Poll

Do you like coconut?

Yes
65 (70.7%)
No
27 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Coconut  (Read 3899 times)

retreadbride

Re: Coconut
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 01:19:21 PM »
I never knew people didn't like coconut!

I'm making my coconut cake for Easter. People can eat it or not. I also bake a pie, though, so they have a choice.

Pst! The cake is scratch. The Berry Burst pie is Mrs. Smith's. I can make souffles but have NEVER mastered pie crust. I'm cursed.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »
Thanks for responding, everyone.

The results confirm what I thought.  It really *is* in the 'fish category' - ASK first.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 03:12:08 PM »
As long as I can eat around it, I'm fine  ;)  I like Almond Joy and Mounds candy bars and also coconut milk, just not the shredded dry stuff.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 03:20:52 PM »
I can't stand the stuff.  Whether it's coconut shrimp, pina coladas, macaroons or a brand of sunblock, I don't like the smell or taste.  That said, if the frosting is the location of the coconut, I'd scrape off the frosting and devour the cake.  Why ruin others pleasure? 
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 08:09:10 PM »
I found a new obsession -- the filled herseys kisses

one with coconut and one cherry corgial at the same time

Yumm

Hijack over

I can eat coconut right from the bag as a snack
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 08:11:50 PM »
Mmmm coconut! Chocolate dipped coconut macaroons.....coconut milk soup with chicken and lemongrass......coconut battered fried shrimp....fresh coconut ice cream w/Kahlua drizzled on top....Mounds....Almond Joy.....sigh.....

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 12:05:49 AM »
I had an oatmeal cookie recipe that called for shredded coconut to be added (instead of raisins - I just don't like raisins in cookies).  I had people devour those cookies who insisted that they didn't LIKE oatmeal cookies "because they are so dry - but these are moist and chewy". 

I also adore German chocolate cake with the pecan and coconut frosting............so I guess that I am one of the people that likes coconut! 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

twinkletoes

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 11:12:52 AM »
I can't stand coconut in frosting, and yet I can eat my GMIL's version of Almond Joys (which are bigger, have more coconut, and are much better) by the truckload, so go figure.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 02:32:01 PM »
I found a new obsession -- the filled herseys kisses

one with coconut and one cherry corgial at the same time

Yumm

Hijack over

I can eat coconut right from the bag as a snack

OH.MY.GOSH.MUST.BUY.NOW.

Buffy2424

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »
Love it.
I had a coconut hershey's kiss not one minute ago. 

Joannie81

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »
I love it, but didn't realize it until after I grew up.  My mother didn't have it around, because my father didn't like it and if he didn't like something, she didn't make it.  It was easier than listening to his nasty comments.  So, after I grew up I was somewhere that had it.  I tried it and loved it.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 09:30:05 PM »
I am insane for coconut, smell, flavor everything. I'll eat it however I can get it...but I love those Whitman chocolates with the coconut center...mmmmm.
My mother on the other hand would rather jump off a cliff than go near anything coconut. She literally gagged when she took a shower after me one morning and could smell my coconut bodywash in the shower.
And yes, it was LIME-coconut....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 09:38:58 PM »
I'm talking about the dried, shredded stuff.

I'm just trying to get a sense of how many people do/don't like coconut.  I was thinking of doing a dessert that calls for it, but I have always been squeamish about serving guests coconut.  I have some sort of perception that it is one of those things, like fish, that is generally not served unless you *know* people like it.  I'm wondering if that is really the case.

Do you eat it?

heheh  Does this recipe also call for frosting? I am making cupcakes, with pink, blue and orange colored frosting, and I am going to sprinkle green coconut on top (colored with food coloring) and add some of the colored almonds that look kinda like easter eggs.  So cute!

But I dont personally like coconut, so I am going to make a few without it - just frosting and 'eggs'...
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou