Author Topic: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters  (Read 43328 times)

mmswm

Re: S/O Proud kitchen moments -- Kitchen disasters
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »

...   Nope. There are some disasters that just never go away. I'm absolutely positive that the new owners of my old house in Miami are still picking bits of exploded toilet out of the walls and ceiling. I moved out if that house in 2009 The exploding toilet escapade was in 2007. I never stopped finding bits of former toilet in that bathroom.

I know. I know. Sorry in advance.  But I just have to ask.  Was the toilet unoccupied at the time of the explosion --  hopefully?

Yes, it was unoccupied.  I was using an angle grinder to remove the flange bolts in order to remove the toilet.  The angle grinder hit the base of the toilet in just the right way to explode the whole thing into a billion pieces.  Unfortunately, this was not the only toilet I've blown up.  I dropped another one not to long after that, but at least that mess wasn't as bad.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
...  I was using an angle grinder to remove the flange bolts in order to remove the toilet.  The angle grinder hit the base of the toilet in just the right way to explode the whole thing into a billion pieces.  Unfortunately, this was not the only toilet I've blown up.  I dropped another one not to long after that, but at least that mess wasn't as bad.

LOL!  Somewhere out there, there has to be a way you can get paid for your expertise in toilet demolishing. 
You could call your business 'Johnny Destructo' or something.   ;D

sylviatexas

« Reply #377 on: December 19, 2014, 12:35:32 AM »
The airborne potato soup story reminded me of an oldie-but-goodie.

When my country-girl aunt graduated from high school & moved to Houston to take a job, she had an adorable apartment in a converted Victorian house;
this was just after WWII, & there was no air conditioning.

Canned biscuits had just been invented, & she was all happy & excited to be able to just crack open a can rather than pounding dough & letting it rise & pounding it again.

Things went well for a few days, & then one morning time got away from her, & she ran to catch the bus without breakfast.

leaving the can of biscuits on the countertop.
in Houston, Texas.
in September.

When she returned, there were shreds of raw biscuit dough on the countertop, on the cabinets, & on the ceiling.

When she came home to the farm after 2 weeks rather than 1, her father told her that they'd been worried about her (no such thing as a telephone in their isolated little farmhouse):
he asked her why she hadn't come home the previous week-end, & she said,
"I spent the week-end cleaning biscuits off the ceiling."

DavidH

« Reply #378 on: December 19, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »
I think I should clarity, I didn't sell the house to remove the potato, but selling it did have the effect of making the potato bonded to the cabinets no longer a problem for me.  I'm assuming the next owner either replaced them, found a cleaning product I'd never heard of, or that the potato and cabinets are still bonded together.

Frog24

« Reply #379 on: December 19, 2014, 01:39:22 PM »
As a child, a "friend" of mine ;) was instructed by her older sister to make a menorah out of a Styrofoam plate.  The holes were poked, the candles inserted and lit, and then the "friend" went to bed.  Her sister went into the other room to watch tv.  Well, you have to let the candles burn all the way down... you can't blow them out, right? 

In the morning, the "friend" came down to a very angry mother, and a kitchen completely full of tiny floating black particles.  I guess when  the candles burnt down, they melted the Styrofoam and the melted bits became air born.  Mom was most upset that when some of the particles landed, they did so in a giant, freshly made pot of broth that was left uncovered to cool.  "Friend" *ahem* had to scrub the entire kitchen top to bottom to get all the particles out. 

sylviatexas

« Reply #380 on: December 19, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »
An older couple in the neighborhood told this story about their first house:

In the mid-nineteen-fifties, they used the husband's "GI Bill" (VA entitlement) to buy a brick house with a garage & central air conditioning & a dishwasher.

Then they moved in & went "uh-oh. What have we done?"

How were they going to make those $72 a month payments??

Somebody threw them a housewarming, serving punch in styrofoam cups.

After everyone went home, the happy couple cleaned up the house.

They decided that, money being tight & all, they'd re-use the styrofoam cups, so they put them in the dishwasher, turned it on, & went to bed.

Next morning, the dishwasher was full of styrofoam bits.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #381 on: Yesterday at 11:26:11 AM »
I had sausage links in a pan on the stove and went to shake them. Suddenly, sparks flew in all directions. I went downstairs to get DH, who is the electrical guru for our family. He came back and immediately set about repeating my experiment with lots of sparks. I get a new burner and a new receptacle for Christmas.