News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 05, 2015, 05:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 314766 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #1755 on: January 29, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »
3 of my 4 classes are mixed mode. With online assignments, discussion groups, lectures as well as one weekly class meeting each. We are already seeing SD in action with the number of students that either don't come at all or spend the entire class on Snap chat with their friends.

One class takes attendance and attendance is part of your grade. 25% of your final grade.
The other two classes have case studies or lecture in class that are not available online.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1756 on: February 05, 2015, 07:25:57 PM »
The one class that takes attendance and attendance makes up 10% of the final grade. There are quizzes throughout the semester. None of this class is online.

About 1/3 of the students only attend on quiz days, and several of them didn't know anything about the 5 simple concepts on the quiz, which have been covered repeatedly in class.

I nominate the three that stood in the hall after the quiz and complained that they didn't know what was going to be on the quiz. We were told in class.  >:D

Adelaide

« Reply #1757 on: February 05, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »
I had a group project where part of our grade depended on conscientiously managing our time. Four of five of us could say our piece in 10 minutes, and the fifth guy kept bothering us over text, email, etc, about how it was going to be too long, we were going to run out of time, etc. We were all really confused and said so, and also emphasized that we all knew we could be done quickly. He kept worrying and worrying and we all found out why when the project was due and he spoke for twenty-five minutes, and we got our grade docked.  >:(

Coley

« Reply #1758 on: Yesterday at 07:52:29 AM »
I just caught another student attempting to take a short cut in her research paper by recycling portions of a paper she submitted last term in a different course. This isn't just garden-variety recycling. It is very significant for this particular assignment and represents a serious misrepresentation of her work. She got a zero.

Naturally, she has e-mailed me to say that she is experiencing severe anxiety as a result of the zero and she will do "ANYTHING" (her words and emphasis) to get a grade for this paper. I'm sure she is anxious about having an F in the course now, but that's the risk she took with her short cut. She's willing to do "ANYTHING" to fix her problem now that she has been caught, but she wouldn't have had a problem if she'd done the required work the first time.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1759 on: Yesterday at 08:00:59 AM »
We are experiencing a large amount of absenteeism in my one junior and three senior level classes. This has affected their grades on exams and other projects. I still have at least 5 students pleading for class notes just before the exams. No.