Author Topic: What Holiday Song Annoys You?  (Read 22671 times)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
Re: What Holiday Song Annoys You?
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2008, 12:46:43 AM »
You'll find my list in my blog. Click on the link below and click in the archives 2006-12-17.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Etikate

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2008, 03:49:29 AM »
The Christmas Song...I'd like to tell Nat what he could do with his chesnuts and that open fire... ::)

(Gasps) Blasphemy!

My least favorite is Happy Christmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon & Yoko Ono. Yoko Ono's singing is horrendous. For the longest time I thought her off-key warbling was coming from one of the kids in the chorus, but I wasn't giving the kids enough credit.

katycoo

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2008, 05:16:02 AM »
Feliz Navidad.  If I could ban one Christmas song for all eternity, this would be it.

POD!!!!!

There is also an (in my opinion anyway) terrible Australian Christmas carol called Orana that my church sings every year.  I hate it because it is not about Christmas.  Its about native birds.  And then they tack on a 'yay Christmas' line at the end.
No.
Try harder please.

I'll find the lyrics so you see what I mean....

Out on the plains the brolgas are dancing,
Lifting their feet like war horses prancing.
Up to the sun the woodlarks go winging,
Faint in the dawn light echoes their singing
Orana! Orana!
Orana! To Christmas Day.

G'sMom

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2008, 07:46:46 AM »
Gah, forgot about the John Lennon one! (So this is Christmas). I truly can't stand him, the Beatles, Yoko, or any of the music associated with any of them. This is definitely on my music hatred list!

Calbrini

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2008, 07:53:37 AM »
When I hear the John Lenon song when he sings with all the kids I wonder how many christmases he bothered to contact Julian?

Etikate

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
When I hear the John Lenon song when he sings with all the kids I wonder how many christmases he bothered to contact Julian?

Temporary Threadjack: Ever since I saw an interview with Julian Lennon talking about his childhood and the lack of support (financial or otherwise) from his father after the divorce, I have never been able to look at John Lennon the same way.

Random Factoid: Did you know that Paul McCartney wrote "Hey Jude" (originally "Hey Jules") for Julian Lennon after his father left his mother?

Threadjack Over.

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2008, 12:04:42 PM »
The other one I hate ... "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." I'd put that on an album called Holiday Music to Slash Your Wrists By. The sentiments are pretty enough (though it's worth noting that the original lyrics included lines like " ''Have yourself a merry little Christmas/It may be your last." and "Faithful friends who were dear to us/Will be near to us no more.'' More info: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1569872,00.html)

I've always associated that song with World War II, which is when it was written.  I usually sing the "muddle through somehow" line, but I'm usually thinking of our troops stationed overseas.  (Even when we didn't have troops in a combat zone, there are those stationed in Germany, Guam, Japan, and on ships at sea over the holidays.  Heck, if you are stationed at Fort Bragg or Camp Pendleton but your family is in New York, you may not get to go home for the holidays.)
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

snowflake

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »
Anything that is Muzak.  Whatever it is, it has to be more traditional.

"O Tannenbaum" sung by the Vienna Boys' Choir is just fine.  Some teen idol singing "O Christmas Tree" in a whiny voice with a bad synthesizer back up is not.  "Jingle Bells" performed by the Boston Pops with a chorus in eight-part harmony is lovely.  Most renditions make me want to get a gun for Christmas.  I like "Sleigh ride" as it was written by Anderson.  I don't like it as it is performed by crooners.

Some songs will always be Muzak.  That includes "Feliz Navidad,"  "Rockin' around the Christmas tree,"  and many others mentioned here.

In general, if it's cute and fun, I'm probably going to hate it.  This is my whole motivation for Christmas Shopping early and online.  Christmas Muzak makes me want to rip my ear drums out.

snowflake

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »
Oh yeah, and I have a rant about "Last Christmas I gave you my heart."

It's one of those awful whiny relationship songs that send me into rants.

1) Um, no one is obligated to return your love.  If you think they are, you're going to get it trashed lots of times because few people like a clinger.  Tough Luck. 

2) If they return your love, they are under no obligation to do it forever.  One reason why I am a fan of the antiquated institution of marriage is that I believe that there should be a point where both parties agree that they will be firmly committed.  Before the mutual agreement, you do not get to expect anything.  Words of love and passion whispered during the excitement of a holiday do not count as a firm agreement of commitment.

3) You especially don't get to expect unlimited return since you didn't give it to someone who you deemed as, "special" in the first place.

4) If you are still hung up on the whole fiasco a year later, than you aren't going to be able to truly give your heart, no matter how special the new recipient.  Prepare to be a "victim" again. 

I know, people keep telling me that, "It's just a song."  Ha!  If it were "just a song" would so many people be taking it seriously?  If it were "just a song" would people say that it's "their song?"  I'll stop taking these pieces of dreck seriously when other people do.

Until then, I'm just going to ruin the songs for them by over-analyzing them.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2008, 01:51:47 PM »

Until then, I'm just going to ruin the songs for them by over-analyzing them.
You and me both. :D

My sisters start rolling their eyes when I over-analyze songs. And my brother is still sulky from my "ruining" "Every Breath You Take." (Come on, I had to step in. He wanted it for his first dance with his wife at their wedding reception! Then-fiancee was lukewarm but willing to give in, until I pointed out that it was about an obsessive stalker.)

But my reaction to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is more visceral. Just Don't Like That Song.

Calbrini

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »
snowflake, that analysis of 'last Christmas' was just too funny!!!! I never realised that about 'someone special'. Wasnt the person the year before special???

ET is the best alien.

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2008, 02:08:15 PM »
I am listening to the radio as I read this and last year I gave you my heart came on. Too funny.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2008, 02:10:57 PM »

Temporary Threadjack: Ever since I saw an interview with Julian Lennon talking about his childhood and the lack of support (financial or otherwise) from his father after the divorce, I have never been able to look at John Lennon the same way.

I saw an exhibit once of Lennon's drawings, and many of his drawings of his younger son Sean were accompanied by quotes from friends talking about what a wonderful father he was. Interestingly, there were no quotes from Julian.  ::) I feel the same way you do (though I have to admit I like the song in question, at least until Yoko starts singing).
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2008, 02:21:47 PM »
"My Favorite Things" in my mind is not.a.christmas.song!!!!  Just because it mentions brown paper packages tied up in string does not make it a christmas song!

But it's got snowflakes! Any song that mentions snow and/or winter has to be a Christmas song. Which is something that frosts (no pun intended) my shorts. It would be nice to hear "Let It Snow" or "Marshmallow World" or "Baby, It's Cold Outside" in, say, February, when we're getting sick and tired of the snow and could use a reminder of how pretty it really is. But nooo .... apparently not only does Christmas end on Dec. 26, so does winter.

Yesterday in a store I heard several Christmas songs over the PA, followed by "Give a Little Bit" by Supertramp and "Imagine" by John Lennon. I can only hope that this particular store hasn't converted its Muzak to "all Christmas, all the time," and that's why those songs showed up -- not because someone decided "Give a Little Bit" belongs in a Christmas mix because it's about giving, and "Imagine" is a Christmas song because it's about peace on Earth. Giving and peace aren't just for Christmas, darnit!

I don't have much use for most Christmas songs written after 1900, with the exceptions of "Mary's Boy Child" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »

I don't have much use for most Christmas songs written after 1900, with the exceptions of "Mary's Boy Child" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."
"Mary's Boy Child" is awesome. It's another one of those that gives me chills every time I hear it.