Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 482255 times)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2850 on: November 01, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
I had a bit of a brain fart that gave me a chuckle this morning. DD dressed up as Minnie Mouse for Halloween last night, so I thought it would be really cute to dress Baby as Mickey Mouse. I got a long sleeved black shirt, black legging style pants, and red shorts from Goodwill. My plan was to sew some yellow buttons on the red shorts and safety pin some ears to a beanie style cap.

Last night I was frantic. I couldn't find the clothes anywhere. I spent an hour and a half looking for that outfit and I was going crazy because I knew that I had seen it all just a couple days ago. I finally ended up grabbing a Spiderman costume from the dress up bin and taking him out in that. And then I stopped thinking about it.

This morning I had to do some laundry and realized I had left a load in the washer. Ewww. So I ran it again with vinegar to get rid of the musty mildewy smell. When I moved it to the dryer, I found the costume clothes. I checked the dryer 3 times last night, but never looked in the washer ::) ::) ::)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #2851 on: November 02, 2013, 12:05:11 AM »
If you get your thumb closed between two car doors, by all means go back to the house and don't play tag with the rest of the birthday guests. Take the ice and painkillers offered by the GOH's mother. Call your parents to let them know what happened, and take their advice over the phone. Ignore what the people who are in front of you and can see the damage are saying.

The next day, when your parents finally see your thumb, which has a rather large dent just below the cuticle and is swollen somewhat epically, continue to listen to them when they say it's not worth going to see a doctor. Even when the nail falls off.

To this day, I don't know if I actually broke the thumb or not, I never saw anyone. Dad convinced me that they'd only be able to tape it and give me painkillers, it would have only been the tip of my thumb. I think I did, though, because I can feel the weather change, and that knuckle has been able to pop funny since then. Oh well.

{snip}

When I was 8 or 9, I was on a softball team.  First practice, all us young girls with no clue what we were doing and crazy stiff gloves, we were taught to catch the ball in the glove and then cover it with our other hand so it wouldn't fall out.

I, being the uber-brilliant 8 or 9 year old that I was, extrapolated from this that if it was good to cover the ball to keep it in, it would be even better to help it in with the other hand!

...not so much.  Most likely broke the thumb.  Shoved it in a water bottle full of ice water to prevent swelling, the nail turned black and fell off a month later, and then the knuckled popped.  Every. Time. I. Bent. My. Thumb.  For four years.

At age 13, it's so bad that I'm bending the thumb to hold on to a pen, and leaving it bent even when I let go of the pen, so I don't have to deal with the pain of popping it straight and then bent again.  We finally went to a doctor who informed me that it's chock full of scar tissue so the tendon doesn't have room to slide through (? past?) the ligaments and we can do surgery now to cut out the scar tissue or wait.  Until the bone itself pops out of the skin and I need 5 or 6 surgeries.

Yeah, I had surgery on my thumb then. 

So I feel your pain, cwm.  And if your popping thumb gets too bad, get it checked out!

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #2852 on: November 20, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »
I'm not exactly sure where to put this, but this seems like the best bet.

What shouldn't I do? I should not forget a coworker is a Jehovas Wittness.

I walk into the lounge the other day, and see that A had moved the Christmassy table cloth all the way off the table.

I like to tease people about goofy things, and I went up to her and said, Hey A, what did the table cloth do to offend you? The very micro second the "you" popped out of my mouth, my brain reminded me that A is a Jehovas Wittness. In the same breath, I said Oh my God, A, I am so sorry, I completly forgot. I was just being a smart a**.

She started laughing, and said that I need not worry, and that she needed to laugh. She said that her family will get a kick out of it as well. I said, I know I should be embarrassed, but that was to funny to be embarrassed about.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2853 on: November 20, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
^^^  Wait!  I admit to knowing very little about that particular religion, but they are allowed to just come in and remove any sign or symbol of a seasonal/religious holiday from a workplace lounge?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2854 on: November 20, 2013, 09:52:11 PM »
I walk into the lounge the other day, and see that A had moved the Christmassy table cloth all the way off the table.
Maybe I can quietly relocate the Nativity scene our very Catholic clerk displays at the entrance to our government office. :o
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2855 on: November 20, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »
^^^  Wait!  I admit to knowing very little about that particular religion, but they are allowed to just come in and remove any sign or symbol of a seasonal/religious holiday from a workplace lounge?

The religion itself forbids any form of celebration of holidays, and I would assume that would mean that, to some, it means that eating at a table with decorations is a tacit approval of the celebration.  Kind of how someone who's Jewish wouldn't eat off of plates made of bacon.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2856 on: November 20, 2013, 10:45:46 PM »

The religion itself forbids any form of celebration of holidays, and I would assume that would mean that, to some, it means that eating at a table with decorations is a tacit approval of the celebration.  Kind of how someone who's Jewish wouldn't eat off of plates made of bacon.

End result being, if the workplace is willing to be tolerant of her religion in this way, the coworkers won't mind and everyone will be civil about it.  If not, there will be conflict and it will dump back on HR to make a ruling.  Just like any other religion-in-the-workplace disagreement  :-\

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2857 on: November 21, 2013, 07:14:05 AM »

End result being, if the workplace is willing to be tolerant of her religion in this way, the coworkers won't mind and everyone will be civil about it.  If not, there will be conflict and it will dump back on HR to make a ruling.  Just like any other religion-in-the-workplace disagreement  :-\

Yep, just clarifying why they would do such a thing... Mom studied with the JWs for a few years before she passed.  Nice people, at least the ones she studied with.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2858 on: November 21, 2013, 08:49:03 AM »
Maybe I can quietly relocate the Nativity scene our very Catholic clerk displays at the entrance to our government office. :o

Whaaaaa?  She's allowed to do this why?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #2859 on: November 21, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
She only does this to the table she is sitting at, and promptly puts it back when she is done with her break/lunch. I found out from someone else, that the color schemes on them also hurt her eyes.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2860 on: November 22, 2013, 08:20:50 AM »
She only does this to the table she is sitting at, and promptly puts it back when she is done with her break/lunch. I found out from someone else, that the color schemes on them also hurt her eyes.

It's good to hear she is so sweetly considerate.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2861 on: November 22, 2013, 10:23:22 AM »

Yes.  That information changes how I feel about the situation and her personally.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2862 on: November 24, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »

Yes.  That information changes how I feel about the situation and her personally.

Some of them hurt my eyes as well.  It's the colors or patterns or something.  Some of them make me a little motion sick feeling too.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2863 on: November 24, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »

Some of them hurt my eyes as well.  It's the colors or patterns or something.  Some of them make me a little motion sick feeling too.
Certain shades of red paired with certain shades of green seem to vibrate, all right. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

starofwinter

« Reply #2864 on: November 25, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »
If you're making steak and the recipe calls for searing them and then putting everything, pan and all, into the 500 degree oven before taking it out, remember that the pan handle will still be 500 degrees.  Better yet, everyone I knew was halfway across the country, save for the friend staying with me.  She dragged me to the ER, where they told me I had second, nearly third degree burns.  I still haven't quite gotten feeling back.

On the other hand (pun intended), I coached her through making the sauteed mushrooms and we still ate before leaving.  I wanted to enjoy it, at least.