Author Topic: Nice Sports Parents  (Read 2013 times)

extranormal

Nice Sports Parents
« on: December 13, 2006, 05:45:48 PM »
We read so much about parents of young athletes yelling insults and attacking opposing coaches, I was apprehensive about enrolling my son in sports. Turns out I worried for nothing.

My son runs in a YMCA cross-country program that includes mostly kids from a few YMCA branches. Some private schools also send kids to compete. In several seasons of meets, I have never seen or heard anything nasty, inappropriate, or unsportsmanlike.

All the parents stand at the finish line and cheer for all the kids (especially the one who finishes last). The kids (ages 6 to 15 or so) high-five each other without regard to which YMCA or school they represent, and the coaches seem to treat one another with respect. The kids are gracious about thanking whichever parents bring snacks that week.

We've had so much fun with this, and it really has restored my faith in sports parents.  Now if only we could find a way to do this that didn't involve standing in the cold rain while it gets dark at 4:30 in the afternoon, we'd really be onto something. But I quibble.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Nice Sports Parents
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 07:00:57 AM »
Now if only we could find a way to do this that didn't involve standing in the cold rain while it gets dark at 4:30 in the afternoon, we'd really be onto something.

Well, now you just want everything perfect, don't you? ;D

(but seriously, it sounds like a wonderful program! :))
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.