Author Topic: Faux Pas of the Year - The Tale of Two Brides  (Read 12945 times)

missmolly

Faux Pas of the Year - The Tale of Two Brides
« on: December 01, 2008, 05:13:30 AM »
I've bolded my favourite line.

I have really enjoyed your site! It is very entertaining. I'm not too sure if the category fits the occasion, but here's an interesting tale....   My brother's stepdaughter got married a few years ago, I'll call her Kelly. He was divorced from Kelly's mother a year before (I'll call her Wilma). My brother, Will,  felt honored to be involved in the wedding because he basically raised Kelly and loved her as his own. My mom and I were invited as family and were happy to attend.

The event was at a very elegant venue with all the trimmings. It was a picture perfect wedding except for one jaw-dropping surprise.   It was held at a glorious two story ante-bellum style mansion. It was tastefully decorated with flowers and candles and crystal sparkling everywhere. There were no seating arrangements for the guests, and no ushers. My mom thought that odd, but we didn't have a problem finding a place to sit. We didn't see Wilma, but figured maybe she was upstairs with last minute arrangements for the bride. We didn't give it another thought at the time.   The main room had a sweeping, curved staircase that the bride was to walk down and join Will, who was to give her away (or so we thought!).  The processional was like a fairy tale. One BM after the other came down the stairs to a string quartet's beautiful music.

Then the moment we had all been waiting for... The Bride! The music built up to an exciting crescendo, we all stood up in anticipation....Then she appears at the top of the stairs-- all smiling and radiant... but wait! What's this? TWO brides? Can it be? No... its her MOTHER !(Wilma) in a long white sparkling wedding gown holding the arm of her daughter, in a long white beautiful wedding gown as well! The deciding difference was the bride had a veil and big bouquet. Wilma had a small yet sparkling tiara and BM bouquet....   They eased down the staircase to the amazement of us all. We thought we were seeing double!!  Kelly joined up with Will for the walk down the aisle. Will was looking a little baffled as Wilma took Kelly's other side and the trio proceeded to walk to the altar. It was quite a bizarre sight, one gentleman and two "brides"...

The pastor did the usual asking of "Who gives this woman away" and first Will said, "I do," then Wilma said the same. Will hugged Kelly, then walked away and sat by his current wife. Wilma just stepped a few feet away next to the MOH for the rest of the ceremony (which went beautifully). I was sitting a few rows in back of Will, and could see his head shaking in embarrassment throughout the entire ceremony. My mom and I had to stifle the giggles, and that took quite an effort. After the announcement of Husband and Wife , Kelly and Josh (new hubby) walked out together, with Wilma close behind (alone), then the rest of the bridal party followed.   Afterwards, my mother mentioned to Wilma (her ex-DIL) that the staircase processional was beautiful, and what a surprise to see Wilma with Kelly! Wilma explained that she always wanted to have a big fancy wedding but couldn't afford one until now, and thought it would be a fun surprise for everyone. My mom was appalled but replied in some tactful way. Wilma's new (third) hubby was hiding in corners behind large flower arrangements during the whole process. Bless his heart.   

I later asked my brother, Will , if he was aware of what was going to happen. I thought he was privy to the proceedings since the night before there was the usual rehearsal and all. He said that the bride's mom stood in for her during the rehearsal (something about bad luck). But he had no idea Wilma would be marching down the aisle with him and the bride.   The rest of the evening went fine,  Kelly was very gracious and sweet. Josh, her new hubby was apparently very happy.  She said she was a bit surprised by what her mom did as well. She said she should have gotten an inkling when Wilma tried on dresses at the wedding boutiques with her. But she was told, "It's just for fun"!    We never heard about any "fallout" later. Our family isn't in that loop anymore. Knowing Kelly, all was forgiven. What a classy gal.     

FauxPasoftheYear0613-08

Many e-hellions have seen plenty of extremely tacky methods of having a wedding beyond the HC's means, and now here's a new way to have the wedding you've always dreamed of but couldn't afford: Simply hijack someone else's!
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Sycorax

Re: Faux Pas of the Year - The Tale of Two Brides
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 06:14:31 AM »
I wonder how the real bride felt about that.

Sycorax
"Ruining your daughter's wedding by making it all about yourself is really reaching a new height of selfishness ..."

