Author Topic: What Holiday Song Annoys You?  (Read 20326 times)

G'sMom

What Holiday Song Annoys You?
« on: November 30, 2008, 08:10:24 AM »
Not sure if this goes here or in Holidays,  mods please move if it's in the wrong spot.

So holiday music is in full swing now.  The very first holiday song I heard? The one that irritates me to no end. Every year I dread hearing this song, it grates and grates on me and inevitably ends up stuck in my head, no matter how quickly I change the station or leave the store:

I think it's by Paul McCartney, "Wonderful Christmas Time".  It just goes on repeating "siiimply..haaaving... awonderfulChristmastime...." 

The incessant repeating plus the spacing of the words and the rhythm drives me insane.

Most of enjoy holiday music, but which one annoys you?

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: What Holiday Song Annoys You?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »
I can only pick one?  :P

Then it would have to be "The Christmas Shoes".  The story it tells irritates the heck out of me, and I always find myself thinking "This seems like a scam of some sort" after it's over. 

After that, it's "Santa Baby" and "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas".  I'm annoyed by quite a few Christmas songs actually. 

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:49:25 AM »
Feliz Navidad.  If I could ban one Christmas song for all eternity, this would be it.

Now, having said that, it will probably be the main song on the Christmas muzak at work, with my luck.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 08:50:41 AM »
White Christmas.  I don't know why, but if I never hear this one again, it will be too soon.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 08:51:43 AM »
I'll second "simply having a wonderful christmastime". Hate it!
Most renditions of the Little Drummer Boy get on my nerves too, don't ask me why.
I hate the song they use in Sears ads- the "Baby it's not your sleigh ride" one.

But for some reason I really dislike a lot of contemporary christmas songs. Most of them just can't hold a candle to the classics. One major exception being Rita McNeil's "Now the bells ring". That one is awesome.

Emmy

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 08:54:42 AM »
The Chipmunk's Christmas song
The one that goes "I wanna Hippopotamus for Christmas".

Pretty much any song sung with high annoying voices.

demarco

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:01:54 AM »
The Twelve Days of Christmas.  It is so maddeningly repetitive.  (I do like some of the Twelve Days of Christmas parodies, though.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:05:30 AM by demarco »

dlws92

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:03:21 AM »
The Britney Spears version of "Santa Baby"

Makes me want to stick ice picks in my ears.

Calbrini

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:05:14 AM »
"Lonely pup in a Christmas shop". Whats a Christmas shop anyway??? And a dog is for life, not just for Christmas (which is probably a daft time to get a dog).

mbt

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »
The Christmas Song...I'd like to tell Nat what he could do with his chesnuts and that open fire... ::)

Verloona Ti

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 09:45:45 AM »
I have no idea what the name of this song is, and I haven't heard it in decades, but the memory haunts me.

When my dad worked at Radio Shack in the early 1980s, they had to play Christmas songs , one album, over and over, for weeks on end. One song was sung by children in the irritating lispy cutesy wootsey sing song voice that really grates. The lyrics went something like this:

Cwistmus is (something something something something)
Cwistmus is (something something something something)

Over and over and over again.

Radio Shack, 1983...That's the only time and place I've heard this atrocity of a song. I hope it stays that way.

Indigosails

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 10:03:38 AM »
I think it is the repetitiveness of the songs that drives me up the wall. I really hate the dogs barking Jingle Bells and the chipmunks squeaking anything causes me to run screaming.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 10:07:30 AM »
aaaahh!!  The chipmunks song.    That song makes my hair hurt.  My son, however loves it. 

Santa Baby sung by anybody but Earth Kitt.

Since the stores start playing them right after Thanksgiving, I'm pretty burned out on most of them by Christmas.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 10:13:41 AM »
Most renditions of the Little Drummer Boy get on my nerves too, don't ask me why.

Little Drummer Boy gets me too. Probably because one of my little brothers was obsessed with it when he was small. If I had ten pence for every Pa-rum-pum-pum-pum I sang to that boy to get him to sleep, I'd be retired and living in Aussie by now. ::)

Give me Jona Lewie's Stop the Cavalry any day.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:15:17 AM by WolfieSara »

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 10:37:48 AM »
Santa...OH, Santa - I think Wilson-Phillips sings it - makes my teeth itch, as does Baby It's Cold Outside, Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart, and most other pop/rock originals.

Our PTB decided we had to have Xmas music from Thanksgiving on, but it couldn't be actual carols because - horrors! - that might offend our customers. So we had about two dozen secular "Holiday Tunes" on an endless loop. By Christmas Eve I had confessed to everything, named names, and given up the secret codebook and everybody's aliases - anything to make. it. stop. :'(

This year they got rid of our in store music altogether over the summer, and all I could think was, "Thank God!! Silent nights for Christmas!"

P.S. I also hate Christmas Shoes with a passion, but being a country song, it wasn't included on the playlist of Winter Torture Tunes.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady