News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 20, 2018, 01:44:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soft, Buttery Pretzels  (Read 2610 times)

silvercelt

Soft, Buttery Pretzels
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »
I don't really have a name for this recipe, in my house we just call it The Delicious.  As in, DH says, "Honey, can you make me some of The Delicious?"

These are soft, buttery homemade pretzels.  If you're a fan of Auntie Anne's, they are very similar, but they don't cost $5.00 a pretzel!!

Ingredients:

4 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 teaspoon white sugar

4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/2 cup baking soda
4 cups hot water

(see bottom for toppings)

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in the warm water. Let it stand about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until creamy.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt.  Make a well in the center of the mixture, and add the oil and yeast mixture into the well. 
Mix until formed into dough, then knead the dough until smooth- about 7-8 minutes. 
Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn it to coat with oil. 
Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).

Preheat oven to 405 degrees (oven setting can vary for this recipe, by oven.  405 is about perfect for me, but some people that I gave this recipe to use a 400 degree setting, and some go up to 450.  If you're unsure, I'd recommend starting at about 415. )

When dough has risen, turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 12 equal pieces.  Roll each section into a rope, and twist into a pretzel shape (if you're no good at pretzel shapes, pretzels sticks, or even a "stick" cut into smaller pieces for pretzel bites work great, as well.)

Once all of the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda/water solution and place on a greased baking sheet. 

Bake for 8 minutes, until browned.

TOPPINGS

I like my pretzels basted in melted butter, and sprinkled with kosher or sea salt.  If you do, too, then sprinkle with salt before putting them into the oven, and brush with butter about halfway through baking.

If you like cinnamon sugar, or garlic parmesan, brush with melted butter halfway through baking, and when done, shake them in a baggie with the topping of your choice.

Enjoy!!

*edit* I forgot to add, you will be overcome with the urge to eat every single pretzel as they come out of the oven.  Please don't, as DH and I have tried this before, and it never ends well. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:44:03 PM by silvercelt »

Girly

Re: Soft, Buttery Pretzels
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:58:05 PM »
Ohhhhh, I'm going to have to try this one!!

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:49:08 AM »
Great recipe, and here's a suggestion:

Many pretzel-selling places will let you buy actual pretzel salt (or just give you a small cup) if you ask. They always seem to have extra salt.

I used to make pretzels all the time and pretzel bread. I bought my last bag of pretzel salt at the ballpark!

jan581

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:24:25 PM »
I have made these three times and they are fantastic. My daughter and her husband came for dinner and did not eat as I expected and when I asked why, they said they were saving room for the pretzels. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »
NO MORE RECIPES IN THIS THREAD PLEASE - EDITING IN PROGRESS
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC