News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 08, 2016, 03:05:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When kids can say/do what etiquette says you can't. Share stories.  (Read 2267 times)

squashedfrog

Something awesome happened today and I wanted to share, and hear your own awesome tales.

Froglet is 3 1/2. She has loads of Barbie dolls as she loves dress up and is very girlie.  Recently she's got interested in weddings (the pretty dresses) and has started marrying her barbies to each other because she wants a wedding.

My aunt saw this while my mum was babysitting and was apparently 'concerned'.  She told my mum that I should be helping her with this.

Told Froglet girls can't marry girls, and that she needs boy dolls for her barbies to marry.    Bearing in mind, When froglet got home I told her she can marry who she likes. She told me she wants to marry a puppy so she can put a bow and dress on it.

Today was The next time we see my aunt, she flourishes two 'Ken dolls' she'd bought at a car boot sale.  One of which had 70s/80s shoulder length blond hair.  Announces that the barbies don't have to get married now because they have boys to marry.

Froglet says thank you, then 45 minutes later comes back with one of the long haired boy doll in a dress, and sits in the middle of the lounge in front of our family and marries the toy boys together. She then married a My Little Pony to Chase from Paw Patrol.   My aunt gets on the floor with her and tells her boys can't marry boys.  She blinks and holds up the my little pony and says "auntie, they're plastic".

Hit the kitchen with my mum laughing our heads off.

Anyone got good stories when kids have put people in their place?

gmatoy

Re: When kids can say/do what etiquette says you can't. Share stories.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:52:49 PM »
First of all, I love your Froglet! Yes, they are plastic and inventive play shows how creative and "outside the box" some children are.

Once, when my DD was little, we were getting on a bus. DD looks at me and says, " Mom, let that lady sit down first." So, I stepped aside, the lady sat down, complimenting on my well behaved child. We go sit down toward the back of the bus, and DD says, "I just didn't want to sit by her, she smokes! And she will make you sick!"

(I have severe asthma, and perfumes and the smell of smoke do me in.)

Luckily, we had been talking about quite voices and DD was not in "loud mode" that day.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:21:55 PM »
Froglet is awesome  ;D

(And I used to play "doctor" with my sister's Barbies . . . which meant dislocating their limbs so I could "fix" them. Except I wasn't really old enough to fix them properly, and the heads never really go back on the same way anyway, so she regularly had a bin full of assorted naked Barbie parts until my dad had time to come put them back together again. Oddly enough, I never played dolls much after that.)

TracyXJ

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 06:53:17 AM »
The closest I've come is my 2.5 year old son.  He doesn't seem to realize that when mommy says to do something, it means he needs to do it.

Me:  Do you need to go potty?
Sunshine:  No.
Me:  (knowing that he's not good at realizing when he needs to go and not wanting an accident) Yes, you need to go.
Sunshine:  No.
Me:  I said yes.
Sunshine:  I said no!

Little goofball always says it with a smile too!

Gladly

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 05:08:58 AM »
The first time I remember seeing adults having a problem not laughing at a child's response was a revelation to me.  I was about 8 and my brother was not quite 3.  We were walking home with our mother when we met a neighbour who was coming to offer us a bag of apples from her tree.  She took out 2 apples and gave one to each of us.  I thanked her and bit into mine.  My brother took his and looked hard at it. 

Mother:  What do you say?
Brother: (Holds out the apple to neighbour)  Can you peel it please?

Mother and Neighbour look at each other, suppressing giggles.

Neighbour: Well, he did say please!  (to brother)  Why don't we go indoors and you can help me peel it.

GardenGal

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »
I might have told this story on another thread, and if so, sorry!

When our son was about 3 we were teaching him the meaning of the word "generous," and told him that it meant sharing something you have with someone else.  That night we went to dinner with my parents, and when dessert was served son took a big piece of his grandfather's cake without asking first.  I told him this wasn't right, that he needed to ask, but son looked at me like I had two heads and said, "But I'm being generous - I'm sharing with him"  Sigh.  Clearly we hadn't explained that word sufficiently.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

BeagleMommy

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
When BeagleBoy was about 4 he had a day care teacher that he and all of the other kids adored.  Mrs. Younes got the most hugs of any of the teachers.  One day he was getting fidgety in church and complaining that "he wanted to go".

Me:  BeagleBoy, would you act like this for Mrs. Younes?
BeagleBoy: (shocked expression) No!  Mrs. Younes is tough.

Couldn't argue with that one.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 08:58:23 PM »
Froglet says thank you, then 45 minutes later comes back with one of the long haired boy doll in a dress, and sits in the middle of the lounge in front of our family and marries the toy boys together. She then married a My Little Pony to Chase from Paw Patrol.   My aunt gets on the floor with her and tells her boys can't marry boys.  She blinks and holds up the my little pony and says "auntie, they're plastic".

Funniest thing I've heard all week. I would be in the kitchen stifling it with you.

bopper

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »
When my eldest was little, sometimes we would give her an m&M as a treat.
She would ask or point for one, and then we would encourage politeness and say "Please?"

After awhile she would point and say "peese" as she thought the name of m&m's was "peese"

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 05:57:14 PM »
Well, I did use something similar to get a Ken doll.   The only kid for me to play with was a boy.  He was a great kid.   I noticed that my Barbies didn't have any boys to play with.  So I mentioned that to my Dad.  He left me with a neighbor while he ran to the store to buy me a Ken doll.   I might have liked Ken better if he'd had real hair, even super short.  And, if his head didn't keep falling off.