Etiquette School is in session! > "Have you tried the bean dip?"

It actually worked this time

(1/2) > >>

LB:
But apparently, I offended someone in the process.

DH and I were out to dinner with my family. My cousin announced that she and her DH have decided they're ready to start trying for a baby. Lots of smiles, nods, good luck wishes around the table. Cousin then turns to me and DH and says "I think you two should start trying now too. Then our kids can be best friends."

I kind of smiled made a kind of amused "Hmm" noise. Then I said to DH "Oh, look, they have salmon! I know what I'm getting tonight."

My cousin may have been just joking. But I have reason to believe she had other motives for her comment. My husband and I are on the same page right now that it is not the time for us to have kids. I wanted to move past the conversation as quickly as possible because DH has been getting a lot of pressure from people he works with about having kids, and he's not happy about it.

Well, I guess my aunt later told my mom that she was offended by my reaction. Apparently, she thinks I was scoffing at the idea that mine and my cousins kids could ever be friends.  ::)

Mom suggested I call my aunt. I refused. I told her that Aunt has not said anything directly to me, and if she does I will be happy to clear up the misunderstanding.

Your opinions? Am I right not to call her?

ShadesOfGrey:
I think you are 100% correct in your actions and your reasoning.

magiccat26:
I think you are correct to stay out of family "rumors" and "hearsay".  If your Aunt is offended than she needs to speak with you directly.

I, personally, would just leave it alone.

Good Luck!  Once people get an idea in their head (especially about what you SHOULD be doing  ::)), they rarely let up.  

Harriet Jones:

--- Quote from: Kalila on November 19, 2008, 01:37:28 PM ---Well, I guess my aunt later told my mom that she was offended by my reaction. Apparently, she thinks I was scoffing at the idea that mine and my cousins kids could ever be friends.  ::)

Mom suggested I call my aunt. I refused. I told her that Aunt has not said anything directly to me, and if she does I will be happy to clear up the misunderstanding.

Your opinions? Am I right not to call her?

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't call her.   If she wants an explanation or an apology, she can talk to you directly.  

JoieGirl7:

--- Quote from: Kalila on November 19, 2008, 01:37:28 PM ---Apparently, she thinks I was scoffing at the idea that mine and my cousins kids could ever be friends.  ::)

--- End quote ---

Wow!  How insulting!  Does your aunt really think that you would think something like that (it's not something I think would even occur to most people) or is she generally clueless?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version