News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 02, 2015, 03:35:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1587415 times)

SoCalVal

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #7335 on: Yesterday at 03:49:06 AM »
Not PD, but not a very good move either.

DS is the marketing director for a med spa; they perform things like Botox, laser treatments, lip injections, etc. He saw somewhere that Big Celebrity had a procedure performed at her local spa, so he started planning an ad along the lines of 'BigCelebrities have this treatment!  Get it at our spa!'.  He went out to the website of the spa that had performed the service - and the before and after pics they use to illustrate it are pics from his spa!  How does he know for sure?  The model is the daughter of one of their technicians, and they have the original video of her receiving the service, datestamp and all. 

He let the company attorney know about it, and the pictures were taken down.  But seriously - you would think that a spa that catered to Big Celebrities would be able to afford their own before and after models.

This reminds me of an incident a few years ago.  I was still living in San Diego but had come up to NorCal to visit a friend.  While at the airport, I picked up a magazine for LocalCity.  While looking through it, I came across a picture of someone that looked oddly familiar so, when I got to my office (in SD), I asked my coworker if that were a picture of her friend (and roommate).  It was!  The only thing is the picture in the magazine was advertising for a stand-alone store in LocalCity.  However, the picture was taken for another stand-alone business in SD where CW's friend worked (her boss asked her to model some of the clothing in the store).  CW was aghast and contacted her friend.  Friend was aghast and contacted her boss (the storeowner).  Storeowner was furious and, I believe, contacted LocalCity magazine about publishing a picture Storeowner owned the rights to and without Storeowner's consent (I believe the LocalCity store was actually the one that supplied the picture).  I don't know what ended up happening, but I'm guessing that LocalCity store (one small business) never figured that anyone from SD store (a completely unconnected small business) would ever see a small ad in LocalCity magazine using one of SD store's pictures so figured they could get away with it.  Sucks to be them!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7336 on: Yesterday at 01:53:11 PM »
There was also the Judith Griggs affair of a few years ago.  Ms. Griggs did not know about the long arm of the Society for Creative Anachronism, or that someone in New England would recognize a stolen article and contact the author.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:02:29 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Cherry91

« Reply #7337 on: Yesterday at 03:55:48 PM »
There was also the Judith Griggs affair of a few years ago.  Ms. Griggs did not know about the long arm of the Society for Creative Anachronism, or that someone in New England would recognize a stolen article and contact the author.

??? The nerve! To completely steal an article, and then when you get caught, get snotty and claim that not only do you have every right to do so, you made the original article (that you had no right to) better and in fact the writer should be paying you for your plagiarism! The arrogance is strong with this one!
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7338 on: Yesterday at 05:22:08 PM »

??? The nerve! To completely steal an article, and then when you get caught, get snotty and claim that not only do you have every right to do so, you made the original article (that you had no right to) better and in fact the writer should be paying you for your plagiarism! The arrogance is strong with this one!
Oh, it gets better.  The original article is a look at historical apple pie.  The writer quoted two medieval apple pie "recipes"* then did modern redactions of them. 

The "editing" that Griggs did was to correct the spelling and grammar of the original Middle English!

*Recipes is in quotes because they aren't like modern recipes, with lists of ingredients and weights/measures of each one.  More like "Take apples and cut them up, add cinnamon and sugar and put them in a pie shell.  Bake in a hot oven."
into books first.

Cherry91

« Reply #7339 on: Yesterday at 06:48:49 PM »

Oh, it gets better.  The original article is a look at historical apple pie.  The writer quoted two medieval apple pie "recipes"* then did modern redactions of them. 

The "editing" that Griggs did was to correct the spelling and grammar of the original Middle English!

*Recipes is in quotes because they aren't like modern recipes, with lists of ingredients and weights/measures of each one.  More like "Take apples and cut them up, add cinnamon and sugar and put them in a pie shell.  Bake in a hot oven."

