News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 12:04:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread  (Read 247883 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« Reply #2070 on: September 27, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »
Oh, I have stupid-ed myself into the ground on more than one occasion.  I just seem to be able to read the signs better these days, for some reason.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Chez Miriam

« Reply #2071 on: September 27, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »
Oh, I have stupid-ed myself into the ground on more than one occasion.  I just seem to be able to read the signs better these days, for some reason.

That clearly makes you much smarter than me! ;) ;D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

vintagegal

« Reply #2072 on: September 28, 2017, 08:34:10 AM »
Finally after 6 months in this apartment, I dug out the gallon of paint that was left in the closet and touched up the bathroom walls. They are half beadboard and the previous painter did not get into all the nooks and crannies, which I did with a Q-tip. I also painted the bedroom door, which someone had half-heartedy gone over with flat white paint. I did it all in gloss white, looks much better now.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2073 on: November 04, 2017, 08:34:01 PM »
It has been a very busy few weeks.  We've been building a retaining wall and are starting to backfill the area with crushed stone to make a pad for a shed we are having delivered in a few weeks.  And we've been trying to get our garden beds finished, with enough rows to prevent the dogs from being able to jump up and into them.  One is done, except for the stones that need to be cut and the other is about 3/4 done.  We get the soil next week and will top them up.  The one bed has some strawberries and rhubarb transplanted into it so we can build a new bed for those come spring.  It'll get used for other stuff next summer and then the strawberries and rhubarb will get transferred back over in the fall.  I'll be planting garlic down the middle of the bed that has them in it right now, as soon as we finish topping up the soil.

With DF's Mom's help, the remainder of my vegetables are harvested and washed, ready to get packaged for storage.  Beets, carrots, turnips, rutabaga, parsnips, cabbage.  I'm hoping to get time to make some soup this week.  I love parsnips in soup, especially pea soup.

I'll still be working on getting my flower garden beds tidied up and looking good, with lots of mulch.  I'm hoping that we'll get a nice day for our wedding in the spring and be able to take some pictures, in the garden, with spring flowers up.  Fingers crossed!

If the weather stays like this from now to Christmas, we have a fighting chance to get everything done.   :P
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2074 on: November 04, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
This wasn't today but yesterday: Cleaned my whole house in three hours

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2075 on: November 05, 2017, 11:48:43 AM »
Friday, VorSon & I cleaned the guest room (MusicMan and MusicWoman are visting their daughter & her family on the other side of Houston for the weekend) and his old room for Ambrosia Hino (DD) and her family to use when they got to our house on the way home from Grandpa's sick bed (turned out that he is going to live a little longer - yay! 

Washed sheets & towels (on shelf for unknown period of time since last use for one bed & other company had been using the guest room for the last few weeks), made up two beds, and had room for the grandkids, the SIL, and DD for the night...and then washed the sheets again (other company coming back Sunday) after she ran a couple of loads of wash (they'd had no time to "catch up" on laundry at Grandma's - one kid is in toilet training...accidents mean laundry).  Nobody wanted to drive for two days with that kind of laundry in the vehicle...

I'm now motivated to see how fast I can get that room cleaned up (when I get back from my mother's house - she's in chemo) - it needs the carpet cleaner - which I have to get back from MusicFamily.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

vintagegal

« Reply #2076 on: November 05, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
made 5 little cup custards after having a dream about doing so last night. I used to make them for DH, he was messing things up in my dream. But I think he wanted me to make them.

mmswm

« Reply #2077 on: November 08, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »
Bird food.  I usually try to manage things so I never run out of more than one type of bird food at the same time, as their food is pretty labor intensive to make.  They get two dishes.  For breakfast they get "chop", which is finely chopped veggies mixed with grains and legumes, and for dinner they get birdie bread, which is an unsweetened cornbread base with oatmeal, plus a bunch of finely chopped veggies and pureed fruits mixed in.  There's two different versions of each to meet the different dietary requirements of different birds.  The cockatoo with liver disease and the just barely not obese amazons get low fat versions and the underweight macaw, who has higher fat requirements to begin with, has a richer, higher fat version of each.  So that's four different dishes that I make.  I generally make about 2-3 months worth of each at once, portion into bags that will last about 4 days, and then freeze.  I ran out of three of the four dishes.  I have been in the kitchen literally all day.  I started at 8:30, took a half hour break for lunch, and finally got all the bags into the freezer at 5:30.  I am exhausted.  Remind me not to run out all at the same time again.

These birds eat better than I do.  I started with two of these plus two butternut squashes, some carrots and zucchini (there's spinach, kale and parsley under all that)

And ended with this, 9 hours later.

I'm quite impressed with myself for plowing through all of that in one day.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

kudeebee

« Reply #2078 on: November 09, 2017, 02:33:55 AM »
We have been doing a major clean-out in our house--closets, cabinets, extra pieces of furniture.

Today i have been taking pictures of items that I want to list on Facebook.  I have created a grid with the different sites I use and printed it out.  I will list the  items in my spreadsheet, then check the sites in the grid.  This helps me keep track of what is listed and where.

Tomorrow I will finish the filing and shredding--in time for recycling pickup this Friday!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2079 on: November 09, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »
I got here Tuesday.

I looked at Mom’s sewing machine and determined that it might be cheaper to replace it than to get it rebuilt...error code that was flashing means ‘take me apart and replace a gear and/or a sensor’.  It cost less than $200 when new...a suitable replacement for mending could be found for less than $125...prices have gone down in that range.

I also looked at Sister in Law’s machine and it is running just fine now.  So Mom can get her mendingdone and Younger DN can get a sewing lesson, if she wants to use it.

There are two more sewing machines in the house, their cabinets are in use as end tables...so the machines are not in use at all...no telling what they might do if they were to be plugged in.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?