Author Topic: Church potluck  (Read 6918 times)

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Church potluck
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »
We usually have a potluck at church around this time of year.  Sometimes there is a sign up sheet, sometimes not.  This time there wasn't.  Other useful info is that my sisters and I oversee the kitchen and do what needs done or dole out things that need to be done.  Since I have been doing this typically people bring things done, that need to finish off in a crockpot, need to stay warn in an oven or even things which they need to assemble once they are there (the person who brings it puts it together).  All we do is put stuff on the table, put spoons in it or pull it off when it is empty.

This time a lady brought a raw pizza and demanded that my sister cook it for her.  Not asked, not asked where she could do it, but demanded that sis do it for her.  The line came in very handy and the lady chose not to cook the pizza.  We were just stunned.  Honestly if she would have asked nicely we probably would have done it or answered by nicely suggesting she do it herself.

crazedartist

Re: Church potluck
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »
I'd be curious to hear the tone of the demand. Was it a brusque "Here's the pizza, put it in the oven for X minutes" or something even more entitled?

I wonder if this lady was just misinformed along the lines of "Yeah, there are people in the kitchen, they'll take care of it."

Either way, whether she's assuming you're employees or volunteers, an outright demand is not cool.

At the same time though, I mean... there's an oven, right? It's food brought for the group? Why not just politely explain how it usually works and then cook it (or let her cook it?)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:21:52 PM »
I need a little more information here...did your sis say "I'm afraid that won't be possible" in a manner indicating that the pizza could not be cooked at all
or
was it more of an I am not here to serve you tone

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:05:18 PM »
This was in the tome of a lady at a high end store throwing things across the counter and demanding they be rung up. Hmm, I don't know about the answer, after picking our jaws up it was an "I'm afraid that won't be possible." in response to the demand although it could have sounded like not at all.  We were just so shocked, but we will be better prepared for next time.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 04:11:17 PM »
I understand your shock, but does she understand how to handle this in the future? 

That if she chooses bake your own pizza she will need to either arrive early to bake it at the church or bake it at home.

BeccaGlitter

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »
she should not be invited to the pot luck next time and cooked the pizza herself!

look in the tunk

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 10:59:02 AM »
This happened to my mom once at a church potluck.

Usually the potlucks are held after church, and if anyone has brought a special dish, they go in a few minutes early to get it ready.

My mom went in there to do whatever she needed to, and someone already in there, no joke said "Oh, pick up that spoon and stir those potatoes." Or whatever. I think they assumed she came in there to "help" and was looking for something to do, which she wasn't.

She just walked off.

But yea, I have like a hundred stories about church potlucks, lol.

Shipoopi

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 09:55:17 PM »
Potlucks can be a wonderful opportunity for fellowship, or a disaster waiting to happen.

However, I do think that the general consensus is that you put your time and love into preparing a dish at home and bring it to the buffet. I'm not familiar with potlucks where people bring unfinished dishes and expect volunteers to complete them; to me it kind of defeats the purpose.

look in the tunk

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 11:31:20 AM »
Potlucks can be a wonderful opportunity for fellowship, or a disaster waiting to happen.

However, I do think that the general consensus is that you put your time and love into preparing a dish at home and bring it to the buffet. I'm not familiar with potlucks where people bring unfinished dishes and expect volunteers to complete them; to me it kind of defeats the purpose.

Pod. The exception would be like if you needed to reheat something, or something that absolutely couldn't be done until before serving. But even then, expecting a random person to do it for you is wrong.