Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 496647 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2700 on: June 09, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
When DS has finished his evening milk, wash out the cup immediately.  Failure to do so in hot weather makes the remaining milk curdle horribly. 

Um ya, leaving it until morning?  Don't do that. Please. Especially if you are anything like me, in that curdled or off milk is enough to induce a violent vomiting attack.  Strangely I can cope with jus about anything else. Just not that!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #2701 on: June 10, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
Just posted this on the crafts board too, but I feel compelled to repeat myself.

When you're tying a fly for fly fishing and you've been using a bobbin (a tool that's basically a very long hollow tube for thread), don't use that same tool for applying glue.

If you do happen to use that same tool for applying fly glue, don't suck the glue into your mouth to clean it out. The next ten minutes spent kneeling over the toilet violently expelling the contents of your entire stomach are not worth the $10 replacement cost of the bobbin.

Yeah, the SMELL of fly glue now makes me slightly nauseous.

I'm really really sorry, but I just can't help but giggle at this. It's  funny in a "laugh at someone falling" kinda way. 

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2702 on: June 10, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
If you drop a glass bottle of olive oil and shatter it, wait until AFTER you've cleaned up to get mad about the fact that it's the good olive oil you were infusing with chillies. If you're focussed on "darn it, this is the one that was working, why couldn't I have dropped the one that doesn't taste this good?" while you're cleaning up the (impressive!) mess, you'll start grabbing the pieces of glass instead of picking them up carefully, you'll drop one, you'll automatically snatch at it as it falls, and you'll end up spiking yourself in the palm of your dominant hand.

If you are unfortunate enough to have spiked yourself in the palm of your dominant hand (thankfully not getting much chilli-infused olive oil in the wound!), you are going to need stitches, especially since something that should probably be inside your hand is poking out of the wound. When you ask your wife to assist with bandaids, she will take one look at the cut in your palm (streaming blood in impressive quantities as you hold it under a running tap) and announce she's driving you to the after-hours medical service to get said stitches. No, poking whatever that is back in and sticking a bandaid over the top will not cut it.

End result? The Good Ethnic Boy has four stitches, and luckily his tendons are fine. He was planning to clean up the rest of the mess himself (I was planning to do it for him because, y'know, stitches in the palm of his dominant hand, not good for wielding a mop) but then decided that he'd just get grumpy again thinking of the loss of his successful culinary experiment, and offered me $100 guilt money to clean it up for him. Score!  >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2703 on: June 10, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
If you have to go to the doctor because of your injured foot and you drive a stick shift, do not give up meekly when trying to get either an extra driver or get somebody to allow you to borrow a car with an automatic transmission. If you go to the doctor with only your child who will be 14 the next day, the doctor might give you a nerve block shot in your left foot, preventing you from being able to feel it to the point where you're pretty much guessing on whether or not the clutch is even depressed, let alone fully engaged. You will get so frustrated that after you get off the major roads, and onto the back, country roads that you will allow your will-be-14-year-old-tomorrow to finish driving you home.

Note: We lived in North Dakota for a number of years, where the minimum driving age is 14 for a learners and 14.5 for a regular permit on "real" roads.  The minimum driving age on farms is 12, and said child learned how to drive 2 years ago on a friend's farm.

I did something similar. I was asked by an Aunt (on PEI we were visiting) to go with my cousin Paula to work and take the car and pick up my Cousin Ronnie. I had NEVER driven a car without power steering and power brakes. I did NOT know they existed. The only reason I kept going to the hockey rink was the idea of trying to turn around terrified me at it was literally down the block. I got out of the car handed Ronnie the keys and told him to drive us home. He had his permit - but I was a year shy of being old enough to supervise him. I explained the alternatives were we stay there till someone comes and gets us or we wreck horribly on the way home killing ourselves and possibly some other people. I told him on the very off chance  the cops stopped us on the way home - we would explain and in all likelyhood "get off"

When we got home Aunt nearly exploded - but my Mom was there and she literally dragged her younger sister back into the house and explained that we had made the wisest choice. (She had just gotten there and when Aunt told her I was driving Ronnie home had visions of us dead in the harbor/river. ) I learned to ask "Do you have power steering and power brakes before driving a relative's car.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2704 on: June 10, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
Don't wake your partner who was up coughing half the night and finally took some prescription cough syrup and expect them to be happy with you! He's lucky I didn't punch him in the arm.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2705 on: June 10, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
Don't eat the wrong homemade cheese sauce. (we had two batches in the fridge). I was fine (didn't get sick) after but I felt a bit ick for awhile.

cwm

« Reply #2706 on: June 10, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
Just posted this on the crafts board too, but I feel compelled to repeat myself.

