Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 481110 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3045 on: January 30, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »
I'm not several hours but I'm usually at least 2 or 3 before I'm relatively back to normal.

My strategy is to book my appointments at the end of the day, in the winter, so that when I'm leaving to go home, it's dark.  Plus, I'm only driving about 5 minutes from my optometrist to my house.

Even in the dark I think I'd have been stuffed - I couldn't focus on anything more than a few car lengths away, and I was getting lens flares. :(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

CuriousParty

« Reply #3046 on: January 30, 2014, 11:10:12 PM »
Did he put the other drops in? The ones that counteract the dilation? Because they have those.  I'm several hours of recovery without them, about 1 with.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3047 on: January 31, 2014, 12:00:12 AM »
Did he put the other drops in? The ones that counteract the dilation? Because they have those.  I'm several hours of recovery without them, about 1 with.

...Noooo. I've never run into those, actually. I'll ask about them next time, thanks. :)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3048 on: January 31, 2014, 03:04:58 AM »
Ooh, I have vivid memories of having my eyes dilated (my dad's an ophthalmologist, so eye checkups were always after hours or weekends with just us in the office) and then having dad ask me to run real quick out to the car to grab something.  On a sunny January day with several inches of snow on the ground.

I'm pretty sure the glare off the snow would have hurt my eyes even if I had been wearing sunglasses and NOT dilated, but I clearly remember how much the brightness hurt even with my eyes closed!

magicdomino

« Reply #3049 on: January 31, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
I'm not several hours but I'm usually at least 2 or 3 before I'm relatively back to normal.

My strategy is to book my appointments at the end of the day, in the winter, so that when I'm leaving to go home, it's dark.  Plus, I'm only driving about 5 minutes from my optometrist to my house.

Mine is to go the the optometrist in my office building. 

asb8

« Reply #3050 on: February 01, 2014, 10:27:24 PM »
Do not buy a pretty blue shirt and decide to wear it out, because obviously this means you will be wearing it without a preliminary wash. And then you will sweat and end up with bright blue armpits.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3051 on: February 13, 2014, 11:02:55 PM »
I took my shower, jumped out, and grabbed my bottle of body lotion.  I wondered why it was so thick and not soaking in well.  It was body wash  ::).

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3052 on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:14 AM »
Making a cake, and having the nice stand mixer on any speed higher than low. Do not add dry ingredients at a higher speed unless you want to wear them and clean them up for weeks!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3053 on: February 14, 2014, 12:38:26 PM »
If you are planning a big pancake breakfast (or waffles) - get fresh baking soda or baking powder - so they are FLUFFY instead of flat hockey pucks with butter & syrup. 

Triple check the list of ingredients and supplies against the pantry...'tis a far, far better thing to go shopping before breakfast than during breakfast.....

There is another one tomorrow morning and I'm supposed to be typing the recipe up for the person doing the cooking and getting a shopping list ready....but I got a whiff of Etiquette Hell....and wandered in.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3054 on: February 14, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
If you are planning a big pancake breakfast (or waffles) - get fresh baking soda or baking powder - so they are FLUFFY instead of flat hockey pucks with butter & syrup. 

Triple check the list of ingredients and supplies against the pantry...'tis a far, far better thing to go shopping before breakfast than during breakfast.....

There is another one tomorrow morning and I'm supposed to be typing the recipe up for the person doing the cooking and getting a shopping list ready....but I got a whiff of Etiquette Hell....and wandered in.

Our church youth group used to do pancake breakfasts every year.  One mom always volunteered to do the actual pancakes.  And every single one, she'd flip the pancake over and then squash it flat with the spatula.  Which effectively pushed all the air out, making them rubbery messes.

Finally my dad convinced her to let us teens actually try cooking, and taught us how to flip pancakes so they would be fluffy instead of rubbery.  Attendance at the pancake breakfast doubled the next year  ;D

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #3055 on: February 14, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »

Our church youth group used to do pancake breakfasts every year.  One mom always volunteered to do the actual pancakes.  And every single one, she'd flip the pancake over and then squash it flat with the spatula.  Which effectively pushed all the air out, making them rubbery messes.

Finally my dad convinced her to let us teens actually try cooking, and taught us how to flip pancakes so they would be fluffy instead of rubbery.  Attendance at the pancake breakfast doubled the next year  ;D

.....Ohhhhhhh...... -lightbulb-

No *wonder* my roommate's pancakes always tasted a little off! She made us pancakes a few times (I've never tried) but every time she made shape ones, they came out weird and we couldn't figure why. She wasn't messing with the regular ones, but she tried to squish the shaped ones together.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

otterwoman

« Reply #3056 on: February 14, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »

Baking soda lasts forever, baking powder goes bad within a year or so.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3057 on: February 14, 2014, 11:11:27 PM »
Fresh baking powder won't have absorbed flavors from the pantry....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3058 on: February 15, 2014, 12:10:21 PM »
If you wake up enough to register that there is a funny noise coming from the bathroom, and that the cats are staring intently at something on the wall, it's not a good idea to go back to sleep.  It will never turn out to be good news.

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #3059 on: February 15, 2014, 02:02:36 PM »
If you wake up enough to register that there is a funny noise coming from the bathroom, and that the cats are staring intently at something on the wall, it's not a good idea to go back to sleep.  It will never turn out to be good news.

Well, you can't stop there!!!!