Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 496579 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2730 on: June 24, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »
When your house is absolutely packed full of furniture, as in every wall is lined and there is some in the middle of the rooms too, don't keep buying it!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2731 on: June 24, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
If you manage to cut your knuckle on the Subtle Knife (ceramic knife that cuts way too easily through most things), do not then forget about it hours later, go to wash more dishes, and press onto a sponge then use your knuckles to scrub at something.  That small flap of skin that finally quit bleeding will gush blood anew.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2732 on: June 25, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
When your house is absolutely packed full of furniture, as in every wall is lined and there is some in the middle of the rooms too, don't keep buying it!

There used to be an antique auction near me.  I once sat next to a nice antique dealer.  He said that is generally how people end up in the business.  They buy so much that eventually they have to sell some. 
I bought a dining table that was 4'x7' for $100.  Whereas smaller table were going for lots more.  He said smaller generally means more expensive because almost everyone can fit in a 12" round drinks table someplace.  But, I was probably the only person in the room with space for a dining table particularly a big one. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2733 on: June 25, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
The people I referred to are my PIL. They have so much stuff in their house they will never make it out if there is a fire. They keep buying more, then keep it in the garage until DH and DS go over for some reason, then conscript them into labor moving all this furniture. Most is chip board pieces from the 1970's, not quality wood furniture.

These are also people who keep telling us they are selling their house and moving into an apartment. Where will the furniture go?

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #2734 on: June 25, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
In our case, when DH and I moved into a house half the size of our old one, what we couldn't sell went to the Habitat for Humanity store. Just sayin'.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2735 on: June 26, 2013, 11:39:57 AM »
When you (general) have been unemployed for 4 months and are job searching, returning calls and emails within one business day is generally good practice.

Taking a vacation when you have been complaining how much your usual living expenses are (now with no income)? Not so great.

Listing only your home phone number on your resume then leaving town on pleasure travel? Brainless.

lilfox

« Reply #2736 on: June 27, 2013, 03:29:11 PM »
Oh, you reminded me.  When you are out of work and relying on continued unemployment to cover rent and bills, Do Not forget to call in as required to maintain those unemployment benefits!  The way my (at the time) state's system worked, once you were enrolled you had to call every two weeks at a set time and respond to a series of automated prompts, and then your check would be issued.  Forgetting to do so means no check for those two weeks and there is no back pay if you remember later.

Fortunately I wasn't quite living paycheck to paycheck but it was one of the dumbest (and costliest) lapses I've made.  I wasn't even out of town, I simply forgot until it was too late.   :-[

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2737 on: June 28, 2013, 09:06:05 AM »
I have two, and both are mine!

When you have both your wireless ear piece and your vehicle key in your hand, don't put the wrong one in your ear!  :o

When you open the credenza cabinet door on your desk to get something out, don't lean that way later. I have a huge goose egg on my head.

exitzero

« Reply #2738 on: June 28, 2013, 09:21:09 AM »
I have two, and both are mine!

When you have both your wireless ear piece and your vehicle key in your hand, don't put the wrong one in your ear!  :o

When you open the credenza cabinet door on your desk to get something out, don't lean that way later. I have a huge goose egg on my head.

My boyfriend continually leaves cabinet doors open, and continually conks himself on the head.

You start to lose sympathy after awhile

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2739 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:57 AM »
Don't play with your energetic kitten by encouraging her to attack moving lumps under the bedcovers... especially if you're male. If you do, well, kittens get bigger. And heavier. And one day she'll take an unexpected flying leap at a different lump under the bedcovers.

The Good Ethnic Boy found that one out last night!  >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #2740 on: June 28, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
Don't remove a child's nail polish with her hands on a wood table, even if you have a towel under her hands. The remover will very likely soak through the towel and take some of the finish off the table, leaving an interesting pattern etched in the tabletop.

I'm thankful it was just the cheap kitchen cart!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

magicdomino

« Reply #2741 on: June 28, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »
Slate tile makes a lovely floor.  It also makes lovely stairs.  Just don't ever fall on them. 

At least I was going upstairs yesterday, and didn't have far to fall.  I have fallen going down when I missed the last step thanks to a too-dim nightlight.  Still amazed that I didn't break anything that time.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2742 on: June 28, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »
Slate tile makes a lovely floor.  It also makes lovely stairs.  Just don't ever fall on them. 

At least I was going upstairs yesterday, and didn't have far to fall.  I have fallen going down when I missed the last step thanks to a too-dim nightlight.  Still amazed that I didn't break anything that time.

It is possible to break several bones, including a rib which then proceeds to puncture your lung, even when stairs are carpeted with padding underneath!  I know this for a fact!   :(

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2743 on: June 28, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
Oh, you reminded me.  When you are out of work and relying on continued unemployment to cover rent and bills, Do Not forget to call in as required to maintain those unemployment benefits!  The way my (at the time) state's system worked, once you were enrolled you had to call every two weeks at a set time and respond to a series of automated prompts, and then your check would be issued.  Forgetting to do so means no check for those two weeks and there is no back pay if you remember later.

Fortunately I wasn't quite living paycheck to paycheck but it was one of the dumbest (and costliest) lapses I've made.  I wasn't even out of town, I simply forgot until it was too late.   :-[

DH was unemployed for several months back before we were married, and I was furious at him because he forgot this at least twice.  All you have to do is to make a stupid phone call!  He didn't see the big deal  ::)  (He's grown up a lot since then, thankfully!)

greencat

« Reply #2744 on: June 29, 2013, 02:19:16 AM »
I have a very special crafter "don't do that" - do not, under any circumstances, leave a block of polymer clay on a polyurethane-sealed wood surface.

I had absolutely no idea that the clay would eat through the polyurethane like it did - it took it right down to bare wood and left it sticky around the edges!