Author Topic: What Holiday Song Annoys You?  (Read 20322 times)

mbt

Re: What Holiday Song Annoys You?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 01:22:11 PM »
I have to say Santa Baby is annoying too...although, I can tolerate the RuPaul version far better than the Eartha Kitt or Madonna version...

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
I can only pick one?  :P

Then it would have to be "The Christmas Shoes".  The story it tells irritates the heck out of me, and I always find myself thinking "This seems like a scam of some sort" after it's over. 

After that, it's "Santa Baby" and "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas".  I'm annoyed by quite a few Christmas songs actually. 

Add a PP's Paul Simon song to this and there's my list!  I turn the radio to another station when any of these come on.

silvercelt

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »
Not sure if this goes here or in Holidays,  mods please move if it's in the wrong spot.

So holiday music is in full swing now.  The very first holiday song I heard? The one that irritates me to no end. Every year I dread hearing this song, it grates and grates on me and inevitably ends up stuck in my head, no matter how quickly I change the station or leave the store:

I think it's by Paul McCartney, "Wonderful Christmas Time".  It just goes on repeating "siiimply..haaaving... awonderfulChristmastime...." 

The incessant repeating plus the spacing of the words and the rhythm drives me insane.

Most of enjoy holiday music, but which one annoys you?

This is the very first song that popped into my head when I read the title of this thread.  I can't stand this song!!

KimberlyRose

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2008, 03:18:21 PM »
This thread should have a warning in the header: "caution: contains earworms."

I think all my least favorite Christmas songs have been covered.  (OK, I haven't heard "Christmas Shoes," but I was unfortunate enough to have to sit through the bulk of the movie on which it's based, which is enough for me.)

G'sMom

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »
"Do They Know its Christmas"  --- guilting people since 1985

YES! way to guilt people, feel good holiday cheer music  :P

I will also chime in with the "Santa Baby" ones.  I actually like The George Michael "Last Christmas" - mainly because I am a diehard George Michael fan and with that voice...he can sing my grocery list to me if he wants!  :-*

And one I like until the tenth time I hear it, shockingly (because normally I can't stand her) is Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas (is You)".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:27:15 PM by G'sMom »

Shea

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »
I only really like the old religious carols. Which is amusing since I'm not in the least religious.

That said, I agree with PPs about the Paul McCartney song. And frankly I'm not a big fan of "Jingle Bells" no matter who sings it. But my primary hatred is directed towards "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree". I don't know why I hate it so much, but I'd rather poke out my eardrums with candy canes than listen to it.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2008, 03:29:17 PM »
Pod to the Mariah Carey one.  ugh.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2008, 03:38:32 PM »
Honestly? I detest them all...every single one. The only one I like is "O Holy Night" and I am peculiar as heck about who I will tolerate singing it. I think my favorite version was Pavarotti.
But I have special ire for: The Carol of the Bells, Happy Holidays, Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Santa Baby and I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Cyradis

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
"Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree." * shudders *

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
Christmas Shoes, Jingle Bell Rock, Rocking around the Christmas Tree, Wonderful Christmas Time...Santa Baby.

Calbrini

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »
Another one I hate is not even a christmas song yet music channels constantly play East 17s 'Stay another day' all through December just because they wear silly snowsuits.

Emmy

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »
Some ones I forgot "I saw Mama Kissing Santa Clause", "Jingle Bell Rock", and the one that goes "We need a little Christmas right this very minute".  I also think "12 days of Christmas" is way too long, although I do like some of the funny versions of that song.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
Santa Baby
Rockin Around the Christmas Tree

There was this song on the Muzak track when I worked at Meijer's that talked about washing your face in snow...everyone who worked there hated that song.

The Chipmunk Christmas Song

Any song played to make people feel guilty for having fun at Christmastime.

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Sleepingmediocre

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 04:22:57 PM »
"Do They Know its Christmas"  --- guilting people since 1985

YES! way to guilt people, feel good holiday cheer music  :P

The funny thing is that some of the stuff they're guilting you over isn't even true!  They claim that "the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears" (or something like that; don't have the lyrics in front of me), but Ethiopia is the source of the Blue Nile River, the tributary responsible for most of the Nile's water and fertile soil!  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Nile)  Also, given the long history of Christianity in Ethiopia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Ethiopia), I'd say they definitely "know it's Christmas."

(I know, I know, I'm letting facts get in the way of a good story!)

As for songs I hate--"Little Drummer Boy" and "Christmas Shoes" are at the top of the list.  I'm with Dave Barry on the little drummer boy--if I had a newborn baby asleep in the house and some kid was standing in front of him whacking on a drum set, those drumsticks would be going up his "rum-pa-pum-pum."   >:D

Any song played to make people feel guilty for having fun at Christmastime.

Double POD.

IDriveADodgeStratus

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
I'm not sure if it's a Christmas song, but I hear it all the time at Christmas. The one about the guy seeing his old girlfriend at the grocery store and they go out and drink beer in the car and then the snow turns into rain.  

Yeah, cheery.