Author Topic: What sentimental/heirloom item will you keep forever?  (Read 1970 times)

faithlessone

Re: What sentimental/heirloom item will you keep forever?
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 10:03:41 AM »
My mother's Christmas Tree Angel. Her dress was made from the scraps left over when my gran turned her wedding dress into a Christening outfit for her eldest daughter (my mum). When Mum got married, the Christmas Tree Angel was given to her for Christmas. It sits on top of our family Christmas tree every year, and spends the rest of the time in an archive-quality, acid-free tissue-paper-lined box. Very special. ;D

Eventually, I'll get my Mum's engagement ring. They got engaged in 1983, and it's a very similar ring to the famous Princess Diana one (which now adorns Duchess Kate's finger). However, that wasn't the reason my dad picked it. My parents met when my dad literally crashed his glider in my grandparents' field. My mother came running out of the barn to check he was okay, and it was love at first sight! So he bought her a sapphire ring, surrounded by diamonds, because he "fell out of the sky".  ♥♥

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »
My parents met when my dad literally crashed his glider in my grandparents' field. My mother came running out of the barn to check he was okay, and it was love at first sight! So he bought her a sapphire ring, surrounded by diamonds, because he "fell out of the sky".  ♥♥

That is incredibly sweet.  And romantic.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

faithlessone

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »
My parents met when my dad literally crashed his glider in my grandparents' field. My mother came running out of the barn to check he was okay, and it was love at first sight! So he bought her a sapphire ring, surrounded by diamonds, because he "fell out of the sky".  ♥♥

It's also very funny when you hear my aunt tell the story. As she has it, my mother pushed her over, so she could get to the fallen glider first! Considering my aunt is my dad's age, and my mum 6 years older... ;D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »

It's also very funny when you hear my aunt tell the story. As she has it, my mother pushed her over, so she could get to the fallen glider first! Considering my aunt is my dad's age, and my mum 6 years older... ;D

LOL.  Yes, that is very funny.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
This will sound silly compared to some of the things others have posted, but for me it is a small plastic Mickey Mouse statue.

Dad was in Viet Nam in 1969 and during his travels on the way home, he bought me a MM watch in an airport. It came with the little statue. I'm almost 50 and it still sits on my dresser.

Sometimes, the smallest and cheapest things that seem to be worth nothing to others are the items that hold the most powerful memories. 

For several years I worked with an eminent archaeologist.  He always said that 90 per cent of the value of an object was in the story behind it. That's the value of your Micky Mouse and value it truly is.

I agree. I don't know how old you were then, but I know I was 4, and having my dad gone for that long would have been horrible. The fact he came back safely makes it so much better, and I agree; sometimes its the smallest things we treasure the most.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 11:22:11 AM »
*the Christmas children's books that we've had since my brother and I were babies. Mom still liked to read them every year.

That reminds me, someone gave me a new copy of "Twas The Night Before Christmas" that has really nice illustrations but I have a hard time departing from the Golden Book version that was read to me by my Granddaddy when I was a little girl. :)

I also plan to hold onto my Harry Potter books. :)

I have a paper version, more like an oversized card, of "Twas The Night Before Christmas" that my parents gave me, on my first Christmas, when I was less than a month ol.d Its ripped and tattered, but my mom wrote a note on it, so I treasure it, even in its very ratty state.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
I have a lot :)

Stuffed animals:
My first teddy bear. I was born in Dec, about two weeks before Christmas, and my grandmother bought me what Iím pretty sure is a Steiff teddy bear. Which I vaguely recall used to squeak, but thatís long broken, and the button in its ear is gone, but there is a depression where it probably was. I played with it so its well worn, even kind of tattered in places, but I love it. like this one, and wow, Iím amazed at how much they go for now! http://www.rubylane.com/item/588596-H-00315/1950s-10-Inch-Shaggy-Frosty?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=productfeed&gclid=CMKTsaCZ1r0CFW5eOgodKhEAqQ

A yellow dog my aunt knitted for me, also for my first Christmas. Its gross now, the foam stuffing is breaking down, and at one point I tried to color eyes on with a marker. I also have a photo of my mom holding me, and the dog, next to the Christmas tree. But Iíd like to try and restore it if I can.

A small, stuffed hedgehog my dad brought me back as a teen, from a business trip. I still recall the card, even though I think I donít have it anymore. He wrote in it ďone prickly thing deserves anotherĒ He and my mom used to joke how when I was a baby, I was prickly, and would even then, "push" her away when she tried to snuggle me.

I also have a really cool plastic cup, with a cat on it, probably from the 60ís, that was in my grandmotherís medicine cabinet, and now is in mine. Itís nothing special at all, but I remember loving it as a child, and now Itís mine. I keep my tweezers etc in it.

I also have a couple small furniture items my dad made for me, from kits, but now that heís gone theyíre not going anywhere. One is a small end table, the other a curio shelf.

