escape."

Luckily her boyfriend who had an apartment took them after we'd had to hunt for them too many times in the dorm. And one had poo'ed in my winter gloves.  ::)
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2633 on: April 15, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »
Our hamster is in a glass aquarium with lots of toys and things for her to tunnel through. No escaping.

Don't "forget" your smart phone is in your pocket when you head for the loo. DS is very sad, but his kind and wonderful mother is letting him use her old phone in the meantime.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2634 on: April 15, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
On days when the wind is 30mph+ in a place where there is a bunch of loose dirt and sand, do not, DO NOT put on Chapstick immediately before walking outside.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2635 on: April 15, 2013, 09:49:13 AM »
Also, do not apply lip balm immediately before walking through the swarm of gnats that is on the walkway every day.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2636 on: April 15, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »
On days when the wind is 30mph+ in a place where there is a bunch of loose dirt and sand, do not, DO NOT put on Chapstick immediately before walking outside.
Also, do not apply lip balm immediately before walking through the swarm of gnats that is on the walkway every day.

On the other hand, always put on Chapstick before marching in 32 degree weather with your flute.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #2637 on: April 15, 2013, 05:42:29 PM »
Do not put on sunscreen in the midst of lovebbugs in Florida either, you'll be surrounded by them. Also, from same trip, do not buy a brand new pair of running shoes when the back of your foot is all blistered and sore, the end result will be ouchie!

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #2638 on: April 17, 2013, 11:55:12 AM »

Guinea Pigs FTW
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2639 on: April 18, 2013, 03:20:14 PM »
I also had a chili whoops.  I went to pour some cumin in and the sprinkle lid popped off sending about cup of cumin in.  There was no way to fish it out, so I stirred it in and added more beans and tomatoes.

Best.chili.ever.  my DH mixed some with sour cream and created the most disgusting looking, but extremely tasty tortilla chip dip.

I now always make what my DH dubbed "The oops Chili"

I know I'm behind but...

Do NOT use a new brand of chili powder in your chili without tasting as you add.

My mother, for years - probably decades - had used Common Brand X chili powder in her chili, and she knew when she'd added enough by the color.

Then she saw Gourmet Organic Brand Y at another store, and got that. Added it in until it was the same color that she'd come to expect with Brand X.

Brand Y, it turns out, is rather stronger than Brand X. It was hotter than all heck, but OK for Mom & me to eat - Dad could barely stand it. Mom had to add tomatoes & tomato sauce to thin out the leftovers a bit. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture