Author Topic: Gift Wrapping: What's your style and is there an etiquette for this?  (Read 10746 times)

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
Re: Gift Wrapping: What's your style and is there an etiquette for this?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 06:44:24 PM »
  Other holidays like birthdays tend to get gifts in gift bags.  Sadly, I can't really reuse many of the gift bags I get, because people have either written who it is for on the gift tag, or they stuck a tag right on the side of the bag, so I can't get it off.  I prefer to do envelopes with people's names on them on top of the gift, so the gift bag can be reused if they want to.  My mom and I way over think this...
When I use gift bags I do the same thing. :D

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 06:46:16 PM »
I prefer wrapped gifts (for giving and receiving), but I can’t wrap presents decently worth squat. Too bad, because they’re pretty. So a lot of the time I rely on gift bags for giving. And yes, I most definitely re-use them, because it’s so wasteful to just throw them away when they’re perfectly usable.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »
If they have only written on the gift TAG - I just cut that tag off and tie a new one on.

and if they have written my name on the bag -- well it is a family joke about sending the bags back home for "refills" the next year. 

Only with family though.

and if they put a sticky tag on the side of the bag -- well you can always put a BIGGER tag over it.....

that also only works for Family

(No, I'm not cheap or anything)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 05:23:39 AM »
My wrapping is instantly recognizable under the family Christmas tree.  Back in the late 90s I bought a gigantic roll of green paper with red poinsettias printed on it from BigBoxClubStore.  At the time, I had no idea how huge this roll actually was.  I have wrapped almost every one* of my Christmas gifts in that paper ever since, and I am still only about two-thirds through it.  It's become something of a family joke, where someone (usually my MIL) picks up one of the gifts and turns it over and over melodramatically asking, "Now who could this be from?"

I used to put curling ribbon and bows on my gifts, but a very expensive trip to the veterinarian put a stop to that.  Kitties ingesting curling ribbon = very bad news.

I used to put tags on my gifts, but one year I forgot to do them and inadvertently "fixed" a problem that had been going on for a long time - my SIL and her husband are both notorious gift-feelers and will sneak under the tree and snag their gifts and molest them until they guess what is inside.  My forgetting the tags meant they didn't know which gifts were theirs, and they are not so crass as to manhandle all the gifts, so they were forced to leave them all alone.  Ever since, I have distributed my gifts by memory.  Sometimes I do have to cop a quick feel of the wrapped gift to give my brain a nudge, but it's worked well.

One of my DH's sisters is an architect, and she wraps her gifts in unneeded blueprints from her firm.  It's a very interesting medium and after she adds ribbon is quite pretty.

*One of my good friends works for an environmental firm that guides people in making good choices for the earth - even though she doesn't get on my case for wrapping gifts in paper, I just can't bring myself to do it when it comes to her gifts.  Therefore, hers get wrapped in a dish towel and tied with a fabric ribbon.  (So she has a bunch of dish towels that don't match; she doesn't care.)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 03:05:48 PM »
My wrapping is instantly recognizable under the family Christmas tree.  Back in the late 90s I bought a gigantic roll of green paper with red poinsettias printed on it from BigBoxClubStore.  At the time, I had no idea how huge this roll actually was.  I have wrapped almost every one* of my Christmas gifts in that paper ever since, and I am still only about two-thirds through it.  It's become something of a family joke, where someone (usually my MIL) picks up one of the gifts and turns it over and over melodramatically asking, "Now who could this be from?"

Now, I would be saving up that wrapping paper as I unwrapped gifts one year, and then I'd wrap every one of MY gifts to YOU in it. Just to yank your chain.

(I used to always use penguin paper, and never put a "from" on it--the paper was supposed to be enough to clue you in.)

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »
I wrap gifts in coordinating paper (every year I buy paper with green/red/gold themes, so this isn't hard) and top with curling ribbon.  For the last 5 years, I also included a handmade wire-ribbon bow as part of the bow, which could be re-used.  I didn't have time to do that on all my presents this year, though.  I'll probably start making them earlier in the year next year so I can do it again!

I love wrapping and don't use gift bags unless necessary.  I love making all my presents look beautiful wrapped under the tree.  However, I do it for me--I don't care what others do.  I do like it to be wrapped somehow, though.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »
Years ago, we changed our Christmas decorations from the traditional red/green/gold to a funkier, more "us" scheme of blue/purple/white/silver.  We buy paper, ribbons and bags accordingly so that when the presents go under the tree, they'll look like they belong.

