Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1011375 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9660 on: August 25, 2014, 04:08:27 AM »
Here in Maryland by law students have to be in school for a specific number of days each year.  So theoretically, if school starts early, they can get out earlier in the summer. 

However, if days are missed because of the weather, then they have to stay in school extra days to make them up.  For example, the 2009-2010 school year we had a quadruple whammy.  "Snowmageddon" caused massive school shutdowns all over the state.  That led to possibly having many extra days at the end of the year to make those up.  The state legislature had to approve the kids not getting all of their make up days, otherwise they would have been in school until early July. 

oogyda

« Reply #9661 on: August 25, 2014, 07:15:34 AM »
 In Virginia, school is not allowed to start before Labor Day.  This is known as the "King's Dominion Law" (King's Dominion is a large amusement park).  The law allows for this park and several others to stay open past Labor Day and bring in the most tourist tax dollars they can squeeze out of a summer.  Much of the work force in these seasonal places is teenagers.

However, many counties obtain waivers so that they do start before then.  So, it ends up that counties in the eastern part of the state from the interstate to the shore start after Labor Day, while the rest of the state start earlier.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #9662 on: August 25, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »
In Virginia, school is not allowed to start before Labor Day.  This is known as the "King's Dominion Law" (King's Dominion is a large amusement park).  The law allows for this park and several others to stay open past Labor Day and bring in the most tourist tax dollars they can squeeze out of a summer.  Much of the work force in these seasonal places is teenagers.

However, many counties obtain waivers so that they do start before then.  So, it ends up that counties in the eastern part of the state from the interstate to the shore start after Labor Day, while the rest of the state start earlier.

This makes me very puzzled, because my neighbors have already gone back to school?  I always thought they went to the local public school, but maybe they go to a private school, or refer to their daycare as "school."  Interesting!  I'd heard somewhere that school started after Labor Day here but never really connected how early they mentioned going back and whether that means they aren't in public school (or does the law apply to private schools as well?).  In that case, maybe they're referring to daycare (they do before and after care) as school.

When I was a kid in the 80s, my elementary school was not air conditioned.  When I was in middle/high school in the 90s, my school was, but not all schools in the county (this was in Maryland) were.  So if the temperature got over a certain level, kids were sent home, because it was considered not safe to have so many children crowded into a school where the windows only open that little crack.  I *think* the whole county may have eventually gotten air conditioning.  I wonder if that's a factor in when the county decides to start school.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #9663 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:01 PM »

This makes me very puzzled, because my neighbors have already gone back to school?  I always thought they went to the local public school, but maybe they go to a private school, or refer to their daycare as "school."  Interesting!  I'd heard somewhere that school started after Labor Day here but never really connected how early they mentioned going back and whether that means they aren't in public school (or does the law apply to private schools as well?).  In that case, maybe they're referring to daycare (they do before and after care) as school.

When I was a kid in the 80s, my elementary school was not air conditioned.  When I was in middle/high school in the 90s, my school was, but not all schools in the county (this was in Maryland) were.  So if the temperature got over a certain level, kids were sent home, because it was considered not safe to have so many children crowded into a school where the windows only open that little crack.  I *think* the whole county may have eventually gotten air conditioning.  I wonder if that's a factor in when the county decides to start school.

I'm in NOVA and my DD's (public) school started August 4. It's on a modified calendar.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver