Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1253497 times)

greencat

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6075 on: July 25, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
I did pass by that checkout very slowly due to my morbid curiosity.  Cake Woman had found her voice and was in an animated discussion with the manager.  The manager was shooting looks at the cashier, who was standing there in what I call the "Whatever" pose, doing the open mouth gum chew and twirling her hair.  Poster child for PD.

I wonder if this was a teen who was forced to get a summer job and was doing all she could to get out of that summer job.  I have a hard time seeing how anyone could do something like that.

However, something similar happened to me.  I whipped into the store to pick up an Emergency Birthday Cake and found something suitable in the generic cake section.  This was a round layer cake that was decorated and under a plastic dome.  Took it up front and placed it gently on the belt.  Cashier picked it up and turned it over to find where the bar code was (it was on the side, so you didn't have to do that, good grief).  This cashier realized that she had done something, and had someone go fetch another cake to replace it, amid many apologies.  This was at the same chain as the other cake episode, but in a different location.  My cashier had only a momentary lapse.

I forgive people errors that they immediately notice and correct - after all, we are all human, and we all do really stupid things every once in awhile.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #6076 on: July 28, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »
The only possible excuse is that she may have been told that barcodes had to still be attached to the original item, to keep someone from handing over a barcode for a cheap item in place of a removed original that would have revealed a much higher price.  But insisting that a barcode that was removed in front of her had to be put back, and then abusing Cake Lady's purchase?  No excuse at all.  I would be putting the voice training to work to call the manager without bothering with the PA system.

Also, surely she was trained on what to do with a customer comes through with a custom cake!  Now, granted, someone might have forgotten that part of her training and she might genuinely have not known what to do. But surely, common sense would tell you don't flip a cake upside down. If she truly had never seen a customer come through the line with such a cake before and didn't know what to do, she should have called her manager and asked.  I really hope she doesn't have a job anymore, and that why she doesn't gets around.
Any kind of baked goods, really.  Generic decorated cakes out of the cooler, pies, pecan rolls, etc. Even cookies can be broken and mooshed throwing the box around.

Very true!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6077 on: July 28, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Wayne Brady on Let's Make A Deal asked contestants "what's the best part of your job." The contestant who was a nanny cheerfully answered "I get paid under the table!" Smart move, honey  ::)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6078 on: July 28, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »
Wayne Brady on Let's Make A Deal asked contestants "what's the best part of your job." The contestant who was a nanny cheerfully answered "I get paid under the table!" Smart move, honey  ::)

Ouch.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #6079 on: Yesterday at 10:23:27 AM »

Um, not any more she won't!  >:D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6080 on: Yesterday at 12:23:59 PM »
One of my co-workers came in one morning happily telling everyone her son finally got a job.  And then she would say "And the best part is he's being paid under the table so he gets to bring home a full paycheck!".

Yikes.  I guess some folks don't realize that's not legal.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #6081 on: Yesterday at 01:53:21 PM »
An ex-BF of mine was paid that way, but he kept careful records.  At tax time it turned out that his boss was claiming to have paid him way more than he actually was paid.  (He quit that job.) 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6082 on: Yesterday at 03:39:23 PM »
My MIL will proudly regale you of the 20+ years she was paid off the books. What I can't get through to her (and others) is that is 20 years of Social Security payments you did not make.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6083 on: Yesterday at 03:59:09 PM »
My MIL will proudly regale you of the 20+ years she was paid off the books. What I can't get through to her (and others) is that is 20 years of Social Security payments you did not make.

YES!! and then they complain that their SS payments are too low. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #6084 on: Yesterday at 04:56:13 PM »
Yes.  I'm paid as a contractor, which means that nothing is taken out of my check, so I'm very careful to keep things paid up, like Social Security and taxes.  I figure it's better to be too careful than not careful enough when it comes to taxes, etc.

Shalamar

« Reply #6085 on: Yesterday at 06:12:14 PM »
When my husband and I were looking for someone to build a deck for us, we asked a potential contractor if he'd give a discount if we paid cash.   All we intended was to save the guy the hassle of dealing with a cheque that might bounce or a credit card that would charge him a fee.  Unfortunately, he took "pay cash" to be a synonym for "pay under the table", and he got extremely offended.   Rather than explain ourselves, we just went on to the next contractor.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6086 on: Yesterday at 07:01:53 PM »
It would be slightly different if MIL and others I know had handled their investments to insure their futures, but that is not the case.

