Author Topic: First World Annoyances  (Read 67129 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: First World Annoyances
« Reply #825 on: October 18, 2014, 10:22:59 PM »

My first world annoyance? Facebooks messaging app. I don't want it. The facebook app itself barely works. I had to use the mobile fb app to upload some photos to a sale site, but I can't respond or even read any messages about them without shutting down the app and logging in on the real site, or downloading the message app.
Yes! I am in the same boat here. I keep cheating by going in through Chrome to check my private messages and it irks me they want to make it a mandatory download. It honestly seems like a horrible app and there are also several privacy concerns. The abundance of 1 star reviews for it are also concerning.

I downloaded messenger and used it for one day. It was removed the next day and I use Chrome.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #826 on: October 19, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »
My co-worker was moaning today that his expensive vehicle has heated seats but not a heated steering wheel. His hands were getting cold.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #827 on: October 19, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
My co-worker was moaning today that his expensive vehicle has heated seats but not a heated steering wheel. His hands were getting cold.

Do we work together? OK, I don't have an expensive vehicle. I just don't understand why more vehicles have heated steering wheels. It isn't even an option. Many motorcycles have heated grips....it's very similar. If your hands are warm, life is better. I live where it gets bitterly cold. Driving with thick gloves is no fun. Driving gloves are not warm enough. My sister and my co-worker have Raynaud's disease. I'm sure they would love a heated steering wheel.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #828 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
I have many coats, but none that do exactly what I want. I have:

- A parka that can only have thin to medium layers (think cashmere sweater and regular undershirt)
- A bomber jacket that is very roomy, but is getting way too big for me, even with my thickest sweaters that used to belong to my 5'8" dad (I'm 4'11").
- A rain jacket I basically have to wear t - shirts with to avoid overheating (and that's hard for me to do - I have a normal temp of 95.9 F)
- Any number of fleece jackets that have the same problem as the parka

And I don't have the money to get a decent coat. I know I should be grateful I even have one coat/jacket, never mind the plethora I have, not to mention the many sweaters and sweatshirts I have (I get really cold in the fall and winter, to the point that I have to wear a sweater, undershirt, and thick skirt or jeans in the house, plus fuzzy or electric socks).
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

jane7166

« Reply #829 on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »
People continually try to make me feel like a pariah because I don’t have a smart phone.  You know what I have?  I have a 2 year old flip phone.  Do you know what I do with it?  I turn it on and make a phone call.  Then I turn it off.  It’s available if I have an emergency, and that’s all I need.  My god, people are starving in this world and that’s what you’re worried about?

Even my 11 year-old niece says, “Geez Aunt Blueyz…even I have a smart phone.”  Of course, an 11 year-old with a smart phone is another issue, in my mind.  Does anyone else remember the wall-mounted phone with the 20 foot-long cord that was in the kitchen and you had to stand there for 5 minutes holding the cord so it could spin to unravel?    The good old days.

This is me.  Mine is about 9 years old, and it makes and receives calls and texts, although I can count the number of texts I've sent on the fingers of one hand (one).  This is all I need.  Mr. Sirius has a more elaborate phone with a map function, etc. but he drives a school bus, and he's a backup driver so he's often driving routes he's not familiar with.  Therefore, a map function is very important to him being able to do his job; he's given directions, but there have been times the route-planning software doesn't know about road construction or other things so he's had to more or less wing it.
This is my family of three.  Cost of 3 flip phones, no contract:  $300 per year.  My neighbor told me their family cell phone plan costs nearly $300 per MONTH.  I rarely use the stupid thing anyhow and can usually find a hotspot for a tablet if I need Internet access.

Snooks

« Reply #830 on: October 23, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »
Amazon have not despatched the game I pre-ordered with day of release delivery. It releases tomorrow and I've got a horrible feeling they're going to use a courier who needs a signature rather than the despatch method I chose which does not (as I'll be at work all day).

snowfire

« Reply #831 on: November 21, 2014, 08:12:29 PM »
For the last week the locker room at the gym has been freezing cold.  Something in the heater has been broken, waiting for a part, and the locker room has run between 55 - 60 degrees.  This is not fun when you have been in the pool and are dripping wet.  I hope they get it fixed soon!

JadeAngel

« Reply #832 on: November 24, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »
The office is cleaned top to bottom on Sunday
Today is Monday
It's raining.

One of the tenants is moving out of the office so we have had removalists through all day long and they have not wiped their feet on the provided mat, so there are muddy footprints all over the nice clean floor. And while it is the cleaners not me who will have to clean it up it still bugs the heck out of me every time I walk through the front office and see the muddy boot tracks going down the hall.  >:(

poundcake

« Reply #833 on: Yesterday at 07:04:03 AM »
This is so First World that I've annoyed myself. But I'm still annoyed.

We had a specific housekeeper for 8 years. She was wonderful. Not only was she great at her job (and we recommended her all over the place), but we both like to cook and would exchange recipes. I know the cliche about "like family," but it was great seeing her kids grow up and all that. But she stopped working last year, and, six months ago, after a few recommendations, we have a new monthly housekeeper. He doesn't speak English well, so some of it may be misunderstanding things, but he also just lacks common sense. Today, I am totally annoyed because I am in the middle of Thanksgiving prep. He switched from yesterday to today to clean. When he got here a little while ago, I told him that I was going to be cooking a few things for the next hour, so the kitchen was going to be occupied, but first, I had to run to the store. He seemed to understand when I said that. But when I got back, he was... cleaning the kitchen. So as he's cleaning, I'm messing it all up again, chopping vegetables and peeling things. He finally went to vacuum elsewhere, but I was annoyed. It got worse when I fed our cats. One cat steals the other's food, so I feed one in the living room with the door closed. It only takes about 10 minutes. So I fed them, went upstairs to check a recipe, go back downstairs and... he's opened the LR door, left it open, and Fat Cat is happily face-first in Little Cat's lunch.

I miss our old housekeeper, darn it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #834 on: Yesterday at 08:48:10 AM »
Our new car is great. However, the design makes it nigh impossible for a home mechanic to change the oil or light bulbs. There is a shield below the engine that has to be removed and then many other hurdles, and due to the placement, you really need a lift.

There are Youtube videos that show how to do it, but still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO8Qpv7P_QE