Author Topic: Please recommend: Need an E-Reader for Mom DECISION P3 THANKS!  (Read 1092 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Please recommend: Need an E-Reader for Mom
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
I have not been able to find any way to customize the sweet spots. This was possible on the Kindle Keyboard. Now, they just seem to assume that pressing on the right side turns the page forward, and on the left turning the page backwards, is convenient for everyone.

Elisabunny

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »
I have not been able to find any way to customize the sweet spots. This was possible on the Kindle Keyboard. Now, they just seem to assume that pressing on the right side turns the page forward, and on the left turning the page backwards, is convenient for everyone.

This is exactly why I have refused to get a touch screen Kindle.  In fact, when my Keyboard broke down, I got another one from eBay.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

magician5

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 12:08:19 AM »
THANK YOU EVERYONE! Quite an education for me!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

lynxcan

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 12:16:33 AM »
I have a kindle and love it but someone told me about calibre as a library for my books.  calibre will convert books into whatever format you need them to be, it gives a synopsis of the book, you can rate them and it also tells you the genre... and, it's free. 
Lynxcan
I cannot brain today.  I have the  dumb.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 12:42:16 AM »
Check with the local library to see if they have any ereaders to check out - the local library system here has a limited number of Kindles, I don't know which model. 

It might be an easy way to let your mother try out a real ereader without spending any money on it - then buy her one based on her feedback on what she liked about the library's ereader and what she didn't like, too.

My sister gets eyestrain from back lit screens, so no color readers and she changed pages on the two that I owned (Sony PRS-300 had no way to add more memory to the device - the Aluratek Pro Libre accepts SD cards) to see if one of them was more comfortable to hold & read.  The Aluratek Pro Libre didn't "flash" a bit of light when she changed pages and had six sizes of font - she can enlarge the font one setting to read on the commuter bus that she takes to work.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »
I have a kindle and love it but someone told me about calibre as a library for my books.  calibre will convert books into whatever format you need them to be, it gives a synopsis of the book, you can rate them and it also tells you the genre... and, it's free.
I've got calibre, mainly because I don't get on with the Kobo desktop, and I'd completely recommend it. It also allows you to convert your own word docs to ebooks and load them onto your ereader, very useful if you have a lot of notes to review. With two different format readers, being able to swap (most) books between them is handy.

Jocelyn

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »

This is exactly why I have refused to get a touch screen Kindle.  In fact, when my Keyboard broke down, I got another one from eBay.
Amazon was graciously replacing the Kindle for me. They've done it more than once- I'm actually embarrassed to admit how many times, as I feel like I'm taking advantage of them, but they always claim that the damage is under warranty. So I do my part by telling people how happy I am with their policies.  ;D

magician5

Re: Please recommend: Need an E-Reader for Mom DECISION P3 THANKS!
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 10:00:46 PM »
Settled on a Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light.

Got a case and screen protector (just-in-case there's a rowdy grandkid nearby).

Thanks everyone!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Please recommend: Need an E-Reader for Mom DECISION P3 THANKS!
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I hope your Mom has a real good time with it!  :)