Author Topic: Bad dinner party topics of discussion!  (Read 9944 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Bad dinner party topics of discussion!
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »
She's clean now but Ithink her years of hard living have taken a toll on her health and memory.

Not to mention her sense of judgement.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »
Do not bring up an unpleasant news story that you just read before coming over as a conversation topic. "Hey, did you guys hear about the news story where.....", and it's something really graphic, gross, offensive. This happened at a dinner I went to on Friday night. Fortunately some of knew what he was going to talk about before he could get too into it and we spoke up and nipped it in the bud before he could continue. Definitely not dinnertime conversation.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »
Don't be Debbie Downer.  If you've seen the sketch on SNL, she's the one who can take any subject and bring up something horrible and depressing.  It is a really funny sketch sometimes- the one where they were at Disneyland was really good.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2007, 11:12:44 PM »
One Christmas I had to listen to him talk about the history of eating utensils, starting all the way back at the caveman days and going to present day. It was a very looong Christmas dinner.  :-\

OK, I must be tired, because when I first read this, I thought, WHY would people want to eat utensils, wouldn't that be uncomfortable? Then I read it again, lol!

Jules

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2007, 02:34:23 PM »
Graphic descriptions of critters your pet has killed and brought in as a gift to you.
That incident taught me a lot. Cat people and non-cat people really don't live well together.

One of my Golden Retrievers once brought me a baby bird - still alive and held very gently in his mouth. He was very proud of himself. My other Golden herded a baby rabbit to me in quite the same manner. My current Golden did the "follow me thing" of going to you and walking away and coming back. Then he showed me how he could make a toad jump if he nudged it with his paw. Sorry for the off topic but I just wanted to express I am really glad they haven't brought me anything dead!! haha

P.S. Excessive talking about one's pets in general, when it not a topic shared by those present but "mommy boasting" can be tiresome in the same way excessive talking about one's children can be! I must stop myself when I accidently do this  ;)
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2007, 02:56:35 PM »
One of my Golden Retrievers once brought me a baby bird - still alive and held very gently in his mouth. He was very proud of himself. My other Golden herded a baby rabbit to me in quite the same manner. My current Golden did the "follow me thing" of going to you and walking away and coming back. Then he showed me how he could make a toad jump if he nudged it with his paw. Sorry for the off topic but I just wanted to express I am really glad they haven't brought me anything dead!! haha

P.S. Excessive talking about one's pets in general, when it not a topic shared by those present but "mommy boasting" can be tiresome in the same way excessive talking about one's children can be! I must stop myself when I accidently do this  ;)

I had a female golden retriever/white shepherd mix years ago.  My ex & I also had 3 cats & lived in a semi-rural area so there were mice around.  GingerBear once protected a mouse from the cats, cuddling it between her front legs & under her head as she lay down.

I took GingerBear with me to feed my quarterhorse mares who lived nearby.  She would eat the grain, too (a tasty blend of rolled oats, molasses, & other grains).  When I found a mouse in the grain bin, I overturned the bin, throwing the mouse onto the ground where GB snatched it & snapped its neck in an instant.  Then she dug up the mouse nest & executed the dozen baby mice before they could get out of the paddock.

She was cool with mice until she caught them eating her food, then the Shepherd half took over & she became a mouse killing machine.  Small children could still lead her around by the tongue  ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Buffy2424

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2007, 04:17:30 PM »
Peasncues, I fear being one of those pet-talkers.  Sometimes I find myself telling my mom a funny story about the cats and then cutting it short because I remember that hi, my mom famously dislikes animals. 

Most topics really don't bug me as much as people bragging shamelessly. 

How much longer they work compared to all the lazy people in their office.  How much more they've travelled than everyone else at the table.  And just how harder it is to be them.  Yawn. 

Whoops.  Sorry for the modification! 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:20:55 PM by Buffy2424 »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2007, 07:18:30 PM »
How much longer they work compared to all the lazy people in their office.

Arrggh!!

We have one of those at work. I was talking to her the other day about a gentleman who was helping us out. She said "You have no idea how much time it saves us over in X department!"

Cue me picking up my jaw off the floor.

"Um, yes, I DO, actually. We have the exact same job."

"Oh, but...." and she went off on a litany of how I just didn't know how much harder it is to be her, in her department, etc., etc.....

Seeing as how her department is right next to mine... and she has very little to do sometimes... there went my jaw again. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
we have a medical family too

nurse, surgeon, coroner, research, you name it,

I have heard it all at the dinner table.  Sometimes even with pictures!
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

kathrynne

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2007, 08:56:10 PM »
we have a medical family too

nurse, surgeon, coroner, research, you name it,

I have heard it all at the dinner table.  Sometimes even with pictures!
I would find this endlessly fascinating. DH would turn multiple shades of green, but then he'd probably faint so the conversation could continue.  ;)

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2007, 09:14:01 PM »
yeah - the autopsy tapes were ----- interesting....... to say the least.

and I will not say any more on it
Reality is for people who lack Imagination