News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 28, 2017, 10:16:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jury Duty  (Read 4666 times)

gmatoy

Re: Jury Duty
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2017, 08:31:05 PM »
If I were that student, I would have replied, "Yes."

I hope the story of that sneer made it off of the campus and into the community. There is no reason to be rude to someone who might end up, in the future, on a jury where you might need him to be impartial.

Twik

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
All I can say it's an awful (in the old use of the term - full of awe) responsibility. I hope I never do have to sit in judgment of anyone.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

KimberlyM

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2017, 01:15:30 PM »
I've been called to circuit court lots of times, but never picked for a trial, I'm a paralegal for a civil plaintiff's attorney and my dad was an attorney here for years, I know lots of the judges and attorneys both personally and professionally. The only times I've made it through to jury selection I was excused because of a personal connection one or both attorneys.  Our circuit court has vending machines and a cafeteria as well as lots of nearby restaurants.  Parking is reimbursed at a nearby lot and I'm salaried so I don't lose any pay.

I've recently been pre-screened for federal court.  I'm sure I qualify so I expect to be called shortly.  I don't know anyone in the federal court system, so I'm hoping I might actually be chosen.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2017, 06:38:24 AM »
Here in Australia we get paid a little by the State ($40/ day) and our employee has to keep paying our wage.

The one time I did jury duty the court was near a major train station and loads of restaurants/cafes. It was a mistrial so we were released after 4 days.

Its more than that.  NSW is $106.30 p/d for days 1-10 and then more than doubles if the trial goes longer.
http://www.courts.justice.nsw.gov.au/Pages/cats/jury_service/payment.aspx

Wow.  In Maryland we get the princely sum of $15.   A day.