Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 45446 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #690 on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »
None of that means that they look intelligent or accurate, or that they drive me less batty because there's a reason for them.

It looks lazy and "cute," perhaps, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I have faith that people could process "Drive-Through" (or "Drive-Up" if we want to be brief).

cabbageweevil

« Reply #691 on: Yesterday at 02:45:50 AM »
Fetched up from recesses of brain, an "American journalese" tale which I heard long ago.  Apparently, film-makers and -distributors had observed that films whose characters were unsophisticated back-country dwellers, tended not to be popular with audiences in remote rural parts of the US -- the inhabitants perhaps feeling that the films were mocking them, or...?  This phenomenon was magnificently "telegraphesed" (likely, by Time) as follows:  "Stix nix hix pix."

I don't know if that was a real headline or not, but it's quoted by Jimmy Cagney in his role as George M. Cohan in "Yankee Doodle Dandy". Toward the end of the film, he runs into some teenagers speaking the lingo of their time, presumably early 40s, and wants to give them a taste of his own familiar jargon. He reads them the headline of Variety which happens to be, "Stix nix hix pix" and then proceeds to explain to them what it means.

Thanks.  Heard the tale long ago from a relative; don't remember whether he gave correct, or any, attribution -- recalled only the wondrous four monosyllables, and that it was in some US periodical long ago !

cabbageweevil

« Reply #692 on: Yesterday at 02:49:30 AM »
My point was that I see people using "thru" in lots and lots of situations that have nothing to do with a "drive-thru" (though I would argue that it shouldn't be used there, either). Some people seem to use it anytime "through" would be the correct word.

I'm not sure why other oversimplified spelling is considered peeve-worthy but that one keeps getting excused as "commercial."

(Then again, I'm regularly annoyed by misspellings for the sake of some commercial purpose I can't divine, e.g., the proliferation of "Kwik" or "Rite.")

Companies spell "thru" that way for a reason - our brains process words in specific ways, and one of the side effects is it's incredibly hard for even non-dyslexic people to differentiate things like "though" versus "through" versus "thorough" on the first pass, especially if we're reading quickly.  "Thru" is much easier to read and understand at a momentary glance.

English and its fiendish "ough" words -- I can empathise with anyone who has any sort of trouble with those.  Getting a little O/T: I can't touch-type, and when I want to type "through", my fingers always seem to want to make it "thorough".

Specky

« Reply #693 on: Yesterday at 12:55:49 PM »

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #694 on: Yesterday at 01:48:14 PM »
Nope, that's true. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #695 on: Yesterday at 02:19:23 PM »
This poor guy:  http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/58236366-90/says-english-homophones-language.html.csp

At first, I thought it was satire.  Nope.

Good news/bad news: 

He got hired immediately as a PR person for the dairy council.

Then fired for talking about homogenized milk.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #696 on: Yesterday at 03:17:43 PM »
This poor guy:  http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/58236366-90/says-english-homophones-language.html.csp

At first, I thought it was satire.  Nope.

Good news/bad news: 

He got hired immediately as a PR person for the dairy council.

Then fired for talking about homogenized milk.

best thing ever