Poll

Do you like coconut?

Yes
65 (70.7%)
No
27 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Coconut  (Read 3614 times)

ZipTheWonder

Coconut
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:29:13 PM »
I'm talking about the dried, shredded stuff.

I'm just trying to get a sense of how many people do/don't like coconut.  I was thinking of doing a dessert that calls for it, but I have always been squeamish about serving guests coconut.  I have some sort of perception that it is one of those things, like fish, that is generally not served unless you *know* people like it.  I'm wondering if that is really the case.

Do you eat it?

kathrynne

Re: Coconut
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:45:37 PM »
I agree coconut's a tricky one. You love it, you hate it or you're allergic to it. There's no middle ground.

A favorite part of Easter dinner with my family has always been the lamb cake. It's a pound cake baked in a lamb-shaped tin, then frosted and covered with coconut flakes. Mom always leaves the butt-end coconut-free for those who don't like the stuff. It looks strange, but everybody's happy.

cocacola35

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:54:04 PM »
I have known people that hated the dried kind but will eat the fresh.  I'd say when baking or cooking with it, you have to know your audience.

Kind of funny....I was known as a picky eater when I was little, but I was the only kid that liked coconut......

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:23:38 PM »
Can't stand the stuff, dd can't stand it, BF loves it.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:50:18 PM »
The *only* time I can eat the stuff is in my homemade pecan frosting for the german chocolate cake I make. Otherwise get it away from me!!  :P

EvilAlice

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:16:56 PM »
I have some sort of perception that it is one of those things, like fish, that is generally not served unless you *know* people like it.

Bless you for realizing it.  I don't mind the taste of coconut too much- but the dried shredded stuff- the texture drives me crazy and I have to fight the impulse to spit it out if I accidentally run across it.  It just ruins otherwise good things, IMO.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 01:01:02 AM »

I remember being served a largish slice of "Italian Cream Cake" as a guest.  I didn't ask for a big slice, but I did have a hungry gleam in my eye.  It was gorgeous!  It had coconut.  Who knew?  I loath coconut.  Even the smell makes me a little sick.  Utterly disgusting. 

Pixie

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
My Hubby hates it.   With Easter just around the corner, I've been wanting to make an Easter Bunny Cake, but can't use coconut.  I may have to play with the frosting a bit to get it to look like fur.  But then again, Hubby and I don't need cake anyway.

HogwartsAlum

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 09:42:18 AM »
I love it.  I used to sneak it out of the bag when my mom had it around.  I love candy with coconut inside it too. 

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:21:05 AM »
I don't mind the flavor of coconut.  I like the smell of coconut.  I like things that use coconut cream or coconut milk.  I enjoy Pina Coladas.  :^)

But I absolutely cannot stand shredded coconut.  It has an awful grainy crunchy texture.  There is no way to make shredded coconut edible to me.     

phred246

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
I like coconut if it is fresh. As for dried coconut, I hate it!
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 11:00:55 AM »
Yum, I love coconut in just about any form. A lot of people don't though - my husband for one. Maybe you could ask the people you expect to invite for dinner?

Sibby

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 11:23:27 AM »
My Hubby hates it.   With Easter just around the corner, I've been wanting to make an Easter Bunny Cake, but can't use coconut.  I may have to play with the frosting a bit to get it to look like fur.  But then again, Hubby and I don't need cake anyway.

Cotton candy an be used in leiu of coconut for easter bunny cakes.

Of course I love coconut so it's a moot point to me.  In fact, other than eyeballs & brains - which I refuse to consider edible under any circumstances - I would at least try absolutely anyhting that was served to me, were I a guest.  (I get lots of dinner invitations because I'm such an easy guest guest to accommodate  ;D )

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 12:08:50 PM »
I like coconut.  I made a snack recipe for Thing 2's birthday party that had coconut in it, and one of my friends who doesn't normally like coconut even liked them.

But now I've got that song running through my head...

"you put the lime in the coconut you drink them both up..."

GAH!

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Cop Jr is allergic to it.

I detest it.