*Facepalm* That makes her condescending attitude even worse!
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7340 on: Yesterday at 06:51:51 PM »

I was actually one of the volunteer editors who scoured the web to find other instances of her plagiarism and add it to the Google Doc.  I made 3-4 online and real life friends through that affair. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7341 on: Yesterday at 07:10:32 PM »

I was actually one of the volunteer editors who scoured the web to find other instances of her plagiarism and add it to the Google Doc.  I made 3-4 online and real life friends through that affair.
Good for you, PG!

I helped nail a plagiarist who had stolen an applique quilt pattern from a US designer whose work I like.  The thief lived in Australia, and the designer was told that she'd have to pursue the copyright infringement there.  Financially, that wasn't going to happen.  I was looking at the thief's webpage, and "Oh, look, dwarfs!  Who look nearly identical to Disney's Snow White dwarfs, just green." (No, I don't know why the odd color, unless the thief believed that a small change like that voided Disney's copyright.)  My friend might not have pockets deep enough to bring a suit against a non-US person, but Disney does and will.  I notified them and very soon the webpage was gone.
into books first.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #7342 on: Today at 07:54:33 AM »
I actually once reported to Roger Ebert the name of a "critic" in Australia who'd basically just stolen his review of a movie and reposted it onoine under his own name. Within days I got a response from Ebert and the review had disappeared from the imdb link page.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

jmarvellous

« Reply #7343 on: Today at 09:13:30 AM »
That reminds me of the first time I caught a  plagiarist at a newspaper, where I was a college intern.

The guy had been writing business book reviews for many years. He was a freelancer, and his work was extremely erratic -- one week, he'd be pushing the editor because his piece was cut for space and delayed a day, the next three weeks he'd have nothing and blow deadline after deadline.
Something bugged me about his phrasing in one piece -- it seemed far too clever for his typo-ridden dreck. I Googled it, and lo and behold, he'd been getting away with tacking his own bad leads on other people's book reviews (typo-ridden transitions added and altered) for years.

He was out very shortly. The fortunate side effect was a boost to my reputation as a young editor.

Shalamar

« Reply #7344 on: Today at 10:41:49 AM »
I saw a post on Reddit recently of a Spanish actress who'd basically faked her entire resume by doing (very bad) Photoshop on other actresses' Facebook posts.  For starters, I bet you thought that Summer Glau guest-starred on Big Bang Theory a few years ago.  Nope!  It was this other actress, at least according to her.    She even claimed to have been invited to the Oscars.  I'd say that she'd committed PD, except that I don't think she has a career to destroy.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7345 on: Today at 11:23:40 AM »
I saw a post on Reddit recently of a Spanish actress who'd basically faked her entire resume by doing (very bad) Photoshop on other actresses' Facebook posts.  For starters, I bet you thought that Summer Glau guest-starred on Big Bang Theory a few years ago.  Nope!  It was this other actress, at least according to her.    She even claimed to have been invited to the Oscars.  I'd say that she'd committed PD, except that I don't think she has a career to destroy.
Did she think that people wouldn't check
1. The credits
2. IMBD
3. TV.com

Not to mention the ticking off Summer Glau's/Firefly fans not a good idea.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Shalamar

« Reply #7346 on: Today at 12:11:48 PM »
No kidding!  If memory serves, her character in Big Bang Theory was supposed to be a nemesis for Sheldon, or something.  Fans of the show (of which I am one) would definitely be scratching their heads and saying "I don't remember that episode, or her."

Edited to add that by "her", I mean the Spanish actress - not Summer Glau, who definitely was on the show.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:38:22 PM by Shalamar »

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #7347 on: Today at 12:33:28 PM »
No kidding!  If memory serves, her character in Big Bang Theory was supposed to be a nemesis for Sheldon, or something.  Fans of the show (of which I am one) would definitely be scratching their heads and saying "I don't remember that episode, or her."

Summer Glau was in the episode called The Terminator Decoupling  She happened to be on the same train as the guys and they were all trying to hit on her (except Sheldon).

Shalamar

« Reply #7348 on: Today at 12:37:20 PM »
Oh, I remember the Summer Glau episode - I mean that I wouldn't remember the episode with the Spanish actress playing Sheldon's nemesis, because it didn't exist (except in her mind).  :)  I've updated my previous post to make myself a little more clear.