News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 05, 2015, 02:54:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fitness bands - what do you use?  (Read 2283 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Fitness bands - what do you use?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 10:04:19 AM »
On Thanksgiving, I noticed my friend was wearing a band that looked like more than a watch. He has the Microsoft Band, which syncs with any type of phone, Android, Windows or Apple. I'm going to the Microsoft store at our mall in a few weeks to see which size works best for me and DH.

http://www.wareable.com/microsoft/microsoft-band-features-release-date-price-faq

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 10:13:16 AM »
Let us know how you like it, if you could? I looked at that one; for me that would be a purchase for a time other than the holiday budget crunch.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »
I will. My friend loves his. You do need to charge it every two days, but that is worth it for the GPS and constant heart rate monitoring.

Breezygirl

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
I have the Jawbone UP24,  I spent about two weeks reading and watching a ton of reviews on all the fitness bands before choosing my Jawbone. It's amazing, I've had it two months and have lost 25 pounds. It is said to have the best app and integration with other popular fitness apps and the Health app on iPhone. It's battery last fourteen days, it sends data by Bluetooth and gives you live notifications to your smart phone all day of your progress if you want.

The new Jawbone 3 will monitor heart and many more things, coming out soon and available to order on their website.
Someday, somehow, somewhere.....

IWish

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »
I used the Body Bug for two years and loved it. Note that it is worn around the upper arm using an elastic band so that is a negative. What I liked about it and have not found in any other wrist devises is that it doesn't just calculate movement or forward movement. Thus, it tracks all types of workouts such as stairmaster, lifting weights, etc. It also tracks the intensity of your movement so it can calculate calories burned on say, a high intensity elliptical workout versus an easy one. Also, it knows the difference in effort and calories between doing sprints versus running at an easy jog pace. Not sure how it does this, but I think it was some sort of electrical impulses, skin temp, movement, and pulse (although it does not give heart rate info.) You buy the devise and then pay a monthly subscription fee to use their software, enter food intake, etc. Can be used with an iphone app. It does not monitor sleep, except for the fact that if you move around a lot in your sleep it will show more calories burned during the night.

To me, the advantages were that it tracked every type of activity plus the intensity. The disadvantages were monthly dues and wearing on my arm (not very professional while at work if wearing short sleeves.)

If I could find a Fitbit type devise that tracked everthing my Body Bug did, I'd buy it immediately.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
I have been researching them and will be buying the Garmin Vivofit band. It is water proof to ~30 feet, so I can wear it when swimming. I like the interchangeable bands and the movement monitor, which warns you if you have been sedentary too long.

I found a refurbished one on eBay and ordered it. I'll post with updates.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 12:55:05 PM »
Bought the misfit shine a few weeks back. Wear it like a watch.

Hardly ever take it off. Have swum with it on. Loving it so far. Really like the sleep tracking feature.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »
I think the Fitbit Charge HR measures heart rate.  I don't think the other Fitbit models do.

songbird

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
The Fitbit Charge HR and the Fitbit Surge monitor heart rate.  The Charge, the Flex, the Zip and the One do not monitor heart rate.    I have a Charge -- it's a strap on your wrist -- and a Zip -- it's a clip that can be worn at the waist.    the Charge monitors sleep, the Zip does not.  Fitbits are water resistant but not approved for swimming, though I have heard some people wear their Flex in the pool. 

It's a great motivator.

AfleetAlex

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
I'm really enjoying the new feedback. I've had the Misfit Flash since November, but I wouldn't buy another one. (It's cheaper than the Shine, which is heavier-duty.) The plastic band that the Misfit 'disc' goes in cracks with very little provocation, so I'm on my second band. I'm actually also on my second disc since the first one quit working after two months with little notice.

The Misfit reps have been very nice and they replaced the disc and band for no cost but I'm just going to need something sturdier in the long run.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 01:37:33 PM »
I love the vivofit, but it has limitations, it doesn't carry notifications from your phone or measure heart rate. I absolutely love the sleep tracking feature. I will be buying a vivosmart for DH.

half_dollars

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 05:29:18 PM »
I'm really enjoying the new feedback. I've had the Misfit Flash since November, but I wouldn't buy another one. (It's cheaper than the Shine, which is heavier-duty.) The plastic band that the Misfit 'disc' goes in cracks with very little provocation, so I'm on my second band. I'm actually also on my second disc since the first one quit working after two months with little notice.

The Misfit reps have been very nice and they replaced the disc and band for no cost but I'm just going to need something sturdier in the long run.

Their shine is much better!  I had one for almost 2 years with no troubles at all, until it got caught and flew across the floor and broke into pieces.  I immediately preordered the Swarovski Shine (love the bling!) and went through 4 flashes in the 2 months (bought 1, the other 3 were replacements from their customer service) until the new shine arrived.  Had I not had my positive experience with the shine, I wouldn't ever want to get another Misfit product. 

AfleetAlex

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 10:31:29 AM »
I'm definitely planning to upgrade to some sort of fitness band with a heart monitor, at some point (when finances permit). The Flash is just a holdover until then. Glad to hear the Shine is much better!