When you're tying a fly for fly fishing and you've been using a bobbin (a tool that's basically a very long hollow tube for thread), don't use that same tool for applying glue.

If you do happen to use that same tool for applying fly glue, don't suck the glue into your mouth to clean it out. The next ten minutes spent kneeling over the toilet violently expelling the contents of your entire stomach are not worth the $10 replacement cost of the bobbin.

Yeah, the SMELL of fly glue now makes me slightly nauseous.

I'm really really sorry, but I just can't help but giggle at this. It's  funny in a "laugh at someone falling" kinda way.

Go ahead and laugh. It's long enough ago that I can see the humor in it. I'm even laughing remembering it, though my best friend that I was skyping with at the time didn't know what was going on and was slightly terrified.

Dawse

« Reply #2707 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »
Two work related idiot-moments at opposite ends of the temperature spectrum for you.

At the hot end - if you drop a pair of tongs into a deep fat fryer - for the love of all that you hold dear resist the automatic urge to plunge your hand straight in to fish it back out. That oil is over 180 degrees Celsius and will BURN YOU. Fortunately the pain receptors kicked in fairly quickly and the chap in question just has burned finger tips rather than, say, all the way up to the elbow, resulting in a comparatively mild outcome of a couple of blisters and spending a few minutes under the cold tap swearing instead of a mad dash to A&E. You'd think he'd know better - he's the kitchen manager. Don't DO that if you like your fingers in full working order.

And at the cold end, fortunately more amusing than anything else. If you do have the urge to eat things like frozen peas and frozen green beans straight out of the freezer because you like the texture, don't assume because they aren't ice cream products they won't give you brain freeze. They will. And then your co workers will laugh at you. Which, in fairness, you probably deserve. (Yeah, that one was me ::))

ETA it probably might help to mention I work in a pub. Not many offices have deep fat fryers and industrial freezers.::)
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2708 on: June 12, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
ETA it probably might help to mention I work in a pub. Not many offices have deep fat fryers and industrial freezers.::)

I gotta admit, it would be a pretty cool office if it did!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2709 on: June 15, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
I was at the grocery today andrhe woman ahead of me had a huge order that would be delivered to her home.  When this happens, the employees pull out boxes to pack up the order.  To strengthen the boxes they strap the corners and bottoms of the boxes with tape.

That's a good idea but this time, it was a bit strange.  One of the boxes had a hole in the bottom roughly as big as a  letter-sized piece of paper.  The box effectively had no bottom.  The employees didn't seem to notice.  They just strapped clear tape over the opening and kept packing.

Of course, a single layer of clear tape is going to safely support a dozen liter bottles of seltzer and two gallon bottles of milk. 

Good luck on that one. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2710 on: June 16, 2013, 07:35:59 PM »
Do not, I repeat, do not eat watermelon, drink a glass of prune juice, and have a few pieces of sugar free hard candy within a 24 hour period, 48 hours probably still isn't a good idea.  Your intestines will hate you and your pets will run, eyes watering, to the other side of the house....you will wish you could run with them, but you cannot escape the noxious fumes coming from yourself.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #2711 on: June 16, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »
Do not, I repeat, do not eat watermelon, drink a glass of prune juice, and have a few pieces of sugar free hard candy within a 24 hour period, 48 hours probably still isn't a good idea.  Your intestines will hate you and your pets will run, eyes watering, to the other side of the house....you will wish you could run with them, but you cannot escape the noxious fumes coming from yourself.

I think I sprained my finger trying to like this. . . . :D

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2712 on: June 16, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »

The above also applies to excessive consumption of bananas and pawpaw (papaya), either together or separately.  Result will be one or more of excruciating pain, profuse noxious emissions or the final explosive finale.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2713 on: June 17, 2013, 06:12:34 AM »

The above also applies to excessive consumption of bananas and pawpaw (papaya), either together or separately.  Result will be one or more of excruciating pain, profuse noxious emissions or the final explosive finale.

The explosive finale came about an hour later.  I'm so glad DH wasn't home to witness it.  As it was, I had to open a window and the slider.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2714 on: June 17, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
And to drag this exceedingly off-topic thread back to etiquette, does one have to apologize to other people for the noises emanating from the bathroom in such a case?  It IS the appropriate place for playing the intestinal tuba, after all.   I say no, that polite people pretend not to notice such things.  MIL insisted that one should always apologize, just as one apologizes for letting one rip at the dinner table.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~