Author Topic: What Holiday Song Annoys You?  (Read 22946 times)

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
Re: What Holiday Song Annoys You?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 10:39:44 AM »
"My Favorite Things" in my mind is not.a.christmas.song!!!!  Just because it mentions brown paper packages tied up in string does not make it a christmas song!
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

NEDESAPIO

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 10:44:30 AM »
"My Favorite Things" in my mind is not.a.christmas.song!!!!  Just because it mentions brown paper packages tied up in string does not make it a christmas song!

Well, Christmas song or not, I can't stand it!

I also find "Deck the Halls" and "Jingle Bells" annoying.

I actually like that Beatles Christmas song ("Simply having wonderful Christmas time").  My mom, too:  she says it's the only Beatles song she's ever liked!

CarolinaEmerald

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 11:02:30 AM »
McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" is the most annoying Holiday song I ever heard.

Also on the annoying list are "Santa Baby" (I don't care who is doing it) and "8 Days of Christmas" by Destiny's Child.
Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
any song that is sung in a lispy cutsey style.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 11:12:13 AM »
Frosty the Snowman creeps me out.

My son hates Chipmunks Roasting on an Open Fire.  It's part of my Twisted Christmas Songs. 

lovinAZ

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »
Any holiday song I hear before Dec 20  ;D

LovesWater

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 11:22:50 AM »
Winter Torture Tunes.

My new phrase! I love it.

My top, number one hate is Little Drummer Boy. It's no secret or anything, my DH will move quickly to change the channel, get me out of the store, whatever (probably so he doesn't have to hear me rant).

You all have reminded me that I don't think much of Santa Baby either.

Fortunately, I have not heard most of the rest of the songs mentioned. Whew! Narrow escape!

I think I have to say I am with Amanita on this:

... Most of [the contemporary christmas songs] just can't hold a candle to the classics. ...

I will have to check out her recommendation: Rita McNeil's "Now the bells ring".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:34:19 AM by LovesWater »

mumma to KMC

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 11:25:23 AM »
"Do They Know its Christmas"  --- guilting people since 1985

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 11:30:16 AM »
"Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer"!! I loathe that song....

TylerBelle

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 11:46:06 AM »
Silver Bells. Ugh. Yeah, it's pretty, though when you didn't have any Christmas music yourself to select from and depended on the radio for your holiday tunes and that's the one the stations seemed to either prefer or the only one they had it becomes annoying in repetition.

Even now with my Christmas cds to play, I'll skip over the track. It's still a pretty tune, but I'm still burnt out on it. :P
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
Barbra Streisand's "Jingle Bells"! Ouch!

Salvage3

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
Absolutely every one when played before the day after Thanksgiving.  Last year I was in grocery store one day before Halloween and couldn't believe my ears --stopped and really listened, and, yes, it was a Christmas song.   Argh.

EddiesMom

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 12:46:34 PM »
I don't care for Christmas music at all.  Having said that, my most despised song is "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer". 

lilacbunny

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
I can only pick one?  :P

Then it would have to be "The Christmas Shoes".  The story it tells irritates the heck out of me, and I always find myself thinking "This seems like a scam of some sort" after it's over. 

After that, it's "Santa Baby" and "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas".  I'm annoyed by quite a few Christmas songs actually. 

I could not agree more on "The Christmas Shoes".  Although I kind of like "hippopotamus".   :P  (I usually only hear it a couple of times, though.)

And I'll add "I *insert bodily function here* on Santa's Lap".  I used to listen to a morning radio program where in December this was requested at least once a day.  Which is why I don't listen anymore.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »
Something about a mouse being outside in the cold and befriending a cat, and the cat keeps the mouse warm, then the cat freezes to death and Santa takes the cat up to Heaven.  The first time I actually listened to the lyrics I was like, "Whaaa.....???" and then  :'(.