News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 06:34:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Christmas tamales and what to serve with them?  (Read 9704 times)

Dragonflymom

Christmas tamales and what to serve with them?
« on: December 20, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »
Due to my brother's work schedule, Mom is doing the big Christmas dinner with turkey and trimmings on Christmas Eve.  So DH wants to make tamales here on Christmas day for whoever of the family is still in town using his uncle's old family recipe.

I'm wondering what to do for side dishes that would be both festive and go with tamales.  Maybe taco salad with salsa dressing so it would be sort of red and green? :)  And some kind of southwestern veggie dish with corn and red and green peppers?
"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

FoxPaws

Re: Christmas tamales and what to serve with them?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »
I am so jealous.  :'( We lost our "homemade tamale connection" when my sister moved, and the store bought just isn't the same.

I used to serve them with "Rotel Rice". 1 can of Rotel tomatoes, 1 can of chicken broth, 1 heaping cup of white rice, 1 tbsp. butter. Boil until the liquid is gone.

How about chips with salsa, queso, and/or guacamole for a starter.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
How about Ensalada de Noche Buena (Christmas Eve salad)? It does require pomegranate seeds and jicama, and I don't know if you live where they are easy to find. But perhaps you could adapt the recipe.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

magician5

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:28:37 AM »
some kind of southwestern veggie dish with corn and red and green peppers?
Sweet corn cake:

1/2 cup softened butter
1/3 cup masa harina
1/4 cup water
Small can corn (in this case I'd save some steps and go with Green Giant 'Mexicorn")
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp yellow corn meal
2 Tbsp whipping cream
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Beat butter until fluffy. Slowly add in masa harina. On low speed, add water. Coarsly chop corn and add to masa mixture. Combine all remaining ingredients. Pour batter into an ungreased 8x8 inch baking pan. Smooth batter and cover with foil. Place pan into a 9x13 inch baking dish that is filled a third of the way with water. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use an ice cream scoop for easy removal from pan. Top with dollop of sour cream if desired.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Dragonflymom

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »
Thanks guys, those all sound yummy! :)

I think I can get pomegranites and jicima, Fred Meyer has them most of the time - we are in SW Washington.

"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

Summrs

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 07:36:59 AM »
Rustic Jicama Salad (Serves 4-6)

1 1/2 lbs jicama, peeled 
  1 English cucumber
  6 radishes
  3 (preferably seedless) oranges
  3/4 cup chopped cilantro
  3/4 cup lime juice
  1/2 ts salt
  1/2 ts ground guajillo chiles

Cut the jicama into 1/4 inch slices.  Cut the cucumber, unpeeled, lengthwise then into rather thick slices on the bias.  Slice the radishes into rounds.

Put these in a bowl and combine with 1/4 cup of lime juice and the half teaspoon of salt.  Let it sit to marinate for 20-30 minutes.

Remove the rind and all the pith from the three oranges.  Slice them through the poles and then into half-moon slices.  Add to the jicama mixture.

Pile onto a serving platter, including any juices that have accumulated.  Sprinkle the cilantro over all, then top with the pickled onions.  Lightly dust with the ground chile.

Pickled onions:

Thinly slice one large red onion.  Scoop the onions into a heat-proof, non-reactive bowl.  Pour boiling water over them, wait 10 seconds, then pour the onions into a large strainer.  Return the drained onions to the bowl, pour on 1/2 cup lime juice and stir in 1/2 ts salt.  Cover and place in the refrigerator for several hours.  Before serving, taste and season with additional salt if necessary.

==============================
Serves 6
Calabacitas:

1 1/2 tb olive oil             1 1/2 fresh poblano chile pepper,
  1 1/2 large onion, chopped                roasted, seeded and chopped
  4 cloves garlic, minced         2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
  6 small zucchini, diced         6 scallions, chopped
  1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained    1/2 cup cream or grated Jack cheese     
  3/4 ts salt, or to taste         1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until translucent. Stir in garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add zucchini and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn, chiles and scallions, and sauté 3 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes, cilantro and cream or cheese, and heat through, about 5 minutes. Salt to taste.  Do not overcook or it will get mushy.
==================================
Serves 4-6

As an appetizer (or even at the table) this might work, too.  Spicy Mexican Fondue:

1 (15-1/2 oz) can refried beans          2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  2 tb butter                   2 tb minced scallion
  1 clove garlic, minced             1/2 ts Worcestershire sauce
  1 Cayenne pepper, seeded and chopped    1 Anaheim or Poblano chile,
  3/4 cup beer at room temperature          seeded and chopped

Combine all the ingredients except the beer in a heavy saucepan. Heat, stirring until mixture is heated thoroughly, 10 to 15 minutes. Add beer gradually, while stirring. Transfer to a fondue pot. Accompany with tortilla chips or fresh vegetables for dipping.

For dessert, you could have Tres Leches cake or Flan? 

Just a few ideas for you.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:44:15 PM »
I want tamales. Now.  ;)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Dragonflymom

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:08:31 PM »
I want tamales. Now.  ;)

Me too!  DH just started cooking stuff, it is hard to wait two days.  *LOL*

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
Our neighors brought a plate of tamales this afternoon.  It was a gift from heaven...I didn't have to cook dinner.  DH got home late and was starving, and there was a plate ready for him.

We didn't do anything with them, I just put on some Pace taco sauce and they were awesome.

Roe

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 11:02:45 AM »
I just had some bean tamales.   Yum!    There's a lady who sells them in our city, and she's fabulous! 

Have you ever had sliced tomato with them?  It's good. :)   And I would recommend rice as a side. 

Dragonflymom

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 12:50:29 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!  Everything went great! :)

The grocery stores ended up being pretty empty especially in the produce section from the big snow storm, so the jicama and pomegranites were sadly not to be found after all.

I made the rice with tomatoes and the sweet corn cakes (my parents just scarfed that one down and asked for the recipe! :) ), DH made homemade refried beans, and we made just a regular taco salad.

Everything was a big hit and we sent our friends home with big bags of tamales. :)

DH actually invented his own recipe for black bean tamales for me as I have been trying to avoid meat for health issues - they came out really yummy! :)

I'll get his recipe when I get home from work and post if it anyone is interested.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »
Oh, yes, please! I love new tamale recipes.

I've made corn-and-pepper tamales before.

I haven't made tamales in so long ... maybe it's time to get out the steamer and have another go at it!
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Roe

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »
I was thinking about trying to make tamales this week.  The key is the maza. 

Please post your recipe!  Though I don't like black beans, I can sub that for pinto beans and see how it goes.  :)  It's so hard to find bean tamales here...it's always meat, meat, meat.  You have to special order beans if you want them.  And add the fact that I'm so picky...well, yeah, that's why I was thinking of making them myself.  :)

Luci

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »
OP, thanks for the question. It made me rethink my own meal planning.

Fox Paws, thanks for the recipe! Easiest spicy rice dish I ever made! I can't mess it up and my husband loved it! The second time around I mixed in ground turkey and had a main dish. Sorry to play with your recipe if you are sensitive to that sort of thing.