Author Topic: Salads for the non-salad eater?  (Read 6537 times)

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
Re: Salads for the non-salad eater?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2007, 07:34:30 PM »
Here's my recipe for a simple veggie salad which works well with all kinds of meals--Mexican food, hamburgers, mushy casseroles, you name it.

Bean/Corn salad
One can of black beans (drained)
One can of corn, plain kernel (drained)
One green pepper, diced

Mix all together and let sit so the flavors meld a little. You can drizzle it with your favorite dressing, but honestly, it's so good just plain and "as is." The bell pepper flavors the other two nicely.

I particularly like it for company as it's colorful and can be made ahead of time as well.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 08:57:54 AM »

Do you like lentils? I have a great one for a salad of French Green Lentils, but lots of people don't like them so...
I LOVE lentils.  Thanks for the recipe. 
My favorite way to cook them is washing and cleaning a package of them (12 ounces, I think), placing them in 7 cups of water with about 7 large cloves gralic, pressed, which I have browned to a light golden color in oil, about 2 T. minced fresh ginger, about 1/8th to 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, a couple of thin slices of lemon and a half cup of chopped fresh parsley leaves (I like curly parsley, not the flat leaf).  I cook them until they are done and at almost the end add another half cup chopped parsley leaves and another tablespoon of minced or finely chopped ginger.  If I want soup instead, I use 10 cups of water and do the same but also add cubed potatoes and diced carrots.  And serve it with a big gob of yogurt (my favorite is Pavel's Original Russian yogurt.)  It's been a long time since I made lentils, but I may also add just a pinch of ground allspice.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 09:16:56 AM »
This isn't salad, but it's alot of greens.  We had it last night and it was great.
1 lb stir fry size lean pork.  Fry up in oil and pressed garlic.  Add some minced ginger and a few drops toasted sesame oil.  Set aside. 
Halve and shred (about 1/4 inch) a head of savoy cabbage. 
Wash and drain about a half package of  bean sprouts. 
Halve and thinly slice one portabella mushroom cap.  (optional)
Thinly slice the greens from one bunch of green onions.
Open a can of sliced water chestnuts.

Heat some oil in wok, add about 4 large cloves pressed or minced garlic and 2 T. chopped fresh ginger.  Add the veggies and about a tsp soy sauce.  Stir fry for a few minutes.  Add the pork and water chestnuts.  Cook until veggies are crisp tender.  Add about a quarter teaspoon toasted sesame oil.  Serve over crispy noodles. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

edenparadox

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2007, 10:10:51 PM »
Here's a few that my family makes:

Carrot Salad: shredded carrot, minced garlic to taste, some crushed walnuts, stir with mayo until combined, salt, pepper.

Spring Salad: diced radishes, diced green onions, sour cream, fresh parsley, salt, pepper.

Gram's Garden Salad: diced tomatoes, diced cucumbers, diced onions, vegetable oil, fresh parsley, salt, pepper.