Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 482830 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2745 on: June 29, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
^Wow! I always use a cutting board as a base with clay.

Don't leave a glass bottle of sparkling water in the back of the refrigerator that freezes everything. This morning, I heard a *boom*, then opened the refrigerator to see water, ice and green glass everywhere.  >:(

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2746 on: June 29, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »
That reminds me.  Don't put a bottle of Lancer's in the freezer.  Only good thing, was that it was pretty easy to clean up.

Lancer's is great with steak if you put it in the freezer while the steaks cook.  I was thinking of that wonderfulness while I uploaded groceries. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2747 on: July 02, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
When you open the credenza cabinet door on your desk to get something out, don't lean that way later. I have a huge goose egg on my head.

My boyfriend continually leaves cabinet doors open, and continually conks himself on the head.

Our decision to remove the kitchen cabinet doors was not entirely aesthetic.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2748 on: July 04, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »
I made hummus for the first time today.  (Broke out my food processor for the first time, too - it was a wedding gift, seven years ago . . .)  Anyway, PROTIP: if you're going to browse recipes on the internet and "average them out" because you're usually a pretty good cook and weren't planning on measuring anything anyway, check the yield of the recipes before you use them.  My hummus ended up in the "oh god oh god can't breathe garlic's gonna get me" range because the recipe I got the amount of garlic was calibrated to make three times the total output as the recipes I got the other ingredient quantities from  :-[  I doubled everything else (nearly overflowing the food processor) and added some more stuff just for the heck of it and the hummus is now down from "death by garlic" to "vampires can't come on this block anymore."  Incidentally, anyone need a gallon of garlic hummus?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2749 on: July 04, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
I made hummus for the first time today.  (Broke out my food processor for the first time, too - it was a wedding gift, seven years ago . . .)  Anyway, PROTIP: if you're going to browse recipes on the internet and "average them out" because you're usually a pretty good cook and weren't planning on measuring anything anyway, check the yield of the recipes before you use them.  My hummus ended up in the "oh god oh god can't breathe garlic's gonna get me" range because the recipe I got the amount of garlic was calibrated to make three times the total output as the recipes I got the other ingredient quantities from  :-[  I doubled everything else (nearly overflowing the food processor) and added some more stuff just for the heck of it and the hummus is now down from "death by garlic" to "vampires can't come on this block anymore."  Incidentally, anyone need a gallon of garlic hummus?

I don't need it...but I go through about three normal size packs in 2 weeks so I could probably use some for next week.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2750 on: July 04, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »
Sounds about like my hummus... even DH (who loves garlic as much as I do) requested that I use less garlic when I do hummus for dinner, as apparently I reeked of garlic when he got home. Apparently my breath could kill Dracula at 50 paces.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2751 on: July 04, 2013, 08:29:02 PM »
I did that once with salsa. I didn't feel like measuring, so I just started peeling cloves of garlic and tossing them in. I think I added like 20. It was painful to eat.

mmswm

« Reply #2752 on: July 04, 2013, 08:41:10 PM »
My sister used to make a heavy garlic Italian type dressing.  She ate it all the time.  She had to quit when she started sweating out the excess garlic.  Yup, she was fun to be around for a little bit.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2753 on: July 05, 2013, 07:37:11 PM »
We had to switch to the Sabra roasted red peppers hummus, because we like to use it instead of mayonnaise or mustard on sandwiches.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2754 on: July 05, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
My sister used to make a heavy garlic Italian type dressing.  She ate it all the time.  She had to quit when she started sweating out the excess garlic.  Yup, she was fun to be around for a little bit.

My sister's first husband had a personal philosophy about food that could be best expressed as "If you're eating curry, you should be sweating by the third bite. If you're eating Italian, you should be able to taste the garlic on your skin the next day." Despite this, he never got whiffy!  ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

dawbs

« Reply #2755 on: July 05, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
I did that once with salsa. I didn't feel like measuring, so I just started peeling cloves of garlic and tossing them in. I think I added like 20. It was painful to eat.
I was given a cookbook that had a cheddar/beer soup in it, as a wedding gift.

I don't tend to buy garlic often--I like garlic but I'm much more likely to scoop out the amount in the pre-minced jarred garlic or to use garlic salt than to actually buy a clove of garlic.

Cheddar-beer soup called for 1 clove of garlic.  If you're a newbie cook and your new husband is helping you, 1 clove=/= 1 head.
It was inedible.  *shudder*
sadly enough, I've never felt inclined to try the recipe again  ;D

greencat

« Reply #2756 on: July 05, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »
Just because you normally use your restaurant-style stainless steel pan on the top of the stove and the handle is safe to touch when you use it that way does not mean that you can grasp it bare-handed immediately after you pull it out of the oven which was on high broil.  A tremendous amount of OW OW OW OW and a succession of ice packs later and my hand has bands of shiny skin where I managed to wrap it completely around the handle before the intense heat made it to my brain and the "LET GO NOW" signal made it back to my hand.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2757 on: July 06, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »
We had to switch to the Sabra roasted red peppers hummus, because we like to use it instead of mayonnaise or mustard on sandwiches.

I use red peppers to scoop out that hummus (like a dip) to eat it.  It's my quiet little joke and makes me smile.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2758 on: July 08, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »
I usually toast whole grain pita, then cut it with a pizza wheel into wedges. I also serve it with fresh bell pepper strips.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2759 on: July 08, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »
I was given a cookbook that had a cheddar/beer soup in it, as a wedding gift.

I don't tend to buy garlic often--I like garlic but I'm much more likely to scoop out the amount in the pre-minced jarred garlic or to use garlic salt than to actually buy a clove of garlic.

Cheddar-beer soup called for 1 clove of garlic.  If you're a newbie cook and your new husband is helping you, 1 clove=/= 1 head.

It was inedible.  *shudder*
sadly enough, I've never felt inclined to try the recipe again  ;D

I had a friend who tried that once.  When she was a Bride, she  was making meatballs for her DH and made the 1 head=1 clove of garlic mistake.  She also thought that dried herbs were less flavorful than fresh and added almost half a jar of oregano. 

So far as I know, the marriage has survived.