Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 497551 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #2880 on: December 04, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »
I'm going out on a limb here and hazard to guess that you use clumping litter.

In case anyone else thinks this is a good idea, I can tell you that, as a professional in the field, one should never, ever flush any type of cat litter down the drain.  The grit scours the pipes.  It settles in low areas and reduces the capacity of the pipe.  The treatment plant cannot digest inorganic solids.

Also, do not put cat feces/litter in your compost pile if you use the compost in your vegetable garden.  Take my word for it  ;)

Oh good, someone I can ask about this... what about animal fat?  M had this idea that because emptying the roaster of the cooking liquids is a $&#^# to do any sane way given our home, that flushing it would work.  I talked her down... but would it do any serious harm?  I have to admit, it would make it easier, but I have my doubts.  :)

If it isn't bacon fat I pour it on top of the dog food.  Happy dog.  No mess.  It doesn't happen that often and she's a big dog. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2881 on: December 04, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
I let any fat harden and then wrap it up in newspaper and toss it in my green bin, the contents of which go to an industrial composting facility.  They allow this, as well as bones, meat and dairy that can't go in your backyard composter.  The industrial composter operates at a higher heat and it will break down these items.
Your are completely correct that animal products should not go in your backyard compost pile.  I'm pleasantly surprised by how much some people understand.

I was shocked and appalled when I listened to a talk radio show at our local university where they interviewed the campus composting "expert."  Someone called in and asked what he thought about using human manure in the backyard compost pile.  He said he had some concerns about trace pharmaceuticals, but if you are healthy and not taking any heavy duty meds, it would be fine to compost your own personal manure. :o :P

No, it is not.  It is most emphatically not a good idea to put human manure in your compost pile and not because the trace chemicals from drugs you are taking might damage the plants grown with the compost.  "Trace" means the concentration is very, very low.  On the other hand, the concentration of fecal coliform, enteric viruses, e. coli, etc. in raw human manure is very, very high and the chances of getting really sick by growing vegetables in compost made with (most likely incompletely digested) human manure are very, very high.  Especially carrots which are grown in contact with the soil/compost and are frequently eaten raw.

Uh .. yeah, don't do that ...
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2882 on: December 04, 2013, 04:03:26 PM »
If it isn't bacon fat I pour it on top of the dog food.  Happy dog.  No mess.  It doesn't happen that often and she's a big dog.
With the beneficial side effect of a glossy coat. :D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2883 on: December 04, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »

In case anyone else thinks this is a good idea, I can tell you that, as a professional in the field, one should never, ever flush any type of cat litter down the drain.  The grit scours the pipes.  It settles in low areas and reduces the capacity of the pipe.  The treatment plant cannot digest inorganic solids.

Also, do not put cat feces/litter in your compost pile if you use the compost in your vegetable garden.  Take my word for it  ;)

Oh good, someone I can ask about this... what about animal fat?  M had this idea that because emptying the roaster of the cooking liquids is a $&#^# to do any sane way given our home, that flushing it would work.  I talked her down... but would it do any serious harm?  I have to admit, it would make it easier, but I have my doubts.  :)
I'll give you some general guidance based on the two most common scenarios.  Then other people reading might find it helpful.  If you need more explanation, please PM me.  This is one of my pet peeves because the solution is public awareness and the benefit is to everyone.

Scenario 1 - Your house is connected to a sewer collection system which conveys the sewage to a central treatment plant.  FOG is the industry abbreviation for Fats, Oils, & Grease.  FOG sticks to the pipe walls, reducing the capacity of the pipe to carry sewage and giving other debris something to stick to.  Eventually the FOG builds up into "grease-crete" which is a hard as concrete and can block the pipe, causing raw sewage to flow into basements, streets, and streams/lakes/oceans.  This is bad for the environment and exposes the public to disease.

Scenario 1 - Your house has a septic tank and leach field or some other type of individual wastewater treatment system.  At least in this situation you only wreck your own stuff by pouring FOG down the drain.  It will form a solid layer on top of the septic tank sedimentation tank.  It will clog up the leach field.  You will pay $$$$ to have it drained & cleaned.

Never ever pour any kind of FOG down your drain.  Using cold water and the garbage disposal does not "chop it up finely" and using hot water helps the grease travel farther down the pipe before it cools down and solidifies.

What should you do with animal fats, bacon grease, and used fryer oil?  I reuse bacon fat: Cool it slightly, pour into a glass jam jar, and put in the frig for later use in lieu of butter when cooking meat or gravy/sauce.  Otherwise use old newspapers.  Put a section (at least 5 pages) down flat.  Tear another section into strips about an inch wide.  Pour the fat over the paper so it is absorbed, then toss in the garbage.  In my community, garbage is sent to a waste-to-energy facility so my used oil & old newspapers generate electricity.

My Mom used to save old jars and plastic containers to hold it (obviously, let the FOG cool before putting it in plastic) and then chuck that in the trash. Just FYI for those (like me) who don't have newspapers around anymore. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2884 on: December 04, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »

I'll give you some general guidance based on the two most common scenarios.  Then other people reading might find it helpful.  If you need more explanation, please PM me.  This is one of my pet peeves because the solution is public awareness and the benefit is to everyone.

Scenario 1 - Your house is connected to a sewer collection system which conveys the sewage to a central treatment plant.  FOG is the industry abbreviation for Fats, Oils, & Grease.  FOG sticks to the pipe walls, reducing the capacity of the pipe to carry sewage and giving other debris something to stick to.  Eventually the FOG builds up into "grease-crete" which is a hard as concrete and can block the pipe, causing raw sewage to flow into basements, streets, and streams/lakes/oceans.  This is bad for the environment and exposes the public to disease.

