Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 537240 times)

rain

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2760 on: July 10, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »
learned this one recently

if you melt butter for a recipe & it solidifies before you finish using it, DON'T reheat it  in the microwave for more than a few seconds at a time - it will explode  :o  (I learned something new)

(I was making bread that required melted butter in the dough, then use the rest after the dough raises)
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

lilfox

« Reply #2761 on: July 10, 2013, 11:41:55 PM »
My hummus-related "don't do that" is if you are making two recipes in quick succession and one involves garlic while the other involves garlic and ginger, do not confuse the food processors into which these items are going.  Garlic + ginger is excellent for a marinade.  Garlic + ginger is way less awesome for hummus.

dawbs

« Reply #2762 on: July 11, 2013, 10:26:35 AM »
You would think that multiple adults in the house wouldn't each need to learn this multiple times...

When you take a used k-cup out of the kurig, said cup has *just* had a lot of super-hot water through it.  Said cup should go into the trash. If you're trying to prevent coffee from dripping all the way across the floor, between the Kurig and the trash can, put your nice, hot, cup of coffee underneath the cup to catch the drips.
Not your hand.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #2763 on: July 11, 2013, 12:38:41 PM »
On a related note, if you use your Kurig for hot water to make tea, make sure there are no k-cups left in the machine before you press start. Coffee and tea do not mix.  :P
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

cwm

« Reply #2764 on: July 11, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »
On a third note, if you use the Keurig to make tea using the k-cups, run a batch of water through without any k-cups in it. Coffee residue is persistent, especially if it's a Keurig located at work and about 50 people use it on a daily basis with various types of coffee.

Another random Keurig note- if you're like me and you like a bit of coffee flavor in your hot cocoa, DO NOT run water to flush the k-cup holder before running hot chocolate through. It's delicious.

lilfox

« Reply #2765 on: July 12, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »
At my job, we routinely have visitors come in and work with us for a few days.  We also record (audio and video) parts of these sessions, but only when the visitors are in a particular location - the gear for this is not openly visible, but they are fully informed that they are being recorded.  Anywhere else, however, anything they say is off the record.

So, one visitor is a big joke teller, he's got a million of 'em.  We're all sitting in a common room on break and he's practically doing a whole routine.  One joke, he decided was inappropriate for mixed company, but my one (male) coworker had been egging him on and really wanted to hear it.  So, they go down the hall to a room where no women are currently present: the location with all the active recording information, and that's where the visitor tells the joke.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #2766 on: July 14, 2013, 10:16:50 PM »
Lilfox, maybe you should post that in the Professional Darwinism thread!  :o

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #2767 on: July 22, 2013, 09:26:37 AM »
You would think that multiple adults in the house wouldn't each need to learn this multiple times...

When you take a used k-cup out of the kurig, said cup has *just* had a lot of super-hot water through it.  Said cup should go into the trash. If you're trying to prevent coffee from dripping all the way across the floor, between the Kurig and the trash can, put your nice, hot, cup of coffee underneath the cup to catch the drips.
Not your hand.

I can see why you would need multiple lessons... if the k cup is still that hot then you haven't had your coffee yet!

GreenHall

« Reply #2768 on: July 24, 2013, 12:07:47 PM »
Do not just click on the 'new' button in the cutliness folder, without reading the thread title.  "Show off your cold blooded pets" opens with a snake facing you...well I'm awake now...

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2769 on: July 24, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
Do not just click on the 'new' button in the cutliness folder, without reading the thread title.  "Show off your cold blooded pets" opens with a snake facing you...well I'm awake now...

Ooh, I might just have to check it out.  I love cute snakes.  I used to have a garter, and when I was five an across the street neighbor used to wrap his boa constrictor around me.  :D

Kaymyth

« Reply #2770 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »
^Wow! I always use a cutting board as a base with clay.

Don't leave a glass bottle of sparkling water in the back of the refrigerator that freezes everything. This morning, I heard a *boom*, then opened the refrigerator to see water, ice and green glass everywhere.  >:(

Also don't put a bottle of Diet Mt. Dew in the back of a refrigerator that's set too cold.  It will partially freeze.  And then when you start to open it, you will have just enough time to register that something is HORRIBLY WRONG before the cap explodes off and your cube neighbors are showered with soda.

I, being one of those cube neighbors, was mopping up bits of Diet Mt. Dew from all over my desk, computer, papers, phone, stapler, etc.  We had to call in maintenance to mop it off of the ceiling.

snowfire

« Reply #2771 on: July 24, 2013, 11:20:09 PM »
A friend of mine learned this one the hard way:

When travelling from the U.S.. to the UK- do not plug your curling iron into the wall using only a plug converter & not a transformer.  Burnt hair does not smell good and it takes months for the singed part to grow out.  (U.S. runs on 110v and UK on 220v)

Also:  do not use an electric mixer to stir the organic peanut butter in the jar.  Oil and peanut butter all over the ceiling, floor, cabinets, cat......

greencat

« Reply #2772 on: July 25, 2013, 05:18:40 AM »
In general, do not expose bottles or cans of soda to temperatures either too cold or too hot - I had the rather interesting experience once of finding that a can of soda had IMploded in one of those too-cold fridges.  I'm not really sure how that was mechanically possible - especially since one of the other cans had exploded the regular way, and the other cans left from the pack were just fine.

Leaving a bottle of soda in my car on a hot Florida summer day resulted in needing to spend some time cleaning the rear window of soda. 

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #2773 on: July 25, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
Rats aren't strictly nocturnal. They tend to be awake in the morning and in the evening. But they are very smart and will quickly learn to be awake when the pepple are awake because that's when the food comes!

I believe the word is "crepuscular". Apologies if someone else has replied. I'm not yet through the thread.

magicdomino

« Reply #2774 on: July 25, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »
A friend of mine learned this one the hard way:

When travelling from the U.S.. to the UK- do not plug your curling iron into the wall using only a plug converter & not a transformer.  Burnt hair does not smell good and it takes months for the singed part to grow out.  (U.S. runs on 110v and UK on 220v)

A friend of mine fried a battery recharger that way.  In all fairness, some electronics can switch from 110v to 220v -- my iPod and computer cords do it automatically, and I've had hair dryers with a voltage-changing switch.  You have to read the really fine print to be sure, though.