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:23:58 AM »
I don't think I'd be able to forgive my mother if she did this to me. What a selfish woman! Wasn't there a story here on the EHell forums a while back, and the brides sister and mother both wore formal white gowns to her wedding? I remeber pictures. This story reminds me of that (only worse).

missmolly

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 07:21:55 AM »
Something I missed: the submitter mentions Wilma's third husband. So, to get this straight: Wilma has presumably had three weddings, or at least three opportunities to celebrate. But she's never been able to afford a BWW. So rather than have a celebration for a wedding anniversary or something, she chooses to hijack what will hopefully be her daughter's only wedding. Classy. 
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Calbrini

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:28:31 AM »
I knew a man who sort of 'hijacked' his brothers wedding day but this takes the biscuit. Its not like the bride even knew!!

TylerBelle

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »
"Wilma's new (third) hubby was hiding in corners behind large flower arrangements during the whole process. Bless his heart."

I love this, hehehe. Gotta feel for the guy, I wouldn't blame him for trying to be as lowkey as possible. I agree, Wilma seems to have had plenty of opportunities for a BWW with one of her actual ceremonies or on an anniversary, but she chose her daughter's wedding to do so. I guess it was more gratifying to not only have some semblance of a BWW, but also steal some of another bride's thunder. Tackiness to the extreme.

I remember watching a show where it followed three brides during their wedding planning. And with one there was the domineering mother calling at least most of the shots, and she was actually on camera telling the bride that she herself didn't have the wedding she'd desired so she now was having through her daughter. Goodness, I don't get this behavior.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

snowflake

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03:23 AM »
One of my friends actually had a BF who suggested they do this.  He wanted them to get married.  She was dragging her feet and wanted to date more before a commitment. 

He finally told her that she had to make a decision in the next two weeks.  Why?  Because his brother was getting married in this BWW that his future sister-in-law (FSIL) had dreamed of since she was 3.  (Nice person, not a bridezilla, even if she was obsessed with her wedding.)  The Boyfriend's plan was to suddenly hijack the wedding into a double.  Friend said that there was no way she'd do that to his FSIL.  Boyfriend said, "C'mon, it would be a great surprise for them.  And that way we can have a wedding for free!"

They broke up soon after that.  She figured that if he couldn't see how it would hurt FSIL, she didn't need to date him more to know.

ladycrim

• Where there is cake there is hope, and there is always cake.
  • All hail the kitty
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 04:19:29 PM »
One of my friends actually had a BF who suggested they do this.  He wanted them to get married.  She was dragging her feet and wanted to date more before a commitment. 

He finally told her that she had to make a decision in the next two weeks.  Why?  Because his brother was getting married in this BWW that his future sister-in-law (FSIL) had dreamed of since she was 3.  (Nice person, not a bridezilla, even if she was obsessed with her wedding.)  The Boyfriend's plan was to suddenly hijack the wedding into a double.  Friend said that there was no way she'd do that to his FSIL.  Boyfriend said, "C'mon, it would be a great surprise for them.  And that way we can have a wedding for free!"

They broke up soon after that.  She figured that if he couldn't see how it would hurt FSIL, she didn't need to date him more to know.

Wow, what brass on that guy!  Kudos to your friend for realizing what he was and kicking him to the curb.

djinnidjream

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »

You think he found someone in time?
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 01:39:03 AM »
My jaw may never rejoin the rest of my face.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Mopsy428

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
Wow! I'd be furious at my mother is she did that. Hearing these stories makes me feel grateful that my mother isn't like some of the mothers in these stories.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »
I feel sorry for poor Kelly...her mother marries three times but still has to hijack HER wedding and make it all about her.

How sad.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

look in the tunk

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »

Wow, what brass on that guy!  Kudos to your friend for realizing what he was and kicking him to the curb.

:o :o :o

Words can not ever describe!!! And yes, kudos to her for not agreeing to something so heinous.

pinkunicorn

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »
Wow! I'd be furious at my mother is she did that. Hearing these stories makes me feel grateful that my mother isn't like some of the mothers in these stories.

Ditto!

My mother was actually very pleasantly surprised and happy when I asked her if both she AND dad would walk me down the aisle together for my wedding!
Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »
If, during the wedding planning, my mother turned to me and said, "Daughter dear, I never had a BWW like I dreamed of. Would you mind if I dressed as a bride and walked down the aisle before you?", I would smile and tell her:

"Mother dearest, I will be happy to help you plan a voew renewal for you - after my wedding."

If she just appeared dressed as a bride? No way she was going to go down that aisle and make a fool of herself.