Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 94544 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #795 on: July 21, 2014, 10:59:39 PM »
I want a Darth Vader sprinkler for the front walkway for Halloween....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gingerzing

« Reply #796 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »
Picked up this weekend...

Almost like new dark blue capris dressy enough that I can wear to work.  (It's allowed)  - $4

Workout outfit that all coordinates.  I don't usually worry about that, but this was brand new with tags still on. 
Grey capri pants WITH decent pockets! - $4
Same brand 3/4 length zipup jacket - $3
Sleeveles shirt that matches the jacket (different brand) - $3
(The pants alone would have been $15)

And the best buy of the day
Brand new dress with JCPenny's tag still on it.  for $8.  Orignially about $40. 
White and black with a 50's swing dress vibe.  (I'll try to track a picture down.) 
Apparently this late 40's to 50's style of dresses really work for my body type.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #797 on: July 22, 2014, 01:58:34 PM »
Rapunzel in pretty good shape (marks cleaned off & small tear in dress is one that I can repair - she even has her crown)! $2  Her hair appears uncut and it was not tangled - considering how long it is, that was nice!

Jointed Barbie (elbows & knees) for the same amount - nude - I have no idea which "Barbie" she is supposed to be - I got her to use for posing & taking photos (I bought some Museum patterns and Historical patterns for Barbie and I want to be able to pose her once she's dressed).

Miche canvas "Sandy" shell with scarf, tiny smudge came off with a little steam cleaning from my Bissell - once it dries, I'm going back to the Miche purse with organizer insert.  It's easier to find things in.  Sandy was $7 - the other shells in the cabinet were $10 - originally much more.  I checked eBay - the shipping was twice the price that I paid before the bidding started...I have two other shells in good shape (clay with black trim & purple with black trim - I forget the "names").  I just wanted a more neutral color for summer.  The scarf has black in the print - so it should look okay with the black handles...

Yesterday, large plastic stacking file organizer (letter sized files on way and legal sized files the other way) $3 - we use them for car wash supplies (VorGuy is a teacher and their fund raising program includes a car wash in the spring & fall semesters).  They also come in handy (they belong to us, not the school) for packing food stuffs in the back of the vehicle for trips.  They carry in much more easily and don't collapse like the reusable grocery bags can...

magicdomino

« Reply #798 on: July 22, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »
Okay, how many people Googled Darth Vader Lawn Sprinkler?

*raises hand*

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #799 on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:34 PM »
Okay, how many people Googled Darth Vader Lawn Sprinkler?

*raises hand*

I did... just to read the Amazon reviews  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #800 on: July 22, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
There were no reviews on the listing I saw...maybe I should check eBay...?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #801 on: July 22, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
It's cheaper on eBay....well, one listing is.  Still no reviews...

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #802 on: July 23, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
From my favorite secondhand shop yesterday:

Solid wood 1930s era folding chair that had belonged to a now-defunct funeral home. $3.99
Two antique brass toasting forks. One with a devil on top, one with an owl. $1.50 apiece
Antique big copper and brass coal scuttle with a delft china bead on the handle. $8.00
Vintage cast iron wall-mounted matchstick holder. $1.00
Small cast iron cauldron. $1.00
Vintage glass spiderweb pattern whiskey bottle. $4.00

I looked up all the things I'd bought (barring the cauldron) to see what they're worth. Looks like the chair would sell for around $50, the toasting forks for $20 apiece, the matchstick holder for $45, the coal scuttle for around $40. Couldn't find a match for the bottle, though. Still, I'd say I had a pretty good haul!