Author Topic: Faux Pas of the Year - The Tale of Two Brides  (Read 13072 times)

librarianinhell

Re: Faux Pas of the Year - The Tale of Two Brides
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
Um the mother dressed like a bride?  Waht the hecky?  It would have been one thing if mom didn't want her ex husband to walk the daughter down the aisle and just made sure he didn't, but to pretend to be the bride?  If there was some prize for the most messed up mom, this would win it. 

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 10:42:19 PM »
I don't think I'd be able to forgive my mother if she did this to me. What a selfish woman! Wasn't there a story here on the EHell forums a while back, and the brides sister and mother both wore formal white gowns to her wedding? I remeber pictures. This story reminds me of that (only worse).

I actually would like to have my bridesmaids in white. Diffrent style from myself, but i saw a wedding where they did that once, and ever since, i've though how beautiful the bride and her BMs looked, all in white, with the bride herself in veil.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

nina09

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 10:52:29 PM »
I went to a wedding and everyone was dress in white ,Ivory and other similar color it was beutiful.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 03:22:13 AM »
I don't think I'd be able to forgive my mother if she did this to me. What a selfish woman! Wasn't there a story here on the EHell forums a while back, and the brides sister and mother both wore formal white gowns to her wedding? I remeber pictures. This story reminds me of that (only worse).

I actually would like to have my bridesmaids in white. Diffrent style from myself, but i saw a wedding where they did that once, and ever since, i've though how beautiful the bride and her BMs looked, all in white, with the bride herself in veil.
Yes, I agree, if it was obvious who the bride was, it'd be lovely. But this poor ladys mother and sister wore dresses so similar to hers you really couldn't tell. And she was upset with it (understandably). I wonder if any other EHellions remember it. I'll try to find the thread.
I went to a wedding once where all the bridesmaids were in white, and the bride wore a big, dramatic red ballgown! The effect was really stunning, they looked fantastic. Even though she was in red, it was obvious who was the bride.

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 07:32:20 PM »

Yes, I agree, if it was obvious who the bride was, it'd be lovely. But this poor ladys mother and sister wore dresses so similar to hers you really couldn't tell. And she was upset with it (understandably). I wonder if any other EHellions remember it. I'll try to find the thread.
I went to a wedding once where all the bridesmaids were in white, and the bride wore a big, dramatic red ballgown! The effect was really stunning, they looked fantastic. Even though she was in red, it was obvious who was the bride.

LOL

I admire women who get married in bright colors, but my grandmother broke me of that dream.

(Scary nursery rhyme!)
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

missmolly

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 02:11:37 AM »

LOL

I admire women who get married in bright colors, but my grandmother broke me of that dream.

(Scary nursery rhyme!)

Is that the one that goes 'Married in blue, he'll always be true', or something like that?
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 04:56:28 AM »
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=12717.0

Found the link! (the one where the bride's sister and mother turned up in white dresses in the same style as the brides). The original picture has been removed, but on page two the picture is there, only the brides mother and sister have been photoshopped so their dresses are different colours. Imagine them in white, you'll see why the bride was upset!

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 05:34:36 PM »

LOL

(Scary nursery rhyme!)

Is that the one that goes 'Married in blue, he'll always be true', or something like that?

Kinda:

Married in Blue, the lady is true
Married in green, she'll n'er be seen
Married in black, she'll wish herself back
Married in red, soon she's dead (or she'll wish to be dead)
Married in yellow, poor fellow
married in white, angelic sight
married in gold, secret's been told

And for my aunt:

A bride in stripes will recieve the same from her man
A bride in spots wears her own tears
A bride who cries will always be happy

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
I wore white to my Mother's wedding. I was five and the Maiden of Honor. I would love to do something similar if I get married one day.

What I find to be interesting is that white is a very new tradition and through out history and different cultures red was one of the most popular color for a brides dress. One reason why was because it was an expensive dye and people wanted to show wealth even with the sumptuary laws barring certain things.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »
Wow! I'd be furious at my mother is she did that. Hearing these stories makes me feel grateful that my mother isn't like some of the mothers in these stories.

EHell has inspired many thank-yous to my parents for not being loony. ;D
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

HonorH

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 12:54:25 AM »
I wore white to my Mother's wedding. I was five and the Maiden of Honor. I would love to do something similar if I get married one day.

The flower girls at both my sisters' weddings wore white, as did the junior bridesmaid at SisE's wedding.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 12:34:08 PM »
I love to see both parents walk the bride down the aisle, BUT the MOB dressing up as a bride?!?  Tacky and way to steal the spotlight!  I wonder if has been doing that to her daughter her whole life. 

I love seeing flower girls or other young attendants in white - they look adorable and no on  is going to mistake them for the bride.

jenny_islander

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
The only remotely related acceptable thing for the MOB to do would have been to ask the bride whether she really wanted initials on the paper napkins, or what have you, because she could order for her own renewal of vows on a different date and get a quantity discount if they ordered together (and MOB covered her share).  MOB, naturally, would not get a say in the color scheme. 

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
My mom would never try this, but if in some alternate reality, she did try it, she'd get locked in a room while I had my wedding.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine