News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 26, 2017, 12:00:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 274794 times)

Lulubelle

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #1335 on: May 08, 2017, 07:45:05 AM »
I went thrifting this weekend with my DD.  We each found shirts at Goodwill that still had their original tags.  Mine originally cost $40, and hers was originally $25.  They were both marked down to $1.  She'd been looking for a pair of regular rise jeans, and we found the perfect pair (also $1).  They fit her like a glove, and they had very little wear on them. 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1336 on: May 08, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »
Not from a thrift shop, but I found lovely fabric pleated shades for four of the windows in the house, and they don't require hardware!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1337 on: May 08, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
So i went back to the Rack; and scored a pair of Doc Martens in my size for $10. Sadly though, the style wonít work for me, so going to try and list and resell. I did get a pair of Sperry duck shoes for $15, and my fave, which Iím hoping I can resell high, a very pricy pair of rag & bone boots, orig. retail $575, for $43. Currently selling on the r&b website for 290. Weíll see. Larger size too, so I think that will help too.

vintagegal

« Reply #1338 on: May 09, 2017, 07:21:45 AM »
Been looking for lace curtains for my windows, found 3 pair for $2 a pair - two pair for the LR windows and one curtain each for the smaller windows upstairs.

gmatoy

« Reply #1339 on: May 12, 2017, 02:11:20 AM »
Not a thrift store, but the neighbor brought over everything* her one year old son had out grown for me to go through and take for my DD who is due in June. She refused to take anything for it. I had been restrained, so she was taking quite a bit back home, so I loaded the big box onto a luggage carrier that I had. She laughingly said, "I need one of those for when I'm going to do a Tupperware party."

So I gave it to her. She was so happy and I was glad to do something for her.

* Everything she had left after she gave her father's girlfriend (who is only a few years older than she is) all the color neutral things for her little girl. That baby is my neighbor's new half-sister. Last night she was telling me stuff that made me think that if it were in a book, no one would believe it! Neighbor is the nicest person, so what she dealt with as a child is mind blowing.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1340 on: May 12, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
I almost forgot; on one of my thrifting trips (Salvation Army) i found a practically brand new pair of Kork-ease platform sandals. The kind o really wanted back when I was about 12, in the late 70's and my mom absolutely refused to buy me. They're a size 8, and I wear a 9, but i had to try them on, and they fit me perfectly! a little bit of  cleaning, and I'm keeping them. Paid $2 and they retail for $140.

Elisabunny

« Reply #1341 on: May 12, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »
I took MiddleDaughter to the thrift store to find something for the prom.  She originally was thinking of just a fancy blouse to go with a skirt she already owns (not going as a date, in a group of friends).  But I convinced her to look through the "high end" section.  She ended up with a gorgeous, beaded satin, floor-length dress for $35!  Then I spent another $50 for various skirts and tops, including a quilted silk jacket, for her and her tag-along sister, and a blue tie with skulls for my husband.  ;D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

ladyknight1

« Reply #1342 on: May 13, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
I want the tie!

I found a bin of clothes in the garage, moved from our old garage, with lots of clothes I can't wear, but some I can. I'm washing them and will hang them up. Nice to find "new" clothes you forgot about!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

z_squared82

« Reply #1343 on: May 15, 2017, 08:39:59 AM »
I have been looking for a very specific pitcher for about a year Ė ever since I found out it existed. (Libby glass, amber colored, Country Garden pattern.)

I found it last Saturday at St. Vincent de Paul for $3.

Chibikoky

« Reply #1344 on: May 15, 2017, 10:18:24 AM »
The other day, a lovely deep teal blue London Fog long trench in excellent condition, size 14, marked at $10.99. My friend gasped because he's wanted one and knew they retail for $100-$140. I'm losing weight but nowhere near that yet, but for the price figured I'd take it as an aspirational piece (and perhaps see if my mom would like the use of it in the meantime). It's always nice to try on something a couple sizes too small while I'm losing weight and see how it fits better and better week to week! Brought it up to the register- yellow tags were 99 cents. Definitely worth it for that!

Also, we're doing a cosplay of Dipper and Mabel from Gravity Falls, and found an blue vest (also yellow tagged) and a very reasonable purple skort with the necessary straight lines!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1345 on: May 15, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »
A friend's 50th birthday party is the end of the month.  It is Hawaiian themed and DF and I don't own anything like that.  So off to Value Village we went.  We got each of us a Hawaiian shirt - genuine, by the tags, a pair of black dress pants each, 8 books for DF and a Hawaiian style shirt that was for local sports team that a coworker of DF's is a huge fan of, all for $70.  Coworker was thrilled!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Browyn

« Reply #1346 on: May 15, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »
I have a very high instep - so a "tall" rather than just a wide foot and large calves.  I have a terrible time finding boots that fit.

http://www.bcoutlet.com/  I found a pair of brown boots, extra wide, plus a wide calf, in my size.  Originally $284.99  clearance plus a retailmenot.com coupon and I paid $23.94 including shipping.  Less than 10% of the original price.

And I love Savers.  My son is 12 and growing out of a size every three months*.  I joke I am renting his clothes, as I donate what he has outgrown and get a discount on the next ones I buy from them.

*beginning of 5th grade he was wearing a boys 12, middle of 6th grade now and he is in a men's medium.  6 sizes! (12 14 16 18 Sm Md)

ladyknight1

« Reply #1347 on: May 19, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »
I bought a very nice wood armchair with a gold upholstered seat for $20. I found two area rugs and a door mat for $12 total.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1348 on: May 19, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
Khakis for my new job.  3.19 including tax!  ;D