News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 20, 2017, 01:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2512618 times)

Kiwipinball

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #8610 on: September 09, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »
IMO the milk might be "iffy" but the meat and eggs would be fine. It's not like they were sitting outside unwrapped in the summer sun.

If it's below 80, eggs are fine if they are let sit out for a week or so.  When it gets to be 100 out the eggs sweet a bit which can allow bacteria in, and of course, if they are fertile, you start to risk them hatching if you leave them sit for 3 weeks or more.

Eggs can be left unrefrigerated? I didn't know that. What about the expiration date? Are eggs still good after that?

I think this only applies to eggs that haven't been washed to remove the protective coating they're laid with. Almost all storebought eggs have been washed and have to be refrigerated.

In the US. Some other countries don't and then sell their eggs not refrigerated. Which absolutely freaked me out the first time I saw it. I figured it had to be okay since it was obviously intentional (all their eggs were just on shelves, not like someone just left one somewhere). But it looked and felt as wrong as seeing milk out on shelves would have.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8611 on: September 09, 2017, 10:04:01 PM »
Even in the US, where our milk spoils in hours and our eggs are washed, eggs don't go bad that fast. You can keep them two or three days at room temperature and they'll be fine.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #8612 on: September 09, 2017, 10:12:03 PM »
Good to know. :) I honestly thought they go off faster than that.
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

pattycake

« Reply #8613 on: September 10, 2017, 08:10:12 AM »
Your eggs are in the retail chain a lot longer than you think! I can't remember where I found a video on it, but they can be in the system for probably a month before they hit the store shelves, and still be good for a couple of weeks. Here's how to tell if they're okay to eat, even if they are past the best before date (remember, best before has to do with quality, not that it is definitely bad after that date)

"Just fill a bowl with cold water and place your eggs in the bowl. If they sink to the bottom and lay flat on their sides, they're very fresh. If they're a few weeks old but still good to eat, they'll stand on one end at the bottom of the bowl. If they float to the surface, they're no longer fresh enough to eat."

We get eggs fresh from a farm, and they put the date they were laid on one egg in the flat and I have yet to have a problem with them a month after that date.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #8614 on: September 11, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »
Drunk Jelly. Saw them featured on some listicle in early July.

When I first started reading this, I was still in "terms of customer/server endearment" brain mode, and I thought, "Drunk Jelly? What a weird thing to call someone."  :-\

Clearly, I need more coffee.  ;D

I just did the same thing. Here, it's Monday Brain.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #8615 on: September 18, 2017, 08:02:14 AM »
Drunk Jelly. Saw them featured on some listicle in early July.

When I first started reading this, I was still in "terms of customer/server endearment" brain mode, and I thought, "Drunk Jelly? What a weird thing to call someone."  :-\

Clearly, I need more coffee.  ;D

I just did the same thing. Here, it's Monday Brain.  ;D

Ha. I'd call someone that. (Not professionally, though!) ;)

On a related note, I got an e-mail over the weekend. They've realized they can't keep up with their orders and have taken the liberty of canceling my order. Which is nice, because I now won't have to monitor my bank statement relentlessly, but also fairly annoying. And they started their e-mail with, "Dear Valued Drunk Jelly Customer"...