Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 504152 times)

lilfox

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2775 on: July 25, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
Two from a recent flight:

When someone wants to get by you into your seat row, hold your iced coffee in your hand while standing and waiting.  Do not put it in the seatback pocket to store it, the person will bump it and it will collapse and spill all over your stuff under the seat.  (note that this happened before caffeine was in my system, hence the resulting poor choice).

At cruise altitude, the air pressure in the cabin is less than on the ground.  Normally this does not present a problem.  However, if your child has recently acquired a water bottle that uses a straw to draw the water out, you will get a quick lesson in fluid dynamics when you go to open the straw for the child at altitude - water shot right up the straw in a pretty impressive fountain, hitting all three of us in the row before I was able to close the straw.  Equalize the pressure by unscrewing the lid first!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2776 on: July 25, 2013, 01:43:51 PM »

When someone wants to get by you into your seat row, hold your iced coffee in your hand while standing and waiting.  Do not put it in the seatback pocket to store it, the person will bump it and it will collapse and spill all over your stuff under the seat.  (note that this happened before caffeine was in my system, hence the resulting poor choice).

At cruise altitude, the air pressure in the cabin is less than on the ground.  Normally this does not present a problem.  However, if your child has recently acquired a water bottle that uses a straw to draw the water out, you will get a quick lesson in fluid dynamics when you go to open the straw for the child at altitude - water shot right up the straw in a pretty impressive fountain, hitting all three of us in the row before I was able to close the straw.  Equalize the pressure by unscrewing the lid first!

That applies to juice boxes, too - if you open the juice box at the wrong time and don't pay attention, the changing pressure will slowly squeeze apple juice out the straw and out onto whatever you had underneath the seat.

dawbs

« Reply #2777 on: July 25, 2013, 03:53:19 PM »
*snip*

we re-learned this last week.
Except it's the sippy-cup of doom that we ALLLLLLllll already hate.  The stupid thing siphons when there's a strong difference in temp between the milk inside it and the air...so, basically, any time the child wants cold milk (meaning, all the dang time).

It's especially un-fun when it's 2 am, flights have been delayed, and you promise the over-tired toddler her favorite strawberry milk--which then rains down onto her favorite stuffed bunny.  Bunny is in the wash today and the flight attendant gave us more (white, much less fun--but I was grateful) milk and an extra cookie.  Toddler was not quite assuaged. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2778 on: July 25, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »

That applies to juice boxes, too - if you open the juice box at the wrong time and don't pay attention, the changing pressure will slowly squeeze apple juice out the straw and out onto whatever you had underneath the seat.

It even happens when traveling in the mountains! We had pop overflow with a great exuberance, and opening a swollen bag of chips will cause an explosion. (Can pop be exuberant? It seems to get pretty exited sometimes.)

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2779 on: July 25, 2013, 08:24:37 PM »

When putting Deep Heat on your injured foot, ensure you wash your hands VERY WELL before using the toilet. Especially sitting down use.

Fliss
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

perpetua

« Reply #2780 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »

When putting Deep Heat on your injured foot, ensure you wash your hands VERY WELL before using the toilet. Especially sitting down use.

Fliss

Oh, I've got that t-shirt.

Also, when applying Deep Heat to your glutes from a new tube, remember it is likely to be far more potent than the old tube you've had for about a year before you slather it on in the same volume. Forgetting this vital yet basic principle of chemistry will lead your boyfriend to actually cry laughing at you (with pointing) while you lament the fact that your rear end is actually on fire.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2781 on: July 25, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »
I always seem to get it near my face somehow. Never close enough to actually do damage but close enough for my eyes and nose to burn and water non stop.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #2782 on: July 25, 2013, 11:16:58 PM »
Don't use anything like that before putting your contacts in or taking them out. It's pretty much the worst thing ever.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2783 on: August 22, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »
Don't eat finger food immediately after putting diaper cream on your baby unless you wash your hands really well in between.  A quick rinse in the sink won't cut it, because diaper cream is made to, you know, stay on your skin.

My raspberries taste like diapers now.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2784 on: August 22, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
My 3-year-old is in the "I will not nap" phase.  The other day she dug in her diaper table and pretended that the diaper cream was shampoo.  That was NOT fun to get out. 
Bath time is normally happy time around here.  But, there was an annoyed mommy and a crying toddler that evening. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2785 on: August 22, 2013, 02:58:04 PM »
Don't eat finger food immediately after putting diaper cream on your baby unless you wash your hands really well in between.  A quick rinse in the sink won't cut it, because diaper cream is made to, you know, stay on your skin.

My raspberries taste like diapers now.

Does your oatmeal taste like poverty?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2786 on: August 22, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »

Instead of? - or in addition to smelling like poverty? ;D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2787 on: August 22, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »

:D
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

magicdomino

« Reply #2788 on: August 23, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »

:D

***  For the education of newcomers to our forum, this joke refers to an old thread.  One of our members posted that she was nuking oatmeal in the office microwave.  A co-worker complained that oatmeal smells like poverty.  We then proceeded to detail how we like our poverty.

You may now return to doing things that probably weren't a bright idea to do.  ***

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2789 on: August 23, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »
I had poverty for breakfast twice this week.