News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 25, 2016, 12:21:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 2398784 times)

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #9840 on: May 19, 2016, 08:05:53 PM »
Some updates related to my "cowboy" devloper. I'll call him "Tex".

Tex has been told to be very, very careful when talking to Sales. This is not some control thing by our boss (the CTO), but for his protection. Sales tends to say different things to different people, put nothing in writing, and then deny it all when called on it. Tex has denied talking to them much. Except that when Sales were meeting with my boss (Tex and I were not there),  on Wednesday, they told Boss that they had been talking to him. That they had requested that he do a demo with a feature that hasn't yet been developed -- by next Tuesday! The real gem from that conversation? Apparently he told them that he was planning on leaving the company. They sat on this info for at least 2 days before mentioning it to Boss.

Boss then had to go to the CEO and tell him this; it's an obligation Boss has as an officer of the company. This almost guarantees that Tex is going to be let go some time soon. CEO has had Tex in his sights for a while and this just makes him an easier target. It might have just been bluster by Tex in a conversation, but it was foolish nonetheless. Telling people something like that when they are known to use every bit of info to their political advantage is just stupid.

In other news, the CEO is getting very tired of Sales not standing behind their requests. For two of our vertical markets, he sitting them down and they are going to hammer out the next set of requirements. With his involvement, they're going to have a hard time weaseling out of making a commitment. We'll see if they can avoid the PD.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #9841 on: May 20, 2016, 02:18:34 AM »
How old was he, Ceallach? It's possible he's been skating by on personality in previous jobs and his personal life - you know, one of those guys who everyone makes excuses for because he's a lovely person, but who never learns to do better because he never has to face consequences. Having actual serious consequences hit might shake him out of that.

Or he could keep being surprised that people like him and yet still expect him to perform at his job.  ::) Either way, it's up to him now!

I nearly included this in my original post but was in a hurry - he is very stereotypical "i-gen", around 24 years of age.   I'm not normally a big fan of any generational stereotypes - I am a Gen Y who was always very hard-working and successful, so used to resent insinuations about my "generation".   However, I have to admit I have now met quite a few of the stereotypical i-gen.   

Personable, fun-loving, great technical skills (he picked up our computer systems so fast - and it's a system nobody outside our company has ever used so quite a feat), but just not understanding basic work ethic and that work should be a priority.    They just don't seem to care enough.  :(   We've seen this a few times now.    (Having said that, two of our very successful juniors are also very young and are wonderful and hard-working, so again there are definite exceptions!)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #9842 on: May 20, 2016, 03:15:12 AM »
How old was he, Ceallach? It's possible he's been skating by on personality in previous jobs and his personal life - you know, one of those guys who everyone makes excuses for because he's a lovely person, but who never learns to do better because he never has to face consequences. Having actual serious consequences hit might shake him out of that.

Or he could keep being surprised that people like him and yet still expect him to perform at his job.  ::) Either way, it's up to him now!

I nearly included this in my original post but was in a hurry - he is very stereotypical "i-gen", around 24 years of age.   I'm not normally a big fan of any generational stereotypes - I am a Gen Y who was always very hard-working and successful, so used to resent insinuations about my "generation".   However, I have to admit I have now met quite a few of the stereotypical i-gen.   

Personable, fun-loving, great technical skills (he picked up our computer systems so fast - and it's a system nobody outside our company has ever used so quite a feat), but just not understanding basic work ethic and that work should be a priority.    They just don't seem to care enough.  :(   We've seen this a few times now.    (Having said that, two of our very successful juniors are also very young and are wonderful and hard-working, so again there are definite exceptions!)

Well, there's people in every generation who don't develop a good work ethic (for whatever reason) until after they've had a short sharp shock or two (or fifteen... or never do it...), and their peers often end up side-eyeing them and thinking "Get out of my demographic, you're making us look bad!" >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Twik

« Reply #9843 on: May 20, 2016, 03:56:49 PM »
Well, there's people in every generation who don't develop a good work ethic (for whatever reason) until after they've had a short sharp shock or two (or fifteen... or never do it...), and their peers often end up side-eyeing them and thinking "Get out of my demographic, you're making us look bad!" >:D

Yes, laziness or just aimlessness is not new under the sun. I remember my mother telling me, "you'll learn what *real* work is once you leave school!" When I did start work, she'd be outraged at my employer when I'd be still at work at 6:30. "When I worked in an office, no one worked past 5:01!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shalamar

« Reply #9844 on: May 21, 2016, 04:35:01 PM »
My mother is always outraged on my behalf when I'm on call for my job and get a call at midnight.   She'll go on and on about how "unfair" it is.  Telling her that it's part of the job, and everyone has to do it, makes no difference.