News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 12, 2016, 12:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?  (Read 159882 times)

Klein Bottle

Re: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?
« Reply #930 on: December 11, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
A person of interest in the 80s kidnapping of Jacob Wetterling has been arrested. I remember seeing Jacob's story on Unsolved Mysteries as a kid & it always stuck with me  :-\

http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/disappearance-of-jacob-wetterling/

DH's younger brother was with Jacob Wetterling earlier in the day on the day he disappeared.  I have been following this case for years, and I am glad to see a person of interest named.

Wow!! I'm sure that's affected your brother in law all his life. What an awful thing. Thank goodness he wasn't kidnapped, also. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

VorFemme

• I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #931 on: December 11, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »
Grateful Doe has officially been identified as Jason Patrick Callahan.  Peace to his family, especially at this time of year.

Apparently, he had a history of running away from home, so the family knew that he was missing - but thought that it was by choice and that he'd get back in touch with them when he was ready to...

So sad...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #932 on: December 12, 2015, 08:57:57 AM »
Oh, I very much understand why his family never reported him missing.  I have a cousin that I know will most likely end up the same way.  Sometimes he's home, sometimes he's ... well, we never really know.  He was on the west coast for awhile, and I think he's been home since last month.  One day he'll just leave again and never return, and years later I'll hear about an unidentified young man in somewhere like Colorado or New Mexico and it will be him.  When an adult decides to leave on their own volition, there's really not much their family can do. 

Cherry91

« Reply #933 on: December 12, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »
Grateful Doe has officially been identified as Jason Patrick Callahan.  Peace to his family, especially at this time of year.

Apparently, he had a history of running away from home, so the family knew that he was missing - but thought that it was by choice and that he'd get back in touch with them when he was ready to...

So sad...

I also read an article where the poor boy's mother said that she tried to start a Missing Person's Report all those years ago, but it got lost in a mass of red tape due to jurisdiction confusion, as his home address was in one state but he'd been seen in several others before disappearing.
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

MyFamily

« Reply #934 on: January 13, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »
It has been 20 years since Amber Hagerman was kidnapped and murdered, and her killer has not been identified yet.  The Amber Alert was established because of what happened to her.

http://news.yahoo.com/who-killed-amber-hagerman-murder-case-that-inspired-amber-alerts-unsolved-20-years-later-142605215.html

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

HotMango

« Reply #935 on: February 03, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
I am a bit obsessed with popular true crime stories and so I'm surprised I'd not heard of Lord Lucan, "the killer aristocrat." I just recently stumbled on to the story after he was very recently declared dead so that his son could receive his earl title. But no one really knows what happened to him since he vanished in 1974 after killing the family's nanny. It's a fascinating mystery. http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/03/europe/lord-lucan-declared-dead/index.html

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #936 on: February 04, 2016, 08:32:17 AM »
I am a bit obsessed with popular true crime stories and so I'm surprised I'd not heard of Lord Lucan, "the killer aristocrat." I just recently stumbled on to the story after he was very recently declared dead so that his son could receive his earl title. But no one really knows what happened to him since he vanished in 1974 after killing the family's nanny. It's a fascinating mystery. http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/03/europe/lord-lucan-declared-dead/index.html

My very first trip to England, we arrived the day before the murder.  So my memories of seeing England for the first time are tied in with that case.  For me, that's not a bad thing.  I love mysteries and true crime.  I was also shocked years later to find out that he was never seen again.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

auntmeegs

« Reply #937 on: February 04, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »
I'd love to know if Steven Avery is really guilty or innocent.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #938 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »
I'd love to know if Steven Avery is really guilty or innocent.

He's innocent of the first crime, at least.

I haven't seen the miniseries, but I grew up in the town where Steven Avery lived. My siblings both worked at the store the women he was accused of raping owned. Her story was the one I grew up with as the example of "bad people are out there so don't do things that increase your risk [go walking alone after dark, hang out in bad parts of town, etc.]" because she never really was the same afterward. I wish now there had been a little less emphasis on creepy men in the shadows and more on the more realistic issues of partner abuse, consent and non-consent, etc.