Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 522870 times)

GreenHall

Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2865 on: November 25, 2013, 09:09:56 AM »
Well starofwinter, you at least make me feel better about my oops last night. 

When sliding the rack back into the oven, make sure the pot holder you are using does not slip - I got a nice stripe across 3 fingers of my left hand.  Last night I did not think it was EVER going to stop hurting.  It's amazing how much you (general) do with your non-dominant hand.  (well, all that stuff, and demonstrably - pushing the rack in the oven back in ::))

cwm

« Reply #2866 on: November 25, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
I am physically incapable of making a pizza in the oven without burning myself. Every time in the past year plus that I've cooked/made my own pizza, I get a burn. Most of them are pretty minor, but it's annoying when BF keeps saying "Oh, we'll get Papa Murphy's and bake it at home!" and then he disappears when the pizza's ready to come out of the oven.

On the plus side, I'm getting a collection of interesting scars.

GreenHall

« Reply #2867 on: November 25, 2013, 01:16:10 PM »
I don't cook much, but it seems like, every other/every third time I do more than heat up a microwave dinner, I injure myself.  The burns hurt but when you clip a fingertip (generally early in the cooking process is when the chopping occurs) you then have to not bleed into everything else you do...and so the cycle continues. (really, it's not just that I'm incredibly lazy...)

greencat

« Reply #2868 on: November 26, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »
Thanksgiving PSA:

Don't sling the grocery bag holding the frozen turkey over your shoulder!  It's basically a 12 pound bowling ball in a sling, and as such, will hurt when it hits your side. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2869 on: November 26, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »
Thanksgiving PSA:

Don't sling the grocery bag holding the frozen turkey over your shoulder!  It's basically a 12 pound bowling ball in a sling, and as such, will hurt when it hits your side.
If you are using a cane, do not attempt to hold the grocery bag in the same hand as the cane, because it WILL swing around and pull you off balance.  And when you tell your physical therapist that not only did you have a hip replaced, but were mugged by a dead chicken, they will laugh at you.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2870 on: November 26, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »
Thanksgiving PSA:

If you are using a cane, do not attempt to hold the grocery bag in the same hand as the cane, because it WILL swing around and pull you off balance.  And when you tell your physical therapist that not only did you have a hip replaced, but were mugged by a dead chicken, they will laugh at you.

One more BIG request for the "Like" button!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2871 on: November 27, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »
Thanksgiving PSA:

I was talking to a friend yesterday.  We were having a discussion about weird frozen chicken/turkey disasters.  I cannot tell you the number of people that have dropped one or it fell out the freezer and 1. broke their foot, 2. gave them a concussion, 3. broke the tile/slate floor, 4. gave them a black eye (that's usually just a package, not a whole one), 5. broke a cheekbone (also a package of chicken), 6. threw their back out moving a turkey from fridge to counter or putting/taking out of the trunk of the car.

Turkeys and chickens are dangerous.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2872 on: November 27, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
Thanksgiving PSA:

I was talking to a friend yesterday.  We were having a discussion about weird frozen chicken/turkey disasters.  I cannot tell you the number of people that have dropped one or it fell out the freezer and 1. broke their foot, 2. gave them a concussion, 3. broke the tile/slate floor, 4. gave them a black eye (that's usually just a package, not a whole one), 5. broke a cheekbone (also a package of chicken), 6. threw their back out moving a turkey from fridge to counter or putting/taking out of the trunk of the car.

Turkeys and chickens are dangerous.   ;)

Mythbusters did a myth about a frozen Turkey falling on a small dog and killing it.  Myth was verified.  (No dogs were harmed)

snowfire

« Reply #2873 on: November 27, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
I was just thinking about that one.  I've dropped one on my foot, but luckily it didn't hit squarely.  I was just dented, not broken.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #2874 on: December 04, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »
DH woke me up at dark o'clock this morning. Had he woken me half an hour earlier, I would have an entry in the stupid things you've had to tell people thread. Unfortunately he didn't, and I'm here.

I've been feeling under the weather and last night I took some nyquil and conked out, so I was a bit groggy in addition to being grumpy that DH was waking me early. I woke up pretty fast though when DH told me, "Honey, when you put kitty litter in the toilet it turns into super hard glue and clogs up the toilet." I almost jumped out of bed, figuring that one of the kids had found a new way to make my life interesting. Nope, DH did it. When he saw the confused/exasperated/annoyed look on my face, he admitted he thought it would be easier to flush rather than bag the kitty gifts. I love this man but he also drives me insane at times
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2875 on: December 04, 2013, 02:04:22 PM »
I'm going out on a limb here and hazard to guess that you use clumping litter.

In case anyone else thinks this is a good idea, I can tell you that, as a professional in the field, one should never, ever flush any type of cat litter down the drain.  The grit scours the pipes.  It settles in low areas and reduces the capacity of the pipe.  The treatment plant cannot digest inorganic solids.

Also, do not put cat feces/litter in your compost pile if you use the compost in your vegetable garden.  Take my word for it  ;)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2876 on: December 04, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »

In case anyone else thinks this is a good idea, I can tell you that, as a professional in the field, one should never, ever flush any type of cat litter down the drain.  The grit scours the pipes.  It settles in low areas and reduces the capacity of the pipe.  The treatment plant cannot digest inorganic solids.

Also, do not put cat feces/litter in your compost pile if you use the compost in your vegetable garden.  Take my word for it  ;)

Oh good, someone I can ask about this... what about animal fat?  M had this idea that because emptying the roaster of the cooking liquids is a $&#^# to do any sane way given our home, that flushing it would work.  I talked her down... but would it do any serious harm?  I have to admit, it would make it easier, but I have my doubts.  :)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2877 on: December 04, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »

Oh good, someone I can ask about this... what about animal fat?  M had this idea that because emptying the roaster of the cooking liquids is a $&#^# to do any sane way given our home, that flushing it would work.  I talked her down... but would it do any serious harm?  I have to admit, it would make it easier, but I have my doubts.  :)
I'll give you some general guidance based on the two most common scenarios.  Then other people reading might find it helpful.  If you need more explanation, please PM me.  This is one of my pet peeves because the solution is public awareness and the benefit is to everyone.

Scenario 1 - Your house is connected to a sewer collection system which conveys the sewage to a central treatment plant.  FOG is the industry abbreviation for Fats, Oils, & Grease.  FOG sticks to the pipe walls, reducing the capacity of the pipe to carry sewage and giving other debris something to stick to.  Eventually the FOG builds up into "grease-crete" which is a hard as concrete and can block the pipe, causing raw sewage to flow into basements, streets, and streams/lakes/oceans.  This is bad for the environment and exposes the public to disease.

Scenario 1 - Your house has a septic tank and leach field or some other type of individual wastewater treatment system.  At least in this situation you only wreck your own stuff by pouring FOG down the drain.  It will form a solid layer on top of the septic tank sedimentation tank.  It will clog up the leach field.  You will pay $$$$ to have it drained & cleaned.

Never ever pour any kind of FOG down your drain.  Using cold water and the garbage disposal does not "chop it up finely" and using hot water helps the grease travel farther down the pipe before it cools down and solidifies.

What should you do with animal fats, bacon grease, and used fryer oil?  I reuse bacon fat: Cool it slightly, pour into a glass jam jar, and put in the frig for later use in lieu of butter when cooking meat or gravy/sauce.  Otherwise use old newspapers.  Put a section (at least 5 pages) down flat.  Tear another section into strips about an inch wide.  Pour the fat over the paper so it is absorbed, then toss in the garbage.  In my community, garbage is sent to a waste-to-energy facility so my used oil & old newspapers generate electricity.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2878 on: December 04, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »
Wasn't there an article about a gigantic blob of fat found in London's sewers not that long ago?

I let any fat harden and then wrap it up in newspaper and toss it in my green bin, the contents of which go to an industrial composting facility.  They allow this, as well as bones, meat and dairy that can't go in your backyard composter.  The industrial composter operates at a higher heat and it will break down these items.

Liquid fats, though, I do dump down the drain.  Didn't realize there was an issue with them solidifying, too.  So I can try the newspaper trick and put them in the green bin, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2879 on: December 04, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »
If you have had the garden rake out and you just set it in the shed temporarily rather than hanging it where it belongs, don't place it with the tines facing outwards.

I did.  Stepped on the tines, got the handle right between the eyes.  I had a goose egg on my forehead for a week!

I thought that only happened in cartoons!

I know someone who slipped on a banana peel!