Enter DH's stepmother.  She hates blue.  She's also super-traditional.  I always feel a little funny giving her gift bags in blue and/or purple, so I try to either wrap her gifts or use white/silver bags.  This year, I was desperate and had to use a lovely blue bag with a pretty photo of a white and silver tree on it.  She asked me if I wanted it back.  I said "no" because I consider the bag part of the present, and didn't want to seem possessive of my bag. 

When we went to leave, I noticed she'd put the bag with my purse.   ;D  What can I say?  The woman truly hates the color blue, which is kind of sad considering it's my FIL's favorite color.

I like to take lidded boxes and wrap the box and lid separately.  My mother loves loves loves this and still has boxes I wrapped like that when I was a teenager coughtwentyyearsagocough.  She stores her small Christmas doodads in them, and gives them to people she knows will give them back to her next year!

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2009, 07:38:38 PM »
I usually wrap the box and lid separately, too!  The only time I don't do that is when the box and lid are already decorative (like the nice gold ones made for jewelry), when I just either put on a contrasting ribbon and bow or wrap it first in paper like the other paper in the group.

The last time I did a serious job of the box and lid thing was when I gave my college buddy a serious quantity of Playboy barware for Christmas three years ago.  I found wrapping paper with the rabbit head icon on it and wrapped the lids in it and then grabbed copier paper boxes at the office.  The boxes were wrapped in plain white paper.  He still has them.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2009, 10:18:10 AM »
I made my first origami gift box last night. :D It's sitting here very cute with a necklace in it for a friend.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »
Recently my brother’s Japanese GF came to visit us. In Japan, the cultural custom for giving gifts stipulates that they must be wrapped, and wrapped very nicely. It’s insulting if it isn’t, because it looks like one hasn’t taken the time and care with the gift, presentation is very important. My mom and I took our gifts to her to Macy’s to be wrapped because neither of us are good enough gift wrappers to satisfy this ‘requirement’.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »
Recently my brother’s Japanese GF came to visit us. In Japan, the cultural custom for giving gifts stipulates that they must be wrapped, and wrapped very nicely. It’s insulting if it isn’t, because it looks like one hasn’t taken the time and care with the gift, presentation is very important. My mom and I took our gifts to her to Macy’s to be wrapped because neither of us are good enough gift wrappers to satisfy this ‘requirement’.

I will confess that I think this, even though I'm not Japanese. I'm totally willing to cut people some slack, and i completely understand that some people just aren't good at gift wrapping.

But I'm not charmed by a gift given in sloppily prepared wrapping. And the newspaper is acceptable when you're little, or if it's the paper from your birthday.

My DH used to wrap gifts by smushing aluminum foil around them, and if I'm completely honest, I'll admit that I thought it was rude. I got him to stop as quickly as I could.

and I think that instinct is why I don't really like gift bags. They just seem so uninvolved. I will use them *only* for presents that wouldn't fit in any other bag.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
I must be one of the most horrible gift-wrappers on the planet.  My 'style' is to pay someone else to do it or if pressed, put the present in a gift bag.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »
I will often wrap something and put it in a gift bag if it's a birthday gift.  Christmas gets one or the other, but not both.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2009, 10:54:20 PM »
I have a huge stockpile of plain brown bags of various sizes that I buy whenever I see them on sale.  I also get the large packages of variety tissue solids from Costco.  I also buy pretty ribbons, including the large spools of curling ribbon in every color, when it's on sale. 

Baby boy gift?  Plain brown gift bag, two or three sheets of baby-blue tissue and some kind of blue print or solid ribbon to tie it up. 

Christmas?  Plain brown gift bag, green/red/white tissues and some kind of Christmas print ribbon to tie it up. 

Birthday gift?  Plain brown gift bag, a few sheets of pink and brown tissue and some pink ribbon with brown polka dots to tie it up.

You get the idea...

nekoro

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »
It's a good thing my family only does this among ourselves, otherwise we would be the rudest gift givers ever.  :P

For us, a present is as much a prank as a gift.  We love to wrap things weirdly, or make it really hard to get to.  Notorious among us was the time my parents gave my brother a gift card...inside a refrigerator box.  But the box was very nicely wrapped.  ;D  For a couple of years running I had a treasure hunt for every one of my little brother's gifts.  Last Christmas, I got my sister 3 pairs of fluffy socks, and wrapped each sock individually.  You get the idea.

However, anything given outside the immediate family is always wrapped nicely or placed inside a gift bag, we don't torture anyone else this way. >:D