Coralreef

« Reply #6087 on: Today at 11:03:27 AM »
Several years ago, DD's ex boyfriend got a part-time job.  He and his father were thrilled that he was paid under the table.  Until I pointed out that :
1) if an accident happened, he would not be insured by his employer or the work safety board, even if he was disabled,
2) he would not have access to unemployment insurance,
3) if there was any problem at work, he had no recourse, because he was not an employee,
4) no social benefits,
5) if the job site was inspected by the work board, he and his employer would be in major trouble (it was in some construction related field, very regulated).

I don't remember if he took it or not, but I was not impressed with the father.

[/right

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6088 on: Today at 12:50:56 PM »
I don't know if this will go down as PD but this person is certainly showing their backside and people are not impressed.

I work for someone who is very difficult. 

Travel arrangements are never good enough (the hotels we are supposed to use are inferior and he always has to book a suite of rooms he found through a friend or something and it's just a general pain in the patootie to get everything arranged.  But management approves it so I have to.)

Expense reports are littered with inaccuracies and non-expensable items and when you flag them, he'll argue to the death about why he needs to expense those items.  I usually refer him to our finance department and they will back me up but generally leave me to police his reports.  It's exhausting. 

His favorite trick is to take his girlfriend on business trips and pretends she wasn't there yet tries to expense all of her incidentals.  Then he acts shocked and outraged when I call him on it.  Sorry.  It just looks weird when he constantly expenses $$ meals for 2 when he's the only one listed on the receipt.  But it was the drug store receipt for tampons that gave him away.  We can't expense that stuff anyway.  I digress.

Due to increased workload, someone else did his expenses for me a couple of days ago.  And boy howdy was he up to tricks.  My coworker did not just fall off the turnip truck and called him on every bit of it.  When he tried to argue with her, she went right to his boss to make sure that account would pay for these bogus expenses before she turned it into the head of finance to approve.  (She has a long working relationship with boss so she could get away with this and it didn't look like tattling.)

Boss is not a happy man.  And Pain just found himself under a microscope.

I realize I'm quoting myself but I just wanted to share the happy news that Pain has decided to explore greener pastures.  The going away party will commence 5 minute after he departs.   ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6089 on: Today at 03:15:34 PM »
I don't know if this will go down as PD but this person is certainly showing their backside and people are not impressed.

I work for someone who is very difficult. 

Travel arrangements are never good enough (the hotels we are supposed to use are inferior and he always has to book a suite of rooms he found through a friend or something and it's just a general pain in the patootie to get everything arranged.  But management approves it so I have to.)

Expense reports are littered with inaccuracies and non-expensable items and when you flag them, he'll argue to the death about why he needs to expense those items.  I usually refer him to our finance department and they will back me up but generally leave me to police his reports.  It's exhausting. 

His favorite trick is to take his girlfriend on business trips and pretends she wasn't there yet tries to expense all of her incidentals.  Then he acts shocked and outraged when I call him on it.  Sorry.  It just looks weird when he constantly expenses $$ meals for 2 when he's the only one listed on the receipt.  But it was the drug store receipt for tampons that gave him away.  We can't expense that stuff anyway.  I digress.

Due to increased workload, someone else did his expenses for me a couple of days ago.  And boy howdy was he up to tricks.  My coworker did not just fall off the turnip truck and called him on every bit of it.  When he tried to argue with her, she went right to his boss to make sure that account would pay for these bogus expenses before she turned it into the head of finance to approve.  (She has a long working relationship with boss so she could get away with this and it didn't look like tattling.)

Boss is not a happy man.  And Pain just found himself under a microscope.

I realize I'm quoting myself but I just wanted to share the happy news that Pain has decided to explore greener pastures.  The going away party will commence 5 minute after he departs.   ;D

Ha! He should try working for my employer.

One of my colleagues had to travel through a blizzard to reach his customers. He ended up going off the road into a ditch, and required a tow truck to get out. He tried to expense it.

The company said that going off the road was not company policy, and therefore was not expensable.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."