Scenario 1 - Your house has a septic tank and leach field or some other type of individual wastewater treatment system.  At least in this situation you only wreck your own stuff by pouring FOG down the drain.  It will form a solid layer on top of the septic tank sedimentation tank.  It will clog up the leach field.  You will pay $$$$ to have it drained & cleaned.

Never ever pour any kind of FOG down your drain.  Using cold water and the garbage disposal does not "chop it up finely" and using hot water helps the grease travel farther down the pipe before it cools down and solidifies.

What should you do with animal fats, bacon grease, and used fryer oil?  I reuse bacon fat: Cool it slightly, pour into a glass jam jar, and put in the frig for later use in lieu of butter when cooking meat or gravy/sauce.  Otherwise use old newspapers.  Put a section (at least 5 pages) down flat.  Tear another section into strips about an inch wide.  Pour the fat over the paper so it is absorbed, then toss in the garbage.  In my community, garbage is sent to a waste-to-energy facility so my used oil & old newspapers generate electricity.

First off... noos pay purrs?

Secondly... so what would happen is exactly what I thought would happen.  Yay!  Thanks for vindicating me, and to restate, I didn't allow so much as one drop to go down the drains (except, of course, what washed off of the plates.  Some things, you just can't help.)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2885 on: December 04, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »

First off... noos pay purrs?

Secondly... so what would happen is exactly what I thought would happen.  Yay!  Thanks for vindicating me, and to restate, I didn't allow so much as one drop to go down the drains (except, of course, what washed off of the plates.  Some things, you just can't help.)
The only time in 40 years that I had a sink clog was one in military housing.  The kitchens in neighboring units were back-to-back, and the sink drains connected to a Y pipe.  Neighbor poured grease down the drain and it clogged below the joint.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2886 on: December 04, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »
You folks crack me up.  ;D

Use waste paper - not tissue paper or toilet paper or photo paper or any hard, nonabsorbent paper.  Maybe raid the recycling bin for noos pay purrs.  Pouring into containers with lids and putting them in the garbage is also fine.

Marcus Aurelius

cwm

« Reply #2887 on: December 04, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »
You folks crack me up.  ;D

Use waste paper - not tissue paper or toilet paper or photo paper or any hard, nonabsorbent paper.  Maybe raid the recycling bin for noos pay purrs.  Pouring into containers with lids and putting them in the garbage is also fine.

What about waiting for it to harden and tossing the resulting grease-cake straight into the trash? BF doesn't save containers, won't waste glass by throwing it away (it can be recycled, and he has monthly runs to the ripple glass place), and doesn't get newspapers. I have managed to convince him to stop pouring it down the drain. He's been doing it for five years and wonders why his pipes run slowly. I resist the urge to beat him upside the head.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2888 on: December 04, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »
You want to talk nasty?  Mom used to use baby oil in the bath, every night.  EVERY NIGHT.  And then wondered why the drains were always $#&*.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2889 on: December 04, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
What about waiting for it to harden and tossing the resulting grease-cake straight into the trash? BF doesn't save containers, won't waste glass by throwing it away (it can be recycled, and he has monthly runs to the ripple glass place), and doesn't get newspapers. I have managed to convince him to stop pouring it down the drain. He's been doing it for five years and wonders why his pipes run slowly. I resist the urge to beat him upside the head.
That's fine too if it is the kind of fat that is solid at room temperature.  I commend your BF on his environmental commitment by reusing glass, etc.  Now if you can convince him that pouring grease down the drain is going to cost him money (to have the drains snaked) and is bad for the environment, he'll be a Gold Star Greenie.

Ask him where the stuff that goes down the drain ends up.  If he says, "In my leach field," you can tell him how the grease will clog up the holes in the distribution pipe and he will have to pay a lot to have those cleaned out.  If he says, "To the treatment plant," you can tell him that not all the FOG is removed by the treatment plant and a lovely, multicolored slick might form in the receiving water over the outfall pipe.

Marcus Aurelius

cwm

« Reply #2890 on: December 04, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »
That's fine too if it is the kind of fat that is solid at room temperature.  I commend your BF on his environmental commitment by reusing glass, etc.  Now if you can convince him that pouring grease down the drain is going to cost him money (to have the drains snaked) and is bad for the environment, he'll be a Gold Star Greenie.

Ask him where the stuff that goes down the drain ends up.  If he says, "In my leach field," you can tell him how the grease will clog up the holes in the distribution pipe and he will have to pay a lot to have those cleaned out.  If he says, "To the treatment plant," you can tell him that not all the FOG is removed by the treatment plant and a lovely, multicolored slick might form in the receiving water over the outfall pipe.

When I asked him, he just said "Down the drain." He's got a good heart, but is a bit oblivious at times.

emwithme

« Reply #2891 on: December 04, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
Wasn't there an article about a gigantic blob of fat found in London's sewers not that long ago?

Yes!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2892 on: December 04, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »
Wasn't there an article about a gigantic blob of fat found in London's sewers not that long ago?

Yes!
Oh my! 15 tons!  :o  It must be in a sewer tunnel or the pipe would be blocked already.

Marcus Aurelius

magicdomino

« Reply #2893 on: December 05, 2013, 02:19:11 PM »
According to the Washington Post, retailers aren't the only ones who are "all hands on deck" for Black Friday.  Plumbers spend the day unclogging drains from a feast's worth of oil, butter and turkey fat that was poured down the drain. 

http://tinyurl.com/lhextw3

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2894 on: December 05, 2013, 03:24:12 PM »
When unwrapping a Hershey's Kiss to eat it, don't put the paper and foil in your mouth and the kiss in the garbage.  ::)