I also have my dadís HS ring and my great grand-fatherís signet ring. His name began with the same letter as mine, so while itís a manís ring, I could wear it. Itís gold ,with black onyx, and an old English ďEĒ on top of it. I also have my great-grandmotherís wedding band, which is a wide gold band, with both of their initials ďsolderedĒ on top, on top of each other, so its kind of a cool design, and if you look carefully, you can make out each of their initials.

I have a ton of little things too, some silly, and some more meaningful, but to me, they ALL are.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2014, 11:52:31 AM »

A small ivory crucifix that my great great grandfather sent to his daughter (my great grandma) from France during WWI. He never made it home, so it's a very special thing indeed. I'm so terrified of losing it that the only time I've ever worn it is to my great grandma's funeral.

Mikayla

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2014, 08:22:09 PM »
Teenyweeny's reminded me of one.  It was my granddad's letters home when he was sent to Auschwitz at the end of WWII.  (I've never figured out how or why this happened, because I'm pretty sure American troops weren't sent to that particular camp, but he was there).

Growing up, my mom's parents were 2nd generation Dutch, and that house was filled with delft.  We spent a lot of time there and some of my happiest memories are of that home.  I have two tiny little plates and also delft salt and pepper shakers.  I also have a much larger plate that hung on the wall and is an actual painting.

workingmum

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2014, 05:40:56 AM »
My grandfather's coffee cup. It was bought for him the day I was born (I'm the first grandkid). It originally had on it "World's Best Grandad" and its mock mother of pearl. I was always fascinated with the pretty colours as a child. I don't use it now, but it's in my cupboard, and when I'm missing him a lot, I take it down and take a big sniff of it... yes.. sniff. He always had a shot of rum in his afternoon coffee, and I swear I can still smell it!

When he died, DD was also given one of his spanners.. he was a mechanic. That thing has pride of place on her bookshelf along with one of his pipes. I have some of his sheet music framed on my living room walls too.

My gran's service medals, the cameo brooch her best friend bought her as a wedding gift (this belongs to DD, but i am taking care of it until she is old enough), and I hope DD keep the quilt gran and i made her when she was a baby. I will also always keep my first pair of pointe shoes that she bought me.
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

Dawse

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2014, 11:19:59 AM »
My grandma's kitchen scales. They're an old fashioned style in cast iron and bronze. They belonged to her mother, who ran a sweet shop sometime between the first and second world war. They must be getting on for 100 years old, and they're the best scales I've ever used for baking. I don't know if that's actually true, or I just think they are, because we used to use them to make cakes and scones when I was little, but they have pride of place in my kitchen and they're staying there forever.

I also have a cameo ring that was the same grandma's sixteenth birthday present from her parents (that would have been 1941), and her fake-fur coat from the seventies. I love that coat. It's kind of like this http://www.shinystyle.tv/wp-content/gallery/fur/cropped-faux-fur-car-coat-ts.jpg but in very dark brown. I always admired it as a kid when she got it out of the wardrobe to show me, and now it's mine. I wear it quite a lot, and think of her every time. That coat's going nowhere.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

CharlieBraun

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
My great-grandparents' wedding bedcover. It's hand-made lace in green and white silk threads.  They were married in 1906, so it's over a hundred years old.  While it's not fragile, I am tender with it.
"We ate the pies."

Vall

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »
I really enjoy reading about all of the sentimental things that people keep.

I have my mother's wedding rings and a hand painted bowl that my mom had.  I also have my grandmother's Mennonite cookbook.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2014, 03:00:32 PM »
Teenyweeny's reminded me of one.  It was my granddad's letters home when he was sent to Auschwitz at the end of WWII.  (I've never figured out how or why this happened, because I'm pretty sure American troops weren't sent to that particular camp, but he was there).

Growing up, my mom's parents were 2nd generation Dutch, and that house was filled with delft.  We spent a lot of time there and some of my happiest memories are of that home.  I have two tiny little plates and also delft salt and pepper shakers.  I also have a much larger plate that hung on the wall and is an actual painting.

Per the bolded: I live in NJ, and there is a lot of Dutch colonial history here. The homes from that era are amazing, and one of my favorite features are the original delft tiles on the fireplaces. *drool*  :)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
Oh, I'm a big mush bucket.

My grandmother's engagement ring - it is a "flip" ring.  A cameo on one side and the it flips on a hinge and there's a plain onyx on the other.  I also have her pin watch.  It looks like a tree branch and the watch face hangs in the middle.

The star sapphire necklace that belonged to my favorite aunt who passed 10 years ago.

My late MIL's cedar check.  It's a very old Lane cedar chest (late 1940's-early 1950's).  She gave it to me when DH and I got engaged.  I will pass it to whomever DS marries.  Also the sweaters and afghans she knitted for all of us.

The green silk pajamas with gold dragons DH brought back from a trip to Singapore for DS when he was two.