Author Topic: If you haven't been able to access the forum from your computer...  (Read 23523 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
...assuming you haven't been banned.  But if you were, the forum software wold give you polite message that you were banned when you tried to access the forum. 

But for those people whose home computers cannot seem to access the domain or forum at all, try this test....

Below are instructions for testing whether your DNS has received the correct information for resolving the address of www.etiquettehell.com.

Under Windows, press the Start button.

Select Run.

Type CMD and press enter.

At C:> prompt, type nslookup www.etiquettehell.com and press enter

The result should look something like:
C:\>nslookup www.etiquettehell.com
Server:  dslrouter
Address:  192.168.1.254
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    etiquettehell.com
Address:  72.21.37.206
Aliases:  www.etiquettehell.com

The numeric Address entry under the Name entry should read 72.21.37.206 if your DNS server has received the update.

If you are not getting this, the DNS name change has not yet propagated to your name server and you might need to contact your provider to find out why this has not yet occurred. 

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
Re: If you haven't been able to access the forum from your computer...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:26:05 AM »
From Sparksals in another thread:

I have had the same problem for the last few days.  I had access from my home computer, then none, then got in and then shut out again.  This is the answer I got after some digging:

Go to start -> Run -> type cmd -> and then type ipconfig/flushdns

The information may not have left the DNS server at your ISP.  The above command will clear it out.  I didn't have to reboot either.  FWIW, I'm using Qwest, so I know Twik isn't since she's in CAnada, so it's not a single ISP issue.

Hope this helps for others!

Edited to add from Sparksals:

I finally solved the problem after being in tech chat with my ISP thinking that there was an IP problem.  It was so frustrating not figuring this out.  The tech guy had me reset my modem as temp files can be stored in there.  I didn't know that.  Anyway, that didn't work. 

I searched help forums for SMF and posted  a question.  They gave me a simple command

Go to start -> Run -> type cmd -> and then type ipconfig/flushdns . 

It worked!

He said most likely my ISP (Qwest) was holding onto the old page for some reason on their DNS server.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:27:58 AM by Ehelldame »

War_Doc

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »
That seems to have done it.  Ran another DNS test and no errors came up this time so it looks like things are back to normal for the moment.

Edited:  Nevermind, same errors are coming back again.  Something is going on with that server and DNS propogation.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 02:19:20 PM by War_Doc »
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »
The latest news is that it appears to be a problem with the domain registrar and it's server which makes connecting to the domain for some people an on again, off again experience.  My own tech support guy could not access the entire domain yesterday when previously he could. 

All I can say is, we're working on it.   "Leave no man/woman behind" is the Ehell motto in this context! 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:37:18 PM »
Well, the plot thickens.  I don't know if it was an across the board outage, but I had no problem getting access early last night, but later on, I got the dreaded page not displayed.  I cleared cookies, temp files and did the flushdns.  Didn't work.  *sigh*

Then, got up this AM and it worked. 

War_Doc

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 09:57:37 PM »
All the problems you describe are not a problem on your end, it is a problem with the authoritative DNS server and it's ability to resolve IP's when propogation is shaky from downstream.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

AdakAK

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »
All the problems you describe are not a problem on your end, it is a problem with the authoritative DNS server and it's ability to resolve IP's when propogation is shaky from downstream.

That sounds very much like what DH told me when I thought Ehell was down for a week.  Something about it pointing incorrectly?

I think he forced our IP lookup somehow, he explained it but it was too technical for me.  Ehell works now?  It will keep working?  Problem solved, that's all I need to know.

He did some poking from our end and I can ask him for the technical details if it will help.

Susan

Stormtreader

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 05:37:07 AM »
This is happening for me again after the new server change (DNS Fail message).
Did anyone find how to fix it? Ive tried flushdns, hasnt helped :(

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:05:47 AM »
I think you are just going to have to wait until the DNS propogates.   I am really sorry...I had no idea the IP address would change when we changed to a new server because we weren't chanigng host providers, just switching to a larger machine.  It wasn't mentioned beforehand and I just assumed that the data would move to the new server and we'd keep the same DNS numbers.

I wonder how many other people are having problems accessing the forum?

Well, hopefully this is the last server upgrade for a long time. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 12:31:36 PM »
When I saw the upgrade notification, I thought, "OH NO!!!" because I had the DNS failure for a very long time during the last upgrade.  I had absolutely no issues on this one. 

Stormtreader - did you also delete your cookies?  When I had the problem in the past, I only deleted ehell cookies.  After I deleted all of them, did the dnsflush and then rebooted is when I was able to gain access.

caroled

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 05:22:05 AM »
Hi

I wasn't sure where to post this, so maybe this will get thru to the right people.

Recently I have had to change my internet server from ATT/Yahoo to Mozilla Flamingvixen.
Because of this , I have had to reload all my bookmarks, etc.... as ATT was not supporting them anymore and thay had all been lost.

In trying to get onto the forum, I have been admitted as a guest. When I try to log-in, it will not recognize me. I put in my user name/e-mail address, and hit forgot password ( as , sadly my short term memory is testing my patience :-\
The site tells me that user name is invalid and I can get no further. I can enter thru ATT, but it is a total pain to use it only for E-hell, and the other server for all my other needs.

Can  anyone help??? I'd like to be able to use my user name and access the site.
Anything   that will help will be greatly appreciated.

Caroled

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »
Hi

I wasn't sure where to post this, so maybe this will get thru to the right people.

Recently I have had to change my internet server from ATT/Yahoo to Mozilla Flamingvixen.
Because of this , I have had to reload all my bookmarks, etc.... as ATT was not supporting them anymore and thay had all been lost.

In trying to get onto the forum, I have been admitted as a guest. When I try to log-in, it will not recognize me. I put in my user name/e-mail address, and hit forgot password ( as , sadly my short term memory is testing my patience :-\
The site tells me that user name is invalid and I can get no further. I can enter thru ATT, but it is a total pain to use it only for E-hell, and the other server for all my other needs.

Can  anyone help??? I'd like to be able to use my user name and access the site.
Anything   that will help will be greatly appreciated.

Caroled

I sent an e-mail to E-Hell Dame for you - sometimes its easier to e-mail a mod than wait for them to see the problem in a thread. 

Good luck!

Persephone

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 06:52:47 PM »
So it's not just me then.

I can't access this forum at all via my new netbook. It uses Internet Explorer but the OS is Windows 7. I can google the site but when I click the link it tells me the website address cannot be found. Oh well.

Sapphire23

• I'm a smart cookie!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »
I can't get to EHell on my work computer today.  Went into my bookmarks and clicked on the link for EHell and something different came up.  A page with links for different religons and religious etiquette. ??? I cleared cookies and everything thinking that would do it but nope. I can access EHell fine from my phone... Anyone else ever have an issue like this? Any advice or suggestions???
Never make someone a priority, when they only make you an option.

EMuir

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »
I had this problem and I solved it by adding one of the Google DNS servers to my list of DNS servers, 8.8.8.8. 

If you don't know how to do that, here's a relatively easy thing to try in Windows:

Go to the Start Menu, select "Run", and type "cmd".

Type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes of course) and hit Return.

You can then close that window.   That might help if the information on your actual computer is out of date.  You shouldn't have to reboot.  Good luck!