News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 04, 2015, 11:13:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small Appliances Just Don't As Long Last Anymore!  (Read 857 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Small Appliances Just Don't As Long Last Anymore!
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:36:30 AM »
I was making tea & noticed that only half the water was ending up in the measuring cup with the tea bag, when I went to empty it out (Black & Decker Brew n Go), a little black part a little bigger around & a little shorter than the brass that holds a pencil eraser on the end of the pencil fell out...I tried putting it back in one way & then the other.  There must be something missing.  We hadn't owned it five years yet (I will grant that I bought it used - so it might have been a over five years old when it died).  The other coffee makers all have the smell & discoloartion from coffee oils that will not wash out (or bleach out) - so they don't work nearly as well for making hot water for tea.

I've noticed this in other threads - in other parts of the world we use a kettle to heat up water, but people don't seem to use them in the US? Wouldn't a kettle be easier to travel with than a coffee machine with lots of moving parts that are easy to lose?

I'm sorry that this is off topic, it's just been bugging me for a while.

You might be talking about an electric kettle.  As a rule, IME, we use the stove top kettle in the US.  I've never seen anyone I know using an electric kettle.  I believe a ton of coffee is consumed here so having a coffee machine is very convenient as it completes the entire brewing process for us with one unit.  Using a kettle means having to have several other items available.

Yes, I meant electric. Thanks for that. It makes more sense to me now.

It never occurred to me to have an electic kettle until I read the old thread about them. Now that I have one, I use it quite a lot. (I'm in the US)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 11:43:20 AM »
I am horrified! I just rinse the cone.

As do I, and put it in the DW every now and again. alhtough she hasn't done it in a while, so perhaps she's managed to break that habit!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 11:48:27 AM »
I try to buy all metal appliances if possible. My Kitchenaid 5 qt stand mixer, Oster blender are both all metal, with cast metal parts.

Same with my sewing machines. I'll kill a new machine in months, but my trusty 60-80-100 year old all-metal machines just keep powering along.

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 12:24:07 PM »
Not sure if it was mentioned but cell phones..my original one I got about 14 years ago worked until we switched..the ones after that I am lucky if they work 2-3 years..without going kaput..my current one we got insurance on and had to replace it 3 times already since it kept breaking..with gentle use. They make things more cheaply so people have to replace it sooner so they get more money out of you and save money on the production ...win - win for them

FauxFoodist

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 02:13:01 PM »
Now, if i could just break her of the habit of cleaning the cone with Dow bathroom cleaner!!! Yes, she does that. Drives me nuts. I don't care how well you rinse it, you don't use cleaner you use on your toilet and shower for something you drink out of!

That's rather gross and sounds like a cross-contamination issue.  DH once had been cleaning the bathroom with something foamy then touched his toaster oven, leaving some of the foamy stuff on it.  I told him he was contaminating his toaster oven without washing his hands first, and he responded with, "My hands are clean; this is cleanser."  I hadn't take a food safety and sanitation class at that point so I didn't have the correct word to explain why he was wrong.  Once I learned the word "cross-contamination" and what it meant, I sure did go back and explain to him why that was a problem.  In your mom's case, it would be considered a chemical cross-contamination issue.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 02:34:24 PM »
Now, if i could just break her of the habit of cleaning the cone with Dow bathroom cleaner!!! Yes, she does that. Drives me nuts. I don't care how well you rinse it, you don't use cleaner you use on your toilet and shower for something you drink out of!

That's rather gross and sounds like a cross-contamination issue.  DH once had been cleaning the bathroom with something foamy then touched his toaster oven, leaving some of the foamy stuff on it.  I told him he was contaminating his toaster oven without washing his hands first, and he responded with, "My hands are clean; this is cleanser."  I hadn't take a food safety and sanitation class at that point so I didn't have the correct word to explain why he was wrong.  Once I learned the word "cross-contamination" and what it meant, I sure did go back and explain to him why that was a problem.  In your mom's case, it would be considered a chemical cross-contamination issue.

