Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 529975 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3060 on: February 15, 2014, 03:34:39 PM »
Do not buy a pretty blue shirt and decide to wear it out, because obviously this means you will be wearing it without a preliminary wash. And then you will sweat and end up with bright blue armpits.
The first time we went on Thunderriver at Astroworld - my sister ended up with died blue feet from her sneakers old ones bleeding dye onto her feet. Took weeks for it to come off. After that we always took plastic bags jump in, buckled in and took our shoes and socks off  putting them into the bag. THen we would put them back on at the end of the ride.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #3061 on: February 15, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »
Note to Self - post tattoo skin care cream is not toothpaste.  Nor does it taste the same...

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #3062 on: February 15, 2014, 05:47:21 PM »
If you wake up enough to register that there is a funny noise coming from the bathroom, and that the cats are staring intently at something on the wall, it's not a good idea to go back to sleep.  It will never turn out to be good news.

Well, you can't stop there!!!!

Okay, my interest has officially been piqued!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3063 on: February 16, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »
If you wake up enough to register that there is a funny noise coming from the bathroom, and that the cats are staring intently at something on the wall, it's not a good idea to go back to sleep.  It will never turn out to be good news.

She is too genre savvy to have gone back to sleep or to have gone exploring. Like a smart giraffe, she turned on her bedroom light, put on some cheerful music and read. Therefore, she is safe and alive.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3064 on: February 16, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »

She is too genre savvy to have gone back to sleep or to have gone exploring. Like a smart giraffe, she turned on her bedroom light, put on some cheerful music and read. Therefore, she is safe and alive.

It was water flowing down the wall from the upstairs apartment.  It's happened before, and seems to be a leaky pipe.  Instead of the big project of replacing the pipe, maintenance will patch it again and again.  At least the frequency is dropping. 

*sigh* Time to speak up, again.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3065 on: February 16, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »

It was water flowing down the wall from the upstairs apartment.  It's happened before, and seems to be a leaky pipe.  Instead of the big project of replacing the pipe, maintenance will patch it again and again.  At least the frequency is dropping. 

Would management rather pay for pipe repair, or pipe repair AND ceiling/wall repair AND (possibly) your medical bills AND replacement for any of your stuff that got ruined when the ceiling collapsed?   

I don't know the legality of that, but it seems to me that if their negligence causes injury/damage to you and/or your possessions, they would be liable.  Can't hurt to pitch it to them like that.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3066 on: February 23, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
At a writers' conference this weekend.  We ended up with a huge (42 women) turnout, about a dozen of whom I didn't know.  The first night I was chatting with the woman next to me, and conversation of course started with the inevitable "so what do you write?"

Me: I'm subbing a steampunk romance now, but I'm working on a contemporary for a chance of pace.

Her: Ooh, steampunk!  I'm pretty sure that's the only subgenre I haven't done yet.  Seems like I've at least touched on everything else, over the years.

Me: Oh, wow, so you've been doing this a while!  Have you had any success publishing?

Her [very kindly]: Actually, I'm your guest speaker for the weekend . . .

Me:  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

So yeah, don't assume everyone else in the room is as hopeless at getting published as you are  :P

(It's an organization that accepts writers at all different stages of the journey - just starting, submitting, self-published, e-published, traditionally published, 25 years on the NYT best-sellers list, etc.  Usually if someone has been writing for ages it either means they've got a solid career going, they're terrible, or they're not very confident in their work and don't feel ready to "put it out there."  Totally my fault for guessing one of the latter instead of the former.)

ETA: From her bio online:

[This author] is the bestselling author of more than 40 books. In 2012, she was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall Of Fame, and she has won seven RITA awards. Her books have been published in more than a dozen countries [. . .]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:40:40 PM by Slartibartfast »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3067 on: February 24, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
Don't feel bad, Slartibartfast.  I've done something similar.

There was a researcher in the library who was working on a rather particular topic.  I happened to have read that a local synagogue was having a presentation on just that topic and suggested he might want to attend. 

He was the featured speaker. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3068 on: February 24, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

There was a researcher in the library who was working on a rather particular topic.  I happened to have read that a local synagogue was having a presentation on just that topic and suggested he might want to attend. 

Okay, this made me laugh - and it does make me feel better, actually  :P

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3069 on: February 24, 2014, 12:22:26 PM »
If you have a special popping bowl to make microwave popcorn, be sure to put the lid on it.  Otherwise the popcorn will go all over, with the popped pieces scattering still-whole kernels all over.  Only about half of it will pop, because the rest are in the corners of the oven, and don't get the concentrated microwaves that they should.  :(
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #3070 on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »

I can imagine the speaker being quite flattered that people were recommending the presentation. 

lilfox

« Reply #3071 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »

Ahh, you reminded me. Back when I had an upstairs apartment, every six months or so my downstairs neighbor would come knocking, then bring me down to show how his bathroom ceiling was leaking all over the place. Since it only happened a few times a year, it took me a while to figure out that it was because I had used Drano to clean out the slow draining pipes. Apparently it also dissolved whatever patches the maintenance guys were using, rather than replacing the leaky pipes (don't do that!).

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3072 on: March 07, 2014, 08:21:30 PM »
Our living room has a speaker cord tunning across it.
We have a safety cover covering it so no one hurts themselves.

Today I managed to twist my ankle by tripping over the plastic cover.
You know, the protective Safety cover.
To keep people from tripping over the wires.

D'oh! :P

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3073 on: March 08, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »
If you have long hair, don't wear it loose while driving.  If you do, don't sneeze.  Sneezing will make you lean forward, and then when you lean back again your hair will get yanked into the seatbelt holder and get stuck there.  And then you'll be stuck in stop-and-go traffic with your head locked against the back of your seat by a section of your scalp and you won't be able to get the seatbelt to disengage until traffic starts moving again and you can take your foot off the brake.

Also, it hurts.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3074 on: March 09, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
If you have long hair, don't wear it loose while driving.  If you do, don't sneeze.  Sneezing will make you lean forward, and then when you lean back again your hair will get yanked into the seatbelt holder and get stuck there.  And then you'll be stuck in stop-and-go traffic with your head locked against the back of your seat by a section of your scalp and you won't be able to get the seatbelt to disengage until traffic starts moving again and you can take your foot off the brake.

Also, it hurts.

When I take my seat belt off, I do this. I can't count the times that I have had to pull the seat belt back out after I take it off to get my hair back.