Author Topic: Classic Faux Pas: Bridesmaids Drafted To Write Thank You Notes !!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 24838 times)

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
I wonder if the bride made her BMs greet all her guests too? Afterall, all that walking around in one's gown can really tire you out!!  >:D

Heck, I'll bet the MOH had to go on the honeymoon for her- you know how exhausting those can be.   >:D >:D

couchpotato

When I originally read that submission, my first thought was how could the bridesmaid write polite thank yous that made the bride and groom look like a pair of donkeys? I really wish some of the forced note writers had written notes like:

Dear Aunt So-and-so,

Bride & groom wanted to thank you for the lovely crystal bowl you gave them for their wedding. They will think of you whenever they look at it.

Sincerely, bridesmaid

That kind of thank you would be polite but there would be no mistaking who wrote it. Could you imagine all the messages the happy couple would on their answering machine when they got home from their honeymoon? Especially if all the bridesmaids followed suit. 

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
When I originally read that submission, my first thought was how could the bridesmaid write polite thank yous that made the bride and groom look like a pair of donkeys? I really wish some of the forced note writers had written notes like:

Dear Aunt So-and-so,

Bride & groom wanted to thank you for the lovely crystal bowl you gave them for their wedding. They will think of you whenever they look at it.

Sincerely, bridesmaid

That kind of thank you would be polite but there would be no mistaking who wrote it. Could you imagine all the messages the happy couple would on their answering machine when they got home from their honeymoon? Especially if all the bridesmaids followed suit. 

ooh . . . I love that!!!  >:D

twinkletoes

Dear Aunt So-and-so,

Sincerely, bridesmaid

Mwuahahaaha!  Love it!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Or, you could totally wreck the bride's social life, thus:

Dear Uncle Floyd:

Thanks for the $100. I suppose we can put it to good use. I thought, though, that you were the RICH uncle. Uncle Philbinn on MY side gave us significantly more.

Love, Bride.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250

Dear Uncle Floyd:

Thanks for the $100. I suppose we can put it to good use. by puuting it towards my bail in my upcoming theft caseI thought, though, that you were the RICH uncle. Uncle Philbinn on MY side gave us significantly more.

Love, Bride.

Asharah

Yes, these BMs ARE held hostage -- no food til you're done w/ my homework, basically.  You might have to give in . . . what if everyone else at the table is totally willing to do it?  Is it ok to be only one refusing?  What if you drove w/ someone else, and don't have $$$ for a cab, and there's no bus . . .
Although, if one person refuses, maybe it might inspire the rest to follow suit. One can always hope.
Asharah

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
Dear Aunt So-and-so,

Sincerely, bridesmaid

Dear Uncle Floyd:

Thanks for the $100. I suppose we can put it to good use. I thought, though, that you were the RICH uncle. Uncle Philbinn on MY side gave us significantly more.

Love, Bride.

Good saphie is appalled.

Evil saphie wants to buy all of you a drink...   >:D

Buffy2424

She could have thanked the bride for her generosity.  Wow, giving me all your shower gifts?

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette

I was going to post that the 'maids should have just been snarky.

But I see I am too late.   Oh well, maybe next time.

To be honest-

I really don't believe this story because it would be way too easy for one disgruntled slave bridesmaid to do some serious reputation damage.

Did the bride double check the notes before they went into the envelope or something?

Sibby

I wonder if the bride made her BMs greet all her guests too? Afterall, all that walking around in one's gown can really tire you out!!  >:D

No one ever made me do it, but I must say when I was MOH I made a point of greeting or chatting with every single guest (about 100).  When I was a bridesmaid, it was a larger wedding (about 250), but I tried my best to meet & greet all.  Altho never specified as one of the BM 'duties' I personally felt as a wedding party member it was the right thing to do.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Asharah, I agree that just saying "no" does not equate to making a scene.  It is quite possible to gently push the box away, stand up, and say "sorry, I'm not doing this."

But I can see where these sort of things happen - people don't want to say no (eg, "How can I say no to my best friend of 10 years?"), or they're afraid they'll be seen as a "mean" person.  And sometimes, the rudeness is just so incredibly shocking, that people just go along with it because they're literally stunned over the whole thing.  On this forum, it's so common for someone to say "I wish I had been thinking - I would have told (rude person) to get bent."  Yes, people need to grow a spine (spines?), but I can also see where they just go along with the rudeness.

I can see your point twinkletoes, but in this instance, the BM's had two hours to stand up for themselves - it wasnt an instantaneous thing.  Moreover, if one does not stand up for themselves, or isnt looking for advice on how not to let it happen again, imo, one loses the ability to complain about the situation, because it then becomes their choice to be complicit in whatever situation they find themselves in.  I dont mean to be mean about that, and I fully recognize that the submission site is for the sole purpose of complaining about it after the fact, but in principle, I just dont have sympathy for those (myself included) who arent able willing to stand up for themselves when they are clearly being taken advantage of.  Shyness, or non-confrontationalness, is totally understandable, but again, I just cant be sympathetic to someone that says "I could never stand up to her, can you imagine what the response would be??" but I can be sympathetic toward someone that says "I am so shy, and afraid of the response if I stand up to her, but I dont want to be taken advantage of like that again.  What do I say next time that is non-confrontational, but gets me out of the situation quickly?" I hope that makes sense. 

I myself have a problem thinking quickly, and so when I go into a situation where I might be put on the spot I try to put up my guard, and I always take my time responding, even if I have to change my mind during the course of the conversation (for a real or imagined reason).  Then, when I do get taken advantage of, I replay the situation in my mind, imagining better responses, and resolve not to do it again.  Inevitably it happens again though!  :(

Anyway, it's just my opinion, and probably not worth very much...
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Georgie

Re: Classic Faux Pas: Bridesmaids Drafted To Write Thank You Notes !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 01:45:42 AM »
Why would you want to turn down Bride's fun offer?  The 70 thank you notes would go by awfully quickly, since you wouldn't have to concern yourself with spelling, punctuation, accuracy..you know..all the little things that typically
slow a writer down.

Dear Ant May,
    Thanks for the kettle.  Where's the rest of my gift?
   Bride

Dear Fred and MaryJeanJane
   Thanks for the toaster.  I love toast I eat it for breakfast everyday.I like to putraspberry jam on it but the seeds get stuck on my teeth so I usualyy put pair jam on it.
Bride

THANKs
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:49:47 AM by georgie9811 »

Shortcake

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 11:05:13 AM »
georgie, Now that would be fun!  >:D
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Asharah

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 05:02:36 PM »
Just for the record, anybody who asked me to write thank you notes for them would regret it. My penmanship is atrocious. I'd call it chicken scratch, but the chicken would do it better. My doctor has more legible handwriting.  ;D
Asharah