Oh I totally agree. My mom, shall we say, has some issues with food safety, etc. She'll leave things out for longer than I'm comfortable with, she will keep things well beyond their sell by dates (i do to, but i have my limits). But no matter how much I tried to explain to her it shouldn't be done, she continued. But like I  said, i have not seen her do it in quite some time, so either she realized she didn't need to, or someone else, probably her cleaning lady, said something to her about how gross and nasty it was.

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 03:54:48 PM »
A few years ago, we decided to replace the giant chest freezer that came with our house (no one wanted to try to move the thing).  It was probably 50 years old, still running well, I was just was tired of losing things, and standing on my head to retrieve things from the bottom. :)

Heh, I had one of those.  It was big enough to store a couple of bodies and still have room for the TV dinners, but I had no idea what was in the bottom third.  When I finally cleaned it out around 2005, there were a couple of packages dated 1958 on the bottom.  It took three big men to get that thing out of the basement, and that was only because they took off the lid first.

But, yeah, it isn't just the small appliances.  The refrigerator purchased a few years ago already has a broken handle on one of the vegetable drawers.  Its predecessor lasted 12 years before the motor died.  The one before that worked for around 20. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 04:37:24 PM »
My parents bought a freezer in 1960.  It needed the wire to the plug replaced in 1992 (I remember because it was as old as one brother and we moved later that year - VorGuy had a job interview while I was cleaning the huge chest freezer after the wire broke from being moved a dozen or so times from house to house over those 32 years).

Once the wire was replaced and the spoiled contents were cleaned up - it got plugged back in and it cooled off amazingly quickly.

It still got donated to a food pantry, as we were moving (he got the job & we moved out of state). 

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

dawnfire

« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 08:35:31 PM »
I try to buy all metal appliances if possible. My Kitchenaid 5 qt stand mixer, Oster blender are both all metal, with cast metal parts.

Same with my sewing machines. I'll kill a new machine in months, but my trusty 60-80-100 year old all-metal machines just keep powering along.

my sister still uses a singer treadle machine that belonged to my grandmother. That machine must be at least 70-80 years old and still going strong.

catwhiskers

« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 09:04:10 PM »
This thread has scared me. I've lived here fifteen years and apart from microwave (twenty years old) and tumble dryer (bought a new one last year) all my appliances were bought just after I bought the house. I'm now hoping everything isn't going to die en-mass.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:45:57 AM »
There's a trade-off, though - most newer appliances are MUCH more energy-efficient than the old ones, especially since many things lose efficiency as they age. I do think there's some truth to the "we throw things out rather than fixing them" argument, but it's also true that a lot more people can afford "luxury" appliances than they could a generation ago. Almost everyone has a refrigerator of some sort; ditto for home computers in most income brackets. Part of the reason things don't last as long now is because we pay much less for them than we used to.

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: Today at 09:47:44 AM »
There's a trade-off, though - most newer appliances are MUCH more energy-efficient than the old ones, especially since many things lose efficiency as they age. I do think there's some truth to the "we throw things out rather than fixing them" argument, but it's also true that a lot more people can afford "luxury" appliances than they could a generation ago. Almost everyone has a refrigerator of some sort; ditto for home computers in most income brackets. Part of the reason things don't last as long now is because we pay much less for them than we used to.

This is an important point.  Price is what attracts customers.  If a customer is looking at two refrigerators with similar features, odds are that he will choose the cheaper one.  Things like a more reliable motor simply don't show, and on-line reviews won't reveal that the cheaper model's motor will die in 5 years because the models change more often than that.  As a result, the company that makes the better model loses sales unless they also cut corners.  Now throw in the fact that appliance manufacturers have merged or been bought out, so that you don't have the competition.  (Fridgidare, Whirlpool, and I think Amana and Kitchenaid are all owned by the same company.)

Having said all this, I still hate my current refrigerator.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: Today at 11:03:15 AM »
Same with mattresses. I know the one i replaced last year, i believe when I bought it, the conventional wisdom was it should last 10 years. I pushed mine, and it was 19 years old when I got rid of it.

Definitely notice the difference in my new one, but now, advice is they last maybe 7 or so years. Of course different factors etc. come into play, but even so, I'm not too thrilled at having to shell out all that money more often!