Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 502785 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2685 on: May 18, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »

I woke yesterday as usual, got up, checked my email on my phone, and a sudden urgency propelled me to the bathroom.

Since then, I have been very cautious about what I ate, and took it easy. Today, I was not hungry in the morning, so I just had an iced latte until lunch. Not the correct thing to do when you just had tummy troubles the day before. My intestinal tract is having an everything must go sale.

More appropriately, a going out of business sale...

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2686 on: May 18, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »

My intestinal tract is having an everything must go sale.

More appropriately, a going out of business sale...

When this happens in our house, we say that we need to order 'Change of address cards'.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Elisabunny

« Reply #2687 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
Our bees all died and all the suppliers have run out, so we are going to try to attract a swarm.  Mr. Bunny is reading up on bee attractors.  One website explains all about how bee pheromones smell sort of lemony.  Then it warns in big red letters, " DO NOT USE LEMON PLEDGE."  I'm thinking there's a story in that... ;D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Dr. F.

« Reply #2688 on: May 19, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
Do NOT, under any circumstances, decide to wash your eyes out after chopping onions without thinking about if you've chopped jalapenos earlier. Even though you've washed your hands many times in the interim, there will be enough oil on your hands to render you blind for about 5 minutes. My fingers are STILL burning.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2689 on: May 19, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »
Do NOT, under any circumstances, decide to wash your eyes out after chopping onions without thinking about if you've chopped jalapenos earlier. Even though you've washed your hands many times in the interim, there will be enough oil on your hands to render you blind for about 5 minutes. My fingers are STILL burning.

Soak it in milk, Dr. F. The milk will leech out the oils.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2690 on: May 23, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
Too funny! I look the same when I save sycamore leaves and Luna moths.
Are you saving the moths and feeding them sycamore leaves?

When I was in elementary school, I was a nerd before "nerd" was a word.  I did a "science experiment" on the polyphemous moths that infested the birch trees in our front yard.  Really infested!  These large, almost neon green caterpillars were dropping out of the trees on our heads as we walked past.  I collected the caterpillars.  I observed them spinning their pupas.  I watched a couple emerge from their cocoons and pump their wings to their full beauty.  I watched several beat their wings to shreds on the bird cage before I let the last one fly free!  I discovered all the eggs they laid in the bird cage, then the tiny little caterpillers hatched in my room and died all over the place.

My father says he hasn't seen a single polyphemous moth since that year.  In the name of scientific inquiry, I wiped out an entire population of moths.  I may have saved the birch trees, but wasn't there a compromise solution?  When I learned, later in life, the concept of the effect of the observer on the observed phenomenon, I said, "Been there, done that.  Be wary of the unintended consequences of well intentioned acts."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2691 on: May 23, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
I have. I mainly try to keep the moths from being on the ground, where they can get run over, and the leaves for pressing.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2692 on: May 23, 2013, 11:51:39 PM »
Too funny! I look the same when I save sycamore leaves and Luna moths.
Are you saving the moths and feeding them sycamore leaves?

When I was in elementary school, I was a nerd before "nerd" was a word.  I did a "science experiment" on the polyphemous moths that infested the birch trees in our front yard.  Really infested!  These large, almost neon green caterpillars were dropping out of the trees on our heads as we walked past.  I collected the caterpillars.  I observed them spinning their pupas.  I watched a couple emerge from their cocoons and pump their wings to their full beauty.  I watched several beat their wings to shreds on the bird cage before I let the last one fly free!  I discovered all the eggs they laid in the bird cage, then the tiny little caterpillers hatched in my room and died all over the place.

My father says he hasn't seen a single polyphemous moth since that year.  In the name of scientific inquiry, I wiped out an entire population of moths.  I may have saved the birch trees, but wasn't there a compromise solution?  When I learned, later in life, the concept of the effect of the observer on the observed phenomenon, I said, "Been there, done that.  Be wary of the unintended consequences of well intentioned acts."

You really managed to collect every caterpillar on that tree? And no moth born on a nearby tree wandered over? That seems unlikely. I think there must be a different explanation but your mind associated the end of the moths with your experiments. If I am wrong, then please come visit me, as we have a caterpillar problem.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #2693 on: May 26, 2013, 09:17:42 PM »
Vorbau, are you home yet?  ;)
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #2694 on: May 28, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »
Vorbau, are you home yet?  ;)

Ditto!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2695 on: May 28, 2013, 03:42:42 PM »
I have been looking for her too.

cwm

« Reply #2696 on: May 28, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »
Well, this started out as never trust your mother, but...

When someone has been cutting onions and you ask for a knife to cut up the sugar cookies, make sure it's a different knife. All but the last few cookies tasted like cooked onion. Ruined nearly the whole batch, but at least we can still laugh about it.

Also, don't eat sea salt and vinegar potato chips when you know your allergies are going to be bad and you're likely to spend all day rubbing your eyes and nose. That stuff HURTS.

snowfire

« Reply #2697 on: May 30, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »
When you are on a road trip, don't share an entire bag of prunes with your buddy.  The flatulence was epic, loud and I think that the inside of the glass is permanently etched.  :-\

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2698 on: June 03, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »

You really managed to collect every caterpillar on that tree? And no moth born on a nearby tree wandered over? That seems unlikely. I think there must be a different explanation but your mind associated the end of the moths with your experiments. If I am wrong, then please come visit me, as we have a caterpillar problem.
I think it must have been a small colony.  Maybe there were other predators, too. There are no other birch trees in the neighborhood.  There used to be, decades ago, but they split those lots and built more houses.  I vaguely recall collecting something like 10-12 caterpillars and I did set one moth free. :-[

Sadly, Dad never saw another of those big & beautiful moths.  When I visit him, we sit on the front porch and look at the birch trees and he reminds me of the time I studied the moths to death.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

cwm

« Reply #2699 on: June 03, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »
Just posted this on the crafts board too, but I feel compelled to repeat myself.

When you're tying a fly for fly fishing and you've been using a bobbin (a tool that's basically a very long hollow tube for thread), don't use that same tool for applying glue.

If you do happen to use that same tool for applying fly glue, don't suck the glue into your mouth to clean it out. The next ten minutes spent kneeling over the toilet violently expelling the contents of your entire stomach are not worth the $10 replacement cost of the bobbin.

Yeah, the SMELL of fly glue now makes me slightly nauseous.