Author Topic: Salads for the non-salad eater?  (Read 6518 times)

aline

• formerly farfalla
Salads for the non-salad eater?
« on: April 03, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
I've been trying to eat more salads for dinner, and only have a couple of good recipes. I've never been terribly fond of just greens and dressing. What are some of your favorite salad recipes or ingredients?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Salads for the non-salad eater?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:12:30 PM »
Does it have to include lettuce?  Because I'm having a craving for Three Bean Salad these days.  It's easy and quick.

It's not really the recipe for the real thing, but what I usually do is get cans of 3 different types of beans (or more - who cares if it ends up being 10 bean salad?!) - garbanzos, green beans, kidney beans, whatever strikes your fancy.  Put all of them with some vinegar (I'm partial to white balsalmic these days), salt and pepper.  Best to let it sit a while in the fridge (even a few days!) to let the flavors meld.  But, mine usually doesn't last that long! :)

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:32:21 PM »
It definitely does not have to include lettuce. In fact, I'm getting kind of sick of lettuce, so alternatives are welcome. ;)

Three bean salad sounds lovely. I even have all the ingredients. I'm going to have to try that out for dinner this week. Thanks!  ;D

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:53:55 AM »
I've been trying to eat more salads for dinner, and only have a couple of good recipes. I've never been terribly fond of just greens and dressing. What are some of your favorite salad recipes or ingredients?

Do you like Cucumbers?  A great recipe I adapted from the Best of Bridge series of cookbooks.

Lee Hong's Cucumbers

This is always a hit when I make it and it's the most requested salad recipe I make.  If I make it once, I'm always asked to make it again.  It also keeps for a couple days and is even better.  The cukes get a little softer the next day, but the flavour is awesome. 

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:02:59 AM »
I love cucumbers and that recipe looks wonderful as well, thanks! Definitely going to try out both of the posted suggestions.  :)

Sibby

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »
Cucumber-Onion Salad
Thinly slice one whole cucumber
Thinly slice 1/2 of a red onion
Finely chop some fresh dill
Dress with red wine vinegar, a mild oil and salt & pepper.
Tastes best if let to sit for an hour or more before serving.
(If you use the slicing blade of a food processor, this salad takes less than 3 minutes to make)

Bean Salad
2 or 3 cans assorted beans (or subsitiute 1 can with corn or artichoke hearts)
1 green pepper diced
1/2 red oinion, diced
2-4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 or 2 carrots, chopped

(I have no problem with the above bean salad recipe, I just like to add lots of veggies to make it more healthful; more veggies=more vitamins, etc)

Dress with oil & vinigar or try this:
In a blender or food processor, combine, 1 roasted red pepper (the kind that comes in a jar), 1 clove garlic, 2 seasonsed marinated artichoke hearts, 2 or 3 sundried tomoatoes (instead of adding them to the salad), 4 or 5 [jarred] jalepenos slices, olive oil and a mild vinegar.
Not only is it tasty, but you've just added a whole extra serving of vegetables to your salad!

Tomato-Onion-Avacado Salad
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 avacado (Haas or Florida), cubed
1 hard boiled egg (optional), chopped
Dress with oil & vinegar, salt, pepper & cumin

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:36:06 AM »
Thanks! The roasted red pepper dressing and the tomato-onion-avocado salad sound especially good. Now I'm all hungry.  :P

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
Broccoli and orange salad:

Blanche some broccoli and refresh,
Segment some oranges (remove pith),
Thinly slice rings of red onion (or any mild onion),

dress with vinaigrette.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:18:13 PM »
Cold asparagus makes a nice salad.

Steam some fresh asparagus until just tender, then shock in ice water to stop it cooking and chill.  Combine the spears with some fresh diced/sliced tomato, bell pepper, whatever you like, and dress with a vinegrette dressing.

Sideshow Mel

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 02:26:26 PM »
One of my favorite salads to make includes fresh spinach, mandarin orange slices, and  dried cranberries (and occasionally chopped walnuts, thinly sliced red onion, and/or grilled chicken).  I toss all the ingredients with a citrus-based dressing, although lately I've been using Lighthouse brand pomengranate-blueberry vinagrette (not sure if it's a local brand or not).

lovinAZ

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 12:10:30 AM »
One of my favorite salads to make includes fresh spinach, mandarin orange slices, and  dried cranberries (and occasionally chopped walnuts, thinly sliced red onion, and/or grilled chicken).  I toss all the ingredients with a citrus-based dressing, although lately I've been using Lighthouse brand pomengranate-blueberry vinagrette (not sure if it's a local brand or not).

This salad is good with homemade dressing of equal parts balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and olive oil.

I also like cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, avacado and/or a little hard boiled egg, peas, a few spiral noodles, together with a little bit of oil & vinegar (or whatever dressing you prefer).  It's good over spinach as well.

I don't eat lettuce salads any more unless I'm out.  Spinach salads have won my salad heart -- they're tastier (I like spinach) and have way more nutritional value than lettuce.

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »

I make this kind of salad a lot - so good!  My favorite dressing for it is Braswell's Creamy Vidalia Onion.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 04:13:04 PM »
Here's something DH made for a picnic last summer:

Grill a boneless, skinless chicken breast and cook up some pasta.  Cut up the chicken, mix it with the pasta and add pesto.  Chill it until you're ready to eat it.  At that point, cut up cherry tomatoes and mozzerella cheese and mix those in.

minnaloushe

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 09:01:18 PM »
Salade Nicoise?

Or

Cousous Salad:

9 oz couscous
1 c water
2 roasted red peppers, diced
1 med red onion or small bunch scallions
2 med seeded and diced tomatoes
1 tsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
6 tbsp EVOO
3 tbsp Lemon juice (three or so lemons)
2 handfuls fresh herbs, whatever you like It's really good with oregano, parsley and thyme or even mint
1 finely chopped chili-pepper, if desired
Salt & Pepper

Toss couscous with 5 tbsp Olive oil and 2 tbsp Lemon juice 1 tsp ech salt and fresh ground pepper, add water and let sit for 15 mins, until dressing is absorbed.

Meanwhile, toss the rest of the ingredients in a big bowl, season to taste and let marinade while the couscous fluffs.

Toss together and serve with pita bread.  You can add cold diced chicken if you like.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:38:57 PM by minnaloushe »

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 11:52:42 AM »

I like the vinegar salad with lemon juice instead of vinegar and no sugar or oil and lots of dill and a bit of garlic - it comes out like a sour pickle.

Asparagus and salmon salad - poach the salmon, cook asparagus until just done, chill, flake the salmon and chop the asparagus and add some finely diced onion and dress with olive oil, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper. A bit of a luxury most places, but both salmon and asparagus are ridiculously cheap where I live.

Greek salad - dice cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and toss with greek olives, crumbled feta cheese, and a dressing made of olive oil, a bit of vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano.

You can do the same thing with random vegetables. I can't get good lettuce easily, so I'll make lettuceless salads - chopped onion (white or green), red or green peppers, snow peas (aka mange tout), celery, carrots, mushrooms, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, etc, cut into bite sized pieces. Olives, crumbled cheese or pinenuts go well too. You can dress it with storebought dressing, homemade dressing or just olive oil and balsamic vinegar (I do that, with a grinding of fresh black pepper).

Pasta salad - cook pasta and rinse with cold water. You can add various things, including canned corn, mushrooms, diced red pepper, tuna, celery, onion, olives, chopped dill pickles, etc, and dress with a vinagrette or cream based dressing.

Marinated mushroom salad - take small white mushrooms and blanch in boiling water. Mix with a vinagrette dressing and finely diced onion and let sit for a few hours.