Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 529400 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3090 on: March 18, 2014, 07:12:14 PM »
Don't put a big hunk of meat down the garbage disposal and expect it to disappear. It won't. Both sides of my double sink are completely clogged now.  :(

Don't do it with potato peels either.  Found this out the hard way in our first apartment.
Uncooked rice - wasn't me. Saw Dad pouring it out and asked him what he was doing as he turned on the water and disaster struck.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3091 on: March 18, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »
Don't put a big hunk of meat down the garbage disposal and expect it to disappear. It won't. Both sides of my double sink are completely clogged now.  :(

Don't do it with potato peels either.  Found this out the hard way in our first apartment.
Uncooked rice - wasn't me. Saw Dad pouring it out and asked him what he was doing as he turned on the water and disaster struck.

That's why we have that little strainer cap thingie to put over the drain before we turn the thing on!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3092 on: March 18, 2014, 08:51:23 PM »

That's why we have that little strainer cap thingie to put over the drain before we turn the thing on!
Oh the problem wasn't it spitting the rice out. The water hit the uncooked rice and it expanded and clogged up the disposal and whole drain. Dad was a good DYI person, but he had to call in a plumber to get the drain working again.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3093 on: March 18, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »

Oh the problem wasn't it spitting the rice out. The water hit the uncooked rice and it expanded and clogged up the disposal and whole drain. Dad was a good DYI person, but he had to call in a plumber to get the drain working again.

That's amazing! I never would have thought of that because rice takes at least 5 minutes to fluff up.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #3094 on: March 19, 2014, 12:01:20 AM »

That's amazing! I never would have thought of that because rice takes at least 5 minutes to fluff up.

But grinding it up increases the surface area for the water to have contact with. 

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #3095 on: March 19, 2014, 12:37:55 AM »
Don't lay on the floor for five hours doing a jigsaw puzzle, simply because you'd not finished it the last time and you were really hitting your stride this time around.

I am a mass of ow, and you'd think I would have remembered the same thing happened last time I did a puzzle...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #3096 on: March 22, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »
When you tell the moms in your scout troop that the deposit for camp is $x, do not assume they all know it's per person, and if mom/dad is coming to chaperone, it's $2x.

I caught it after I got the first check a few days ago (mailed to me), so I sent out an email explaining the deposit is per person. This morning I got what I hoped was the last payment so I could turn in the money, only to see the check written out for $x. This mom is one of our chaperones.

Sigh.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3097 on: March 22, 2014, 11:22:49 AM »
When you tell the moms in your scout troop that the deposit for camp is $x, do not assume they all know it's per person, and if mom/dad is coming to chaperone, it's $2x.

I caught it after I got the first check a few days ago (mailed to me), so I sent out an email explaining the deposit is per person. This morning I got what I hoped was the last payment so I could turn in the money, only to see the check written out for $x. This mom is one of our chaperones.

Sigh.

Hmm ... I can see where there might be some very legitimate confusion about that.  Our troops did allow the chaperones to go "free".  It was kind of like 'payment' for their time and services.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #3098 on: March 22, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »

Sigh.

Hmm ... I can see where there might be some very legitimate confusion about that.  Our troops did allow the chaperones to go "free".  It was kind of like 'payment' for their time and services.

Exactly. Never assume. We all know why. :-[
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

daen

« Reply #3099 on: March 22, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »

Sigh.

Exactly. Never assume. We all know why. :-[

I believe this belongs here.
http://xkcd.com/1339/

<runs away>

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3100 on: March 24, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
Same with my unit, we allow the leaders and parents that are registered as members of the troop to camp for free, and they only pay for food if the adults are eating separately. The cost for them is built into the cost per youth.

I opened my SUV's door yesterday and heard something hit the pavement, looked and couldn't see anything. I stepped out and heard a crunch. Looked to see my Bluetooth earpiece in three pieces. At least I have the one that was a bonus when I got my new phone.  ::)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #3101 on: March 24, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
Don't buy a loaf of bread at work to go with soup and then forget about it for 2 weeks.  I did.

It went mouldy.  And then beyond mouldy.  The mould actually liquidified and turned bright green and the stench was revolting.  It was in two plastic bags, hence why I didn't smell it.

It went in the commercial dustbin.

Ugh I am never doing that again.
 :-X
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3102 on: March 24, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »
Don't buy a loaf of bread at work to go with soup and then forget about it for 2 weeks.  I did.

It went mouldy.  And then beyond mouldy.  The mould actually liquidified and turned bright green and the stench was revolting.  It was in two plastic bags, hence why I didn't smell it.

This is called a "science experiment" and you are awarded first place. Congratulations!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #3103 on: March 25, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »

This is called a "science experiment" and you are awarded first place. Congratulations!

It was pretty grim.  ;D 
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

lofty

• My blog and shops
« Reply #3104 on: March 25, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
So, glue from a hot glue gun is hot.

Burlap has holes in it.

I hear if you combine the two and then try to press the burlap together and hold it to let it set, your fingers will not like you at all and very colorful language will come out of your mouth.

Not that it happened to me, though.  ::)
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com