Author Topic: Drink Choices?  (Read 1360 times)

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
Drink Choices?
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:25:05 PM »
I used to have a BF who had a very nice family & I was invited for a few family dinners at his parents' house over the course of our relationship.  Each time, I had a glass of milk set down in front of me.  I don't like milk, and have never been given only milk as beverage choice since I was in grade school.  Would it have been rude to ask for a glass of water?  (I never did b/c it was already poured).  I mean, I don't expect a restaurant menu of drink choices, but I'd seriously prefer water or nothing to drinking milk.  And in this instance, is it rude not to drink what's put in front of you?

Sibby

Re: Drink Choices?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 04:34:23 PM »
Considering I have been stuck in a car with a lactose intolerant person after they ate a bowl of ice cream (before she realised she was lactose intolerant - she had always been ok as a kid, it was adult onset) I would say it's A-OK to ask for something other than milk (just pass your glass to me!)  And it's never rude IMO to ask for water (in addition to or in leiu of something) since it's generally free.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 04:39:01 PM »
That's weird that they didn't at least offer you the choice of water -- I would never presume to choose someone's drink for them.    Were you in school at the time?  Until I graduated high school, my mom always poured me a glass of milk with dinner.  :P

I don't think it would be rude to ask for water.   I'd do the same if given a drink I didn't care for.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 04:43:50 PM »
Did his parents treat you both like children?  Did they treat him like a child in other ways?  I don't even automatically give milk to my daughter anymore.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:44:36 PM »
That's weird that they didn't at least offer you the choice of water -- I would never presume to choose someone's drink for them.    Were you in school at the time?  Until I graduated high school, my mom always poured me a glass of milk with dinner.  :P

I don't think it would be rude to ask for water.   I'd do the same if given a drink I didn't care for.

No, I was 25 and the youngest adult there!!  (BF's nieces were 6 & 1).  The wierdest part is BF's mom had BF ask me if the food menu was something I would like, to which I replied, "whatever she makes is fine".  

And it's fine if they didn't have juice, pop, coffee, etc., but they did have a sink, and the tap water in my area is drinkable.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:46:04 PM »
Did his parents treat you both like children?  Did they treat him like a child in other ways?  I don't even automatically give milk to my daughter anymore.

Yes, his mom treated him like a baby still, and he was Mama's Boy.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 04:51:17 PM »
It wasn't an etiquette issue, it was more of a mother/son/'girl who is stealing him away' psychology kind of thing  >:D
I don't envy you having been in that position!

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 02:00:32 PM »
Quite frankly, that's just werid. ::)   I offer my guests everything else before I even mention milk as most people don't just randomly sit down and drink a glass while chatting. And I don't think you would have been rude asking for water instead. As long as it's done politely I don't see the problem.