News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 05, 2016, 11:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who has an Instant Pot?  (Read 1219 times)

Ser Lucien Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
Re: Who has an Instant Pot?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 05:35:10 PM »
We've got a knockoff brand and will soon be getting the real thing. We've made rice, jambalaya, hard-boiled eggs (yes really!), pork chops and applesauce so far. (For the record - the applesauce? Divine. :D)

There's a Facebook group for the Instant Pot, if you use FB. They share recipes and tips.
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

NFPwife

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 08:22:03 PM »
Mel The Redcap - mine is a Philips All In One cooker that we got from Harvey Norman, they're about $~200 but there's $30 cashback from Philips at the moment if you want one!
Thanks - the Good Ethnic Boy's kneejerk reaction is "heck no, pressure cookers explode!" so I may have to work on him a bit. :P

Mine said the same thing! It took forever to get the first one in the house. Now he's a huge fan. Especially since the 50-60 hardboiled eggs he eats (in a week) are done in under an hour.

POF

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 08:29:04 PM »
I have one !

I have a stovetop pressure cooker ( I asked for an instant pot for XMAS - but DH felt this was better  :-\ ). I used the stovetop for a few years - but bought myself one this spring with a few saved up amazon gift cards. 

I really like it - I cook chicken on the bone and make stock, I cooked a turkey breast that was great.  I've made pork chops, beef tips, butternut squash soup and corned beef  - all under pressure. 

I usually make my boiled egg on the stove - so haven't tried those.

Oh ye - made beef and broccoli using some on sale round steaks ( I made the beef part in the cooker and then did the broccoli separate.

I haven't had much luck with the rice cooker - anyone care t give me some hints. 

I do find that mine takes a bit to get to pressure - but I like that I can leave it ( unlike the stove one ).

I highly recommend it. ( And I am not an electrical appliance / gadget type person ! )

POF

soonerangel

• Teresa's Threads Etsy Shop
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 09:51:12 PM »
I bought one on Prime day. I mostly use it for mashed potatoes - and wow, do the mashed potatoes taste good! I think they taste better because they're not soaking in water that leaches out the flavor. Sometimes I throw some eggs in with the potatoes to have hard-boiled eggs on hand.

Yesterday I made chicken noodle soup - sauteed the onions and veggies, added raw chicken and some chicken stock, let it come up to pressure and cooked it for seven minutes. Perfect.

I expect to use it more as the weather gets cooler. I want to try some bean soup with ham hocks. Yum!

Could you share either your recipe for the mashed potatoes or where you found it?  Thanks!!

RevMaxx

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 09:55:15 PM »
OK, ya got me ;) .  I had a four hour phone call with my states-far-away-BFF the other day where she was praising this gizmo. Now I do a fleeting ehell check-in and see this post. I go check this item on amazon, even though I am shifting away from electronics as much as possible. Had to have it {cringe}.  Ordered, arrival in a few days.

Me looking at myself in the mirror:  ::)

Fleeing away from the forums to the honey-bottling area. D@)#%it!  And now I need ink cartridges for the honey labels. Grrrr
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »
I haven't had much luck with the rice cooker - anyone care t give me some hints. 

What isn't it doing right?

If the rice is coming out gluey, bubbling out the vent, or has a 'skin' on the bottom of the pot, it's got too much extra starch and you can fix that by rinsing the rice in cold water before cooking it. I dump it into the cooker insert, run in just enough water to cover it, then sort of scrub it around with my hand; then I run in more cold water, pour most of it off, and repeat until the water isn't cloudy any more.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

POF

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »
The rice is very overcooked, blown out and mushy.  I did use the auto rice button - but it really seemed like it took too long 

How do you cook your rice ( type, rinsing, etc. )   Thank

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 10:08:01 AM »
You might need to reduce the amount of water you're using - a lot of rice cookers don't use a timer, they cook until the water has mostly boiled off / absorbed, so if there's too much water it'll cook too long.

...I honestly don't know what sort of rice we use! It's medium- or long-grain white rice, the Good Ethnic Boy buys a big bag whenever we run out and we transfer it into a large glass jar.  :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

soonerangel

• Teresa's Threads Etsy Shop
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
I have one !

I have a stovetop pressure cooker ( I asked for an instant pot for XMAS - but DH felt this was better  :-\ ). I used the stovetop for a few years - but bought myself one this spring with a few saved up amazon gift cards. 

I really like it - I cook chicken on the bone and make stock, I cooked a turkey breast that was great.  I've made pork chops, beef tips, butternut squash soup and corned beef  - all under pressure. 

I usually make my boiled egg on the stove - so haven't tried those.

Oh ye - made beef and broccoli using some on sale round steaks ( I made the beef part in the cooker and then did the broccoli separate.

I do find that mine takes a bit to get to pressure - but I like that I can leave it ( unlike the stove one ).

I highly recommend it. ( And I am not an electrical appliance / gadget type person ! )

POF

On the rice - if you can find the recipe book that came with the instant pot, I have just used the jasmine and basmati rice recipes that are on one of the first pages of that recipe book.  It's come out perfectly every time so far - the basmati takes some soaking, but it's been great!  It uses the manual setting rather than a rice setting according to that recipe book.

PlainJane

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 08:27:31 AM »
just in case...

The water to rice ratio is wildly different when making it in the IP as opposed to stovetop. I used to do a 2 (water) to 1 (rice) on the stovetop. In the IP it's 1plus a little more to 1. It's a closed system so no water boils off (although some does condense underneath the lid).