Author Topic: Vegetarian Cookbook(s)  (Read 1383 times)

ZipTheWonder

Vegetarian Cookbook(s)
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »
I want to give a vegetarian cookbook as a gift.  I have one or two, and I think they have some nice recipes, but they are *BORING* as books. 

Does anyone have a suggestion/suggestions for some vegetarian cookbooks that are also visually appealing, interesting books?

I definitely am not looking for niche vegetarian -- not Asian Fusion Vegetarian Cooking or The Ultimate Gluten Free Vegetarian, just a good broad cookbook.

leaf_eater

Sapphi27

Re: Vegetarian Cookbook(s)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
Here are just a few of the books in my veg cookbook library:

Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World (HC) Gil Marks
I just got this book for Passover recipes and loved it.  The stories behind the dishes are awesome.  My dishes for Passover were a hit with the meat eaters too.  Good reading plus good recipes.
ETA:  This is a very broad book despite it being jewish cuisine.

Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook (HC)
I just got this book for my birthday.  I haven't made anything from this book yet, but it has great informational parts to the book that I do use and I'm looking forward to making recipes.  I love looking at it.

The Vegetarian Family Cookbook (Paperback) Nava Atlas
This book is good for basics.  A popular on the veg blog circuit.  You can get an idea of her recipes from her site.

I'm tempted to put on my favorite vegan cookbooks, but you specifically asked for non-niche books.  They would fall under non-niche that no matter how broad the dishes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:39:07 PM by Sapphi27 »

Sapphi27

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »
Also, many of the Moosewood cookbooks are pretty broad and fun books though many of the books are more flextarian (i.e., almost vegetarian)

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 02:55:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions -- I think I'll get that Vegetarian Family Cookbook.  It's for my niece's birthday.  She's been vegetarian for some time, but she's getting married soon and will be going from putting together a quick dish for herself to cooking for a family.  That's why I wanted a broader cookbook -- she is not a novice vegetarian, more of a novice cook.

I'm open to more ideas...I probably should have given more information to start with!

Satyress

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 03:01:49 PM »
Delia Smith's Vegetarian is full of yummy recipes.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 01:30:06 PM »
Delia Smith's Vegetarian is full of yummy recipes.

I second that. It's also excellent because it allows for a fair range of culinary capability (i.e. Even I can use it, but it's got "proper cooks'" recipes in there too).

Eastsider

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:41:41 PM »
I highly recommend the Italian Vegetarian Cookbook.  I know you said no niche books but this one has many different types of recipes.  There are many quick, easy, and yummy vegetarian dishes in the book and they give meal planning suggestions.  Our family is vegetarian and with 3 kids we don't have much time to cook so we love this book because there are so many good recipes. 

ZipTheWonder

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 04:10:11 PM »
I don't have any specific book suggestions, but I know a way to make a cook book seem less boring in general.  Perhaps you can include a fun, useful cooking utensil or ingredient.  If I were giving a vegetarian cookbook that included recipes for saffron, for example, I might include some of that (or cardamom, vanilla beans, or whatever).

Now, before you say "but the price!!!" realize that there are stores online that have very high quality spices for very low prices.  Never buy saffron at grocery stores because they charge an arm and a leg for it!

In any case, a cute utensil (or small package of good spice or herbs) tied with a ribbon around the book makes it much more visually